What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet...now pull that B-pillar tape off and you'll be set!

TXCOMT

Wow...I didn't even see that. I'm actually going to loom the loose wires as well.

Should have known giving her a bath yesterday wasn't going to last. This sure wasn't mentioned in the forecast! At least I actually got to use 4WD :)

20190201_100339_zpsgee8r6m2.jpg

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered some color matched Rough Country pocket fender flares for my truck!!!

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Watched a few videos and decided to try my hand at color matching. Bright white will be color coat, so far it's going well. Letting the primer set overnight so I can dry sand and get this done, fingers crossed. 20b39ce4d9023276a52e782e2f3bdd1c.jpgae208602532e6f77b1356aa991dea22a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think some guys used AlfaOBD to get the auto climate swap working, check the DIY Alfa thread to be sure or ask @kad

Wasn't me, I just swapped to the slightly "fancier" manual HVAC panel that goes with the 8.4" radios. I'd suggest checking out this thread for the necessary hardware and sensors:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ho...to-a-manual-temperature-control-truck.103456/

There is a trick to getting the settings right using AlphaOBD, there are instructions in the Known Working Settings file linked in the first post of the AphaOBD thread here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

<soapbox>
Honestly, after dealing with the ATC in my wife's 2018 Subaru, I have no desire to make that particular upgrade on my truck. It's a PITA, constantly bringing the AC system online to bring the temp back down to the setting even in very cold weather and cranking the fan to conversation eliminating noise levels.

If I could have kept the completely manual HVAC controls in my truck that I originally had, I would have. I don't even like having to tap up and down buttons to adjust the temp on the 8.4 system, I preferred the dial. I also don't like the fact that you loose the ability to set the system to the in-between states of the blend door modes. The manual system effectively had about 7 modes including the in-between settings. The so-called higher system only has the 4 modes, I haven't found any way to get the in-between modes. And yes, I used them! If the panel that properly frames the 8" radio and keeps the original HVAC controls that Infotainment sells had a properly working volume control I would have been happier with that.

</soapbox>

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally like the auto setup in the truck. Mine never seems to "shut off" completely, it does bring the fan down really low eventually. I have auto climate control in our other cars too and the truck works just about as well, for far less money than the cars cost me :)

The *only* thing I dont like about it is that it seems to bring the fan online during remote start, no matter the temperature of the incoming air (i.e. the engine is still cold). Not sure if that is wrong or what, but once the key is put in and the truck is turned to RUN (which takes it out of remote start mode), the fan stops until the air is warm enough to get it to come back on.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shot the color, waiting for it to set to wet sand. Clear still has me intimidated513c312094facd905069f10b0086f5cb.jpg

I hate clear coat. Never really looks good until u wet sand it. Hard to tell how even the coats are as well. Take your time looks really good so far.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I hate clear coat. Never really looks good until u wet sand it. Hard to tell how even the coats are as well. Take your time looks really good so far.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I have been fighting with lousy lighting since it's in my basement and I wasn't buying lights specifically just for this.

I sanded the balls out of the chrome, adhesion coat I didn't touch, a full can of high build primer so about 5 coats, 1000 grit dry sand, 1500 wet, shot color, 2 cans about 4-5 coats last one being thicker and wet. Now waiting for it to set so I can 2000 grit wet sand and see how it looks. Gonna grab 2500 and 3000 for clear and I have low cut polishing compound once I wet the clear. All out of spray cans. So far I've managed to have almost zero imperfections, now it's a matter of keeping it that way. When in doubt I sand it. So far I have like 4 hours in sanding work and about 30-45mins of actual paint.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been fighting with lousy lighting since it's in my basement and I wasn't buying lights specifically just for this.

I sanded the balls out of the chrome, adhesion coat I didn't touch, a full can of high build primer so about 5 coats, 1000 grit dry sand, 1500 wet, shot color, 2 cans about 4-5 coats last one being thicker and wet. Now waiting for it to set so I can 2000 grit wet sand and see how it looks. Gonna grab 2500 and 3000 for clear and I have low cut polishing compound once I wet the clear. All out of spray cans. So far I've managed to have almost zero imperfections, now it's a matter of keeping it that way. When in doubt I sand it. So far I have like 4 hours in sanding work and about 30-45mins of actual paint.

So the moral of your story: if this doesn't work, it's not for the lack of trying! Man, I got tired just reading ... hats off to you and good luck!

TXCOMT

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So the moral of your story: if this doesn't work, it's not for the lack of trying! Man, I got tires just reading ... hats off to you and good luck!

TXCOMT
Paint is the only thing I've never tried. My ocd is bad enough it has been goin well. Actually impressed with how the color coat came out. Might wet sand and shoot another wet coat, than it'll be damn near perfect. Clear coat, that's a whole other ball game for me. I normally just bed liner **** and call it done. So this is weird for me lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know, it might be a good application for using a paint *coating* instead of trying to clearcoat it. Im not sure if the coating will leave it glossy, though.

Something like Optimum Gloss Coat, GTechniq Crystal Serum, etc.

Im with you though...ive done some basic painting before and clearcoat is a mystery to me. How the hell do you get it to go on perfectly smooth without sanding it? Because if you sand it you are essentially 'starting over' with no clearcoat.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You know, it might be a good application for using a paint *coating* instead of trying to clearcoat it. Im not sure if the coating will leave it glossy, though.

Something like Optimum Gloss Coat, GTechniq Crystal Serum, etc.

Im with you though...ive done some basic painting before and clearcoat is a mystery to me. How the hell do you get it to go on perfectly smooth without sanding it? Because if you sand it you are essentially 'starting over' with no clearcoat.
I know nothing about paint, so I'm definitely going to look into a coating. As for clear coats, I do know the 2 component ones are the ones that lay smooth and glossy. The spray cans are only one component so I'm not sure. I'll toss a tack coat down and than lay it nice and heavy, almost to the point it sags, but not quite. Than sand and polish till it's good from far

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If someone says anything negative about it I got two suggestions, either hand them a can of paint and sandpaper or tell them to "**** off".
Jay
I have to say you're being nice, I have some words I can use and none of them are acceptable for the forum. [emoji16]