What actually causes hemi tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I have had Hemis with over 200k never tick . I have bought one with 117k that majorly ticks BUT they did not change the oil very often when you look inside the engine. So hopefully changing the oil will help it to never tick.

HarleyMartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
I am new to ram. I have a 2018 1500 with 27k miles and it does not have the tick so I am wondering what causes it? I have read that redline oil seems to so the trick with quieting the tick. Currently running pennzoil platinum 5w20 at 6k intervals with a wix xp

HarleyMartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
I am new to ram. I have a 2018 1500 with 27k miles and it does not have the tick so I am wondering what causes it? I have read that redline oil seems to so the trick with quieting the tick. Currently running pennzoil platinum 5w20 at 6k intervals with a wix xp

i have a RAM of Jan 2018 with 171000km on it and no problems at all, i use Amsoil 5w20

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think when we hear any tick in our engines we just have thoughts of wiped cams/lifters, broken exhaust manifold bolts, etc.

The reality is what I hear as "horrible" someone else might hear as normal, or not even hear at all. My engine makes some ticking noises while running....yet cold startups are as quiet (if not quieter) than our Lexus. I think some of the tick i hear during running is the injectors, some is some random accessory noise and maybe a very slight hint of piston slap.

MaxCare Lifetime, although I prefer to do my own oil changes. Order the oil from Amazon so I have receipts, with a stock filter from the dealer.

Once my bumper to bumper warranty is over (October) I *might* change to the dealer doing oil changes so I have the extended records, but I still didnt like how the engine sounded (ha!) after 3K miles or so on PYB.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to think mine ticked until I heard a hemi here at work that did. It was LOUD and makes mine seem silent.

Mine has sounded exactly the same since brand new, I'm at 260,000km without issue so I'm not worried about my "tick". It sounds like injector noise almost.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I used to think mine ticked until I heard a hemi here at work that did. It was LOUD and makes mine seem silent.

Mine has sounded exactly the same since brand new, I'm at 260,000km without issue so I'm not worried about my "tick". It sounds like injector noise almost.
Yeah and those injectors are unnecessarily loud for not being direct injection lol.

Jordo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would first confirm it’s not a broken manifold bolt. Which is covered under warranty.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 30Km on my 2017 Outdoorsman...Live in B.C. Canada...outside temp this morning -28 c.
Change oil every 4000Km have notice just after startup beginning to hear tick...running non synthetic as I wanted proper break in and ring sealing...now time to change oil...but to what?

I live in Ontario and have a 2017 Longhorn ... I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 extended performance oil with a Mobil 1 extended performance filter ... you can get both a Canadian Tire at a decent price when it goes on sale ... as an alternative I will use Castrol Edge extended performance synthetic 5W20 ... both work well and my engine runs smooth ...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's not normal if your engine sounds like it is knocking and then you change to a different oil and the tick/knock goes away. If you go back to the oil that the engine was knocking on one could expect problems, especially in the long term. Hemi tick is not necessarily cam/lifter damage, but there certainly is a correlation. As in some engines can tick for 100k miles and still take more, but many cannot. And plenty of examples of ticking before the cam is wiped. Redline seams to be the best answer at this point because this has an unbelievable success rate and this is why most guys tried it. But, one would think if you follow the science of this you can duplicate the result. I'm not sure why someone would bother since 12 bucks a qrt aint terribly expensive for what you get, but whatever.

It's a quagmire for sure, brought to us via FCA quality. You can try replacing lifters, maybe it will work maybe not. But since there is no real way to test which one is bad you will likely being changing an entire side of the engine to attempt to get rid of the tick. Or dump Redline in and if you believe the result of the thread have a near 90% the issue with be "better" or a 60% chance the tick will be gone. Honestly the success rate is so high, it almost makes you wonder the few times it doesn't work if in those trucks it is something other then lifters.

What to do if you can't rid the tick with a lubrication strategy and a lifter swap? Turn up the radio and hope you have one that can tick w/o a cam being wiped...

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I live in Ontario and have a 2017 Longhorn ... I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 extended performance oil with a Mobil 1 extended performance filter ... you can get both a Canadian Tire at a decent price when it goes on sale ... as an alternative I will use Castrol Edge extended performance synthetic 5W20 ... both work well and my engine runs smooth ...
Fram Filtration makes Mobile & Mopar filters.......if you were curious.....

https://www.b4usa.com/champion-laboratories-inc/

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
People can't even agree on which tick is "the" Hemi Tick.

There’s your sign. First you need to know what a Hemi is. LOL. Only then you can figure the rest out. I don’t have a Hemi right now so I will get out of here for now. Good luck y’all.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Longtube headers and an electric cutout will fix any tick you may have, much cheaper than dropping $80 minimum an oil change. $50 extra per throughout 100K(5k miles OCI) miles and you have the LTs paid off!

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it’s starts when you empty a entire bottle of Aunt Jemima into the engine, she starts ticking for damn sure!
At least that’s what I heard. lol

Octane

Reaction score
I had a 232cid amc engine that had 1 or twio rockers that ticked.For 165k it ticked and I sold the car after 12 years still running great and then the car ticked for the next guy and ran on and on and on and on......and on.lol Only time it never ticked was when I put new speakers and a amp in it.Don't know how a radio can stop a tick but only time it ever ticked after that was when I turned that radio off...weird right?

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey, bro i am using the same pp synthetic-same weight and a wix when i can find it or a mobil1 filter{synthetic} 5w-20 seem to work on mine as its a 2012 and runs as new. I do have low mileage 70,000km though. My hemi might make what could be described as a tick but it only lasts for 5 seconds maybe and once she comes down to idle-20 seconds maybe all sounds smooth. Has been that way for years so i have no concerns whatsoever. Every vehicle i have owned sounds quieter and smoother once they idle down a bit.My Hemi is every bit as powerful and accelerates as she has since new. Dont overthink it too much unless you notice a constant noise after its up to working temps and a drop in performance especially upon acceleration. My 2 cents from an older RAM.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I’ve always ran 93 and at 35k my 18 hemi silent also I do mobil 1 xcare and xcare filter (i don’t think the oil and filt make a difference)

it’s running less than 93 or min 91- ur getting knock at lower grades and that’s what causes it. Once it’s knocked for a while you have effed up a bearing and that is the mechanical tick

I worked in a refinery knock room same exact thing would happen to the knock engines. we could trend it down to the day when the knock engine needed to be replaced and yes some would last longer than others due to the mechanical process of putting the motor together

just know even with 93 your motor still knocks just close to 100 percent less

Last edited: