what does a bad fuel injector feel like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
Truck started havin a random stall yesterday comin home from work, few times this morn happened again.
Called the shop and he said tried changed fuel filters first (7500 miles on them installed last Jan), after that then it's off to the shop

2017 cummins with 89,300 miles on the truck

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not likely injectors then. Change the filters, should likely resolve your issues. Make sure you use OEM, there were a ton of counterfeit OEM painted/branded being sold on Amazon a short while back, caused no end of problems, including stalling and failures to start.

OP
OP
Average_gatsby45

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
yeah, im hoping reallyl hard that is all it is.......

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this sounds crazy, but take a close look at your truck's batt connections, anyfuses and the cable connections. And the battery to body ground. And wiggle the fuses. They're probably all ok, but it only takes a couple minutes to check and you never know.

Let us know how it goes.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you actually scan for codes or just not check engine light? Most likely filters, and like Dean said just make sure you use genuine OEM filters and don't trust ebay or amazon to get those unless you know what to look for. lots of knock-offs being sold. Highly unlikely injectors are causing your symptoms though.

OP
OP
Average_gatsby45

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
im runnin the fass fuel pump and that last time i had this issue was when it got cold back in dec \ jan -
even when it first started happenin i was more in clined to thing filters, when i was driving a while bumch i swapped them on a regular basis but since i only drive like 8 miles one way to work and 1 long trip to houston a week, i wonder if some gunk settled up in the bottoms of them

the only reason i called the dealership was it being friday, and seein how bad their diesel tech is backed up. where im at there arent any non dealer diesel techs.
basically i was in a pre planning mode to get repair\rental etc etc etc set up that way i lose as little work time as possible

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got to be honest, I don't know why people swap out their fuel pumps. I've seen more issues with the afterarket ones by far over the stock. Yet people say it's a "must have" upgrade. I could see if you were building a race truck but not for mildly tuned daily drivers. That kind of adds another possible problem area for you to look at now.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
im runnin the fass fuel pump and that last time i had this issue was when it got cold back in dec \ jan -
even when it first started happenin i was more in clined to thing filters, when i was driving a while bumch i swapped them on a regular basis but since i only drive like 8 miles one way to work and 1 long trip to houston a week, i wonder if some gunk settled up in the bottoms of them

the only reason i called the dealership was it being friday, and seein how bad their diesel tech is backed up. where im at there arent any non dealer diesel techs.
basically i was in a pre planning mode to get repair\rental etc etc etc set up that way i lose as little work time as possible

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you had a bad injector, There should be codes indicating a mis-fire or something along those lines in the affected cylinder. That's my thought.

OP
OP
Average_gatsby45

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
it's one of those things , had i the do over , i woudnt -- i just got wrapped up in soem keepin with the jonese type thing .

basically i was told that it was designed to help de aertate (sp) increase the fuel pressure and cause less cavitation in the fuel injector