What can / cant be upgraded in trim levels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

eldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Pentastar
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

We've decided to look at various bighorn/longhorn discounted stock units around town (Houston) with level 2 package.

This gets me everything I really want.
I'd hoped to hear that it would make enough sense to buy cheap and upgrade later.

This weekend is 5th Gen shopping it looks like.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

eldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Pentastar
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

We've decided to look at various bighorn/longhorn discounted stock units around town (Houston) with level 2 package.

This gets me everything I really want.
I'd hoped to hear that it would make enough sense to buy cheap and upgrade later.

This weekend is 5th Gen shopping it looks like.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not enough people are around that have tried to do these things, but based on my experience with other trucks and what you are looking for, the only possible thing I see on that list that you might do "plug and play" is the garage door opener, which on my truck is on the visor. Everything else on that list is going to be a boatload of work & money. Keep in mind that virtually anything can be done if you're willing to throw enough money at something - look at custom vehicles. But I get the sense what you want to do is just plug and play these things. Virtually everything on that list requires special harnesses that are probably omitted depending on the trim level; I know on my Titan you couldn't (easily) add memory to the mirrors because the trim level got a different harness, even though you could get power and heated on both trim levels.

There's no compelling reason for the manufacturer to spend more money on buried harnesses so they don't. The exception to that is if there is an accessory they want to make available to the dealers for add-on purposes, but nothing on your list fits that description, because FCA also wants to upsell vehicles and they're not going to let dealers have people buy Tradesman and then just cherry-pick the parts they want.

For what you want, you definitely want to get into at least a Bighorn. I have a pretty loaded vehicle and I don't have some of the options you list (like AC seats and power folding mirrors with my tow package).
I respectfully disagree, I bought a Tradesman and have turned it into a Big horn for around $5,000. Waaaaauyyyy less than buying a big horn. The harness’ you need are all readily available and the ones that aren’t are available on this forum from @Mpgrimm2. There are actually tons of people on this forum who have taken low trim packages and upgrades all the way to limited. Every interior upgrade I’ve done has been crazy easy.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The starting price difference between a 4th gen tradesman and big horn is usually around 5k, last time I checked anyway. There are some options that are easy to add while others are much more involved and cost more as well.

If you’re someone that has the time ,tools, and knowledge to be adding all the options you want then you can do that.

If you don’t want to be ripping your truck apart to do that then buying the truck you want is a better option. Keep in mind too that if you buy the truck that way you also get the normal warranty on all those items.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The starting price difference between a 4th gen tradesman and big horn is usually around 5k, last time I checked anyway. There are some options that are easy to add while others are much more involved and cost more as well.

If you’re someone that has the time ,tools, and knowledge to be adding all the options you want then you can do that.

If you don’t want to be ripping your truck apart to do that then buying the truck you want is a better option. Keep in mind too that if you buy the truck that way you also get the normal warranty on all those items.
Wasn’t even close to 5K it was close to 12k difference. And the 36k warranty, at least for me was 1 year so that doesn’t even factor in to my equation plus the fun of upgrading/modding the truck. But yeah if you can’t use tools then by all means pay the extra to fiat.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wasn’t even close to 5K it was close to 12k difference. And the 36k warranty, at least for me was 1 year so that doesn’t even factor in to my equation plus the fun of upgrading/modding the truck. But yeah if you can’t use tools then by all means pay the extra to fiat.

That couldn’t have been a base tradesman compared to a base big horn if it was a 12k difference on brand new trucks. Must have been an optioned out bighorn. Even the 5th gen tradesman to big horn is around a 5k difference. 12k above a tradesman puts you into rebel/Laramie range.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I respectfully disagree, I bought a Tradesman and have turned it into a Big horn for around $5,000. Waaaaauyyyy less than buying a big horn. The harness’ you need are all readily available and the ones that aren’t are available on this forum from @Mpgrimm2. There are actually tons of people on this forum who have taken low trim packages and upgrades all the way to limited. Every interior upgrade I’ve done has been crazy easy.

But it's still a Tradesmen when you trade it off,alibit maybe a loaded up one,but usually you don't get much or anything extra for a modded truck at trade off time,at least that's been my experience

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That couldn’t have been a base tradesman compared to a base big horn if it was a 12k difference on brand new trucks. Must have been an optioned out bighorn. Even the 5th gen tradesman to big horn is around a 5k difference. 12k above a tradesman puts you into rebel/Laramie range.
I pad 32,450 for my 2018 2500 Tradesman, ever BH I looked at was in the 45-47k range soooo it is what it is.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ah that makes sense, didn’t know you had a 2500. I was thinking 1500. 4th gen HD trucks had quite a big margin between tradesman and big horns.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, @Wild one nailed it...when I run your VIN to check out the window sticker, it’ll always and forever be a Tradesman, no matter what you did to it.

If you saved tons of cash by adding options yourself (and had fun in the process), then great, but don’t expect me to compensate you for your time and money at resale. Not trying to be cruel, just real.

Good luck, my fellow Texan, with your search...and be sure to post some pics of the purchase!

TXCOMT

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pad 32,450 for my 2018 2500 Tradesman, ever BH I looked at was in the 45-47k range soooo it is what it is.
Aren't you in the wrong forum then? The poster asked about a 2019. How do you know what you did can be done to a 2019? Also, none of what he listed is part of Bighorn anyway; it's all Laramie stuff. I'd be surprised if you could go from a tradesman to a Laramie.

As I said, though, nothing is impossible with a vehicle if you have a big enough wallet :) . You spent $5k. I bought my 2019 Bighorn for 36750. I think Tradesman were about 33-34k. So in my case trying to do what you did would have cost more money. I'm doubtful I could turn this Bighorn into a Laramie for $5k.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aren't you in the wrong forum then? The poster asked about a 2019. How do you know what you did can be done to a 2019? Also, none of what he listed is part of Bighorn anyway; it's all Laramie stuff. I'd be surprised if you could go from a tradesman to a Laramie.

As I said, though, nothing is impossible with a vehicle if you have a big enough wallet :) . You spent $5k. I bought my 2019 Bighorn for 36750. I think Tradesman were about 33-34k. So in my case trying to do what you did would have cost more money. I'm doubtful I could turn this Bighorn into a Laramie for $5k.
Makes no difference 4th gen or 5th gen people are going to do the same or similar mods. I’ve already used Alfa OBD on a 5th gen to change settings in a BCM. My point was only that many people enjoy working on their vehicles and check out the forums, people started swapping parts the minute they could.
And you are correct, Laramie interiors are quite expensive but so is the Laramie itself.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the 4th gen forum so ......
Makes no difference 4th gen or 5th gen people are going to do the same or similar mods. I’ve already used Alfa OBD on a 5th gen to change settings in a BCM. My point was only that many people enjoy working on their vehicles and check out the forums, people started swapping parts the minute they could.
And you are correct, Laramie interiors are quite expensive but so is the Laramie itself.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
You can't get memory seats or powered pedals..... As of yet, you can swap the leather trim dash and the Alpine speakers/amp but that's annoying as heck to do. You can also install leather trim steering wheel and upgrade the keyless entry, everything else you covered

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can't get memory seats or powered pedals..... As of yet
Are you talking about adding them after the fact? You sure can. Every option can be added after the fact without dealer intervention.
Like said before, it depends how worthwhile it is to any particular person on whether or not to just install all the options they want. Me, personally, I bought a 2500 tradesman with figuring out adding options specifically in mind. I have no allusions as to how much it does or doesn’t add to the value of the truck. That’s why most of us that do this keep the original parts and return the truck to stock, and sell off the upgrade parts. I wouldn’t say I turned my truck into a specific trim level, because I cherrypicked options that I wanted from all trim levels, but, it all cost me about 1/4 of what it would have been factory. I used all used parts from car-part except for adding keyless enter n go, which required a ****** rf hub and fob, so, that’s the only option that’ll stay with the truck if I sell it.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Are you talking about adding them after the fact? You sure can. Every option can be added after the fact without dealer intervention.
Like said before, it depends how worthwhile it is to any particular person on whether or not to just install all the options they want. Me, personally, I bought a 2500 tradesman with figuring out adding options specifically in mind. I have no allusions as to how much it does or doesn’t add to the value of the truck. That’s why most of us that do this keep the original parts and return the truck to stock, and sell off the upgrade parts. I wouldn’t say I turned my truck into a specific trim level, because I cherrypicked options that I wanted from all trim levels, but, it all cost me about 1/4 of what it would have been factory. I used all used parts from car-part except for adding keyless enter n go, which required a ****** rf hub and fob, so, that’s the only option that’ll stay with the truck if I sell it.
try to add them then and put up a diy

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so you gonna do it then? and post up a diy so we can all gain from your knowledge?
Am I gonna do the pedals? Probably not, as they’re perfect where they’re at for me, and I would never use it. For those that truly want to do it, it’s pretty much a direct swap. I was wrong about needing a harness. I have a tradesman and looked up under the steering wheel, and everything is already there. The pedal connector is plugged into a dummy plug by the pedals, and the switch connector is wrapped in foam by the steering column.

Parts you need:

Pedal assembly- 04581692AF

Switch- 56046113AA

Remove steering wheel (plenty of writups and vids on this) and steering column-

DRjIytE.jpg

Remove the existing pedal assembly-

JQkZSeO.jpg

Install new pedal assembly. Cut appropriate size hole in lower panel for the switch to snap into. Reassemble everything and plug all the connectors in. Using AlfaOBD, go the VehicleConfig 3 and enable adjustable pedal feature, and you’re all set.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm thinking about doing a backup camera writeup without getting the $400 harness and camera kit. Would anyone be interested.