What do you do for your Squat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Hmm, I hadn't seen these Timer Grove ASMS prior to buying the Boss. The look like they might be a little easier to install, and some of the forum members are saying that one side ( I think Right side) of the Boss end up bring off center on the bottom mounting bracket. I'll have to take a closer look, and might end up going with these instead.

Timbergrove air bags are awesome, great fit quality parts and a easy install.
Throw on some Bilstien shocks and its a nice set up.

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I towed this weekend on the Pa Turnpike and I had my equalizer hitch pulled up an extra link to reduce the sag and level it out. I found some plowing, probably to too much weight on the front end. It got scary in tight, high speed turns. I'm considering some heavier shocks, possibly some coil-overs. What are the Billsteins like and how much are they, compared to airbags?
I just checked on some airbag kits from AutoZone and found one for around $100. Will that be a good option?

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Rick R ok now that is different than your other post. Plowing, scary in turns. I would guess the same thing too much weight on the steers. Shocks coilovers airbags. None of that fixes bad weight distribution. Stop guessing and considering throwing parts at it and weight the rig to remove all doubt. Bet the numbers quickly reveal the problem.

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my post is somewhat different because of some experience with this truck in actual on-road use. I'll try not putting too much tension on the equalizer bars, but I still want to eliminate some of the bucking when towing. I've looked into some shock absorber assist, but I'm baffled with the air assist suspension in the rear. Can I add a shock where there wasn't one? Do I replace the small air assist bags? Do after market air bags fit into the coil springs? Where do I go from here?

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I consulted with a friend who recently bought a similar truck (Ram) and trailer. His son in-law works for an RV dealer and showed him how to fine tune his hitch for optimum positioning. I'm planning to do the same with mine. I suppose it's the standard way of setting up the height of the hitch ball in relation to the trailer's receiver. I'm thinking that my RV dealer did it properly when I bought my trailer, but it's worth checking, anyway. His trailer is a bit bigger than mine and he's had no problems at all.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Well thats good but again at the end the day the answer or solution will likely be found the same place. In your steer weight, drive weight, and tongue weight percentage. A CAT scale weighs all three axles at the same time to provide you the information you need to make your rig tow its best with balance & stability. Start your setup following hitch manufacturer instruction then Adjust your hitch & redistribute TV & TT load weight per scale results until the axle and tongue weight numbers meet manufacturer spec for your truck.

Many RV dealerships use eyeball looks good method some do better with some basic measurements both of which are to get you in the ball park. Any weight redistribution & sway control via WDH is better than none. Actual proper setup is done with a wet trailer and utilizing a triple scale.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
+1 for the Cat scale method. First thing I did after leaving the camper dealer.

MTA89

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trading for an HD is fine each has pros cons & tradeoffs. That said with WDH & bags 7,500 won’t be any issue. Especially if you have an 8 speed ED or Hemi. 10,000 now that’s a flipping load for the 1500 platform.

Unintiated here. What does WDH stand for? Thanks in advance

MTA89

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weight Distribution Hitch
I read a few more posts and someone spelled it out lol I never even knew they made something like that but then again I either haul my quad in the bed or pull smaller sized trailers

Thanks though I do appreciate it

Tom D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am getting a new power wagon this week. Putting in a decked system (229lb) and about 225lbs in gear. Since this weight is distributed over the whole bed and axle, will I have much squat? And with years will squat get worse? That's about 1/3 of it's rated payload.

Thanks

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am getting a new power wagon this week. Putting in a decked system (229lb) and about 225lbs in gear. Since this weight is distributed over the whole bed and axle, will I have much squat? And with years will squat get worse? That's about 1/3 of it's rated payload.

Thanks

You should be fine. I got very little squat when I first pulled my 13k 5th wheel. I think the pin weight is just north of 2k & it pretty much just levels the truck. If you think it is sagging too much you can always add air bags.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

Thanks

PW has lower payload than regular 2500s due to the soft offroad suspension system. You will have more squat than a regular 2500 would. You'll have to see how it is loaded and then decide if you need bags

JayLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I previously had the Timbren load supports, but they were all or nothing, so I ended up replacing them with the in coil air bag load levelers. This was a much better option because it gave me the adjustability based on what I was towing or hauling (or unloaded). 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Ecodiesel