What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't read the thread, so don't know if I'm reiterating anything but here goes:

2017 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4

1) Throttle is "touchy"...even with Pedal Commander. I came from a '98 Ram, so it took some getting used to the drive-by-wire throttle pedal. Still is touchy on occasion.

2) No Android Auto/Apple Carplay - seems like it would just be a software upgrade for the systems with Nav...

3) Charge for Nav maps

4) Low payload - my '98 was just as good

5) When shifting to R from D, the truck will roll forward a foot or two before engaging Reverse

6) Stock Wranglers are crap for traction

7) Built-in "spoiler" on tailgate bulges down so it's hard, if not impossible, to get a wheelbarrow underneath it when unloading dirt/rocks/mulch

These DON'Ts are outweighed by the DO Likes though

Smooth ride from all-coil suspension

Cooled seats are gold in the summer

Stereo is much better than my old '98

Better gas mileage than expected...and with great power from the Hemi

Fold out rear floor - which at first seemed gimmicky, has been very useful

Under floor storage cubbies are great for ratchet straps

Egh, it don’t matter if anyone else has, that’s supposedly not the purpose of the thread so if 30 people whine about the dial shifter, that’s ok. lol.

But when you say your throttle pedal is touchy… I’m assuming since you have a pedal commander that you bought it to desensitize your throttle pedal instead of doing what most people do with it which is to make it even more sensitive?

It’s funny you say that because I always thought that my throttle pedal in my 2018 had way too much lag in it which is why I bought a pedal commander for mine. I’m no longer using it though because for some reason, the one I’ve got, kept throwing the check engine light on my dash because either my truck just did like it, or there was something wrong with it making that happen so I took it off and it sucks because I got really used to how sensitive my pedal was with it.

As far as whether or not a simple firmware update would make your Uconnect to where it had Apple CarPlay or android connect, that’s a good question but at least there is the aftermarket and I was looking at a device for people like myself who do you have the Apple CarPlay and android connect but have to use a direct connection to the radio, that made that wireless but I don’t know, you might check out the web and there might be an adapter you can buy that would add that stuff to your radio.

It does suck that you spend all that money for that truck but they still charge you a pretty hefty price to update the map software on your navigation but as far as I’m concerned, I’d rather just use the maps on my iPhone anyway. And this is talking whether I had Apple CarPlay or not so yeah, I just can’t find that anywhere within myself to say it’s something I don’t like because even if it was free, I wouldn’t be using it anyway.

As far as your shifting issue, maybe you just need to push down on the brake pedal a little harder?

But yeah, those stock goodyears are crap, that’s for sure. Due to the experience of how they were on my old truck, I got rid of the ones I had on my new truck when it only had 1500 miles on it. Got about $400 out of them.

Moving onto your tailgate issue; I guess I’ve never tried to do that in my truck to see if my large two wheeled wheelbarrow would fit underneath my tailgate when it was down.... But just out of curiosity, is it the load you have in your truck bed that causes the clearance issue? In other words, does your wheelbarrow squeeze under there when you’re empty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edglock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remembered one more Don't Like:

When using a USB drive for music, the system sorts the songs alphabetically rather than by track # (at least mine does and I haven't found a way to change it)

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right now... I don't like that I have the shortest bed available. I'm debating selling just so I can get a truck with an 8' bed... but would need to keep to at least a Quad Cab, Crew preferred.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right now... I don't like that I have the shortest bed available. I'm debating selling just so I can get a truck with an 8' bed... but would need to keep to at least a Quad Cab, Crew preferred.

So, if you don’t like it then why did you buy a truck with that short of a bed? But if you’re wanting a crew cab with an 8 foot bed, you’re gonna have to look into a three-quarter ton.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Haven't read the thread, so don't know if I'm reiterating anything but here goes:

2017 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4

1) Throttle is "touchy"...even with Pedal Commander. I came from a '98 Ram, so it took some getting used to the drive-by-wire throttle pedal. Still is touchy on occasion.

2) No Android Auto/Apple Carplay - seems like it would just be a software upgrade for the systems with Nav...

3) Charge for Nav maps

4) Low payload - my '98 was just as good

5) When shifting to R from D, the truck will roll forward a foot or two before engaging Reverse

6) Stock Wranglers are crap for traction

7) Built-in "spoiler" on tailgate bulges down so it's hard, if not impossible, to get a wheelbarrow underneath it when unloading dirt/rocks/mulch

These DON'Ts are outweighed by the DO Likes though

Smooth ride from all-coil suspension

Cooled seats are gold in the summer

Stereo is much better than my old '98

Better gas mileage than expected...and with great power from the Hemi

Fold out rear floor - which at first seemed gimmicky, has been very useful

Under floor storage cubbies are great for ratchet straps
This may solve one of your problems...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I hear ya. In some ways, I think a column shift would’ve been better but when you put it as “truck-like”, I’d rather have a knob rather than that console shifter like they copied from Phord like 5 years ago. To me, that’s not even truck-like at all. That’s more like car-like or mini SUV-like. If there’s a shifter stick in the middle, it better be connected directly to the transmission with a third pedal for a clutch or it has no business being in a truck if it has an automatic. That’s just me I spose.

I agree. The console shifter from a few years ago is worse than the dial.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
That's why I kept my Magnum they are classic

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I don't think there are too many on the road. I see a lot more blue ovals and bowties. I guess the amount of them you see depends on where you live.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has probably been mentioned but really wish the fuel filler door locked when you locked the doors. I also struggle getting a full tank, the pump seems to stop way before full and i don’t want to force more fuel in and spill all over my truck.
My wife thinks the visor mirrors were bigger - I am old and bald so no issues for me, I avoid mirrors!
The dial shifter took some getting used to as I kept changing the volume when putting in drive.
Overall extremely pleased with the new vehicle.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has probably been mentioned but really wish the fuel filler door locked when you locked the doors.
I don’t think that ones been mentioned but yeah, that would be nice.

I also struggle getting a full tank, the pump seems to stop way before full and i don’t want to force more fuel in and spill all over my truck.

I’m confused; if it’s full enough to spill all over your truck then why would you feel like you have to force more into it to get a full tank? I don’t get that.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
4th Gen. "dislikes"?

What are some of the least things you like about your 4th generation Ram? (This isn't a knock on the truck at all. I LOVE my Ram and this is my second brand new Ram in 10 years.)
I guess I'll go first.
I don't really like the windshield washer nozzles on the hood. I like the way they were on my 3rd gen Daytona. The other thing I'm not too crazy about is the way the MDS comes on/engages. Don't like the "drone" I guess you call it. These aren't real issues for me, just wanted to see what others have to share.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
4th Gen. "dislikes"?

What are some of the least things you like about your 4th generation Ram? (This isn't a knock on the truck at all. I LOVE my Ram and this is my second brand new Ram in 10 years.)
I guess I'll go first.
I don't really like the windshield washer nozzles on the hood. I like the way they were on my 3rd gen Daytona. The other thing I'm not too crazy about is the way the MDS comes on/engages. Don't like the "drone" I guess you call it. These aren't real issues for me, just wanted to see what others have to share.
The uncomfortable seats

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
42k later I still do not like the dial shifter, our new Jeep has a 8sp and has a nice console shifter.
Every time I look at that console shifter in the GC I can't help but think why they didn't do something like that in the Rams....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The uncomfortable seats

I guess maybe because my driver seat has more adjustability to it and because it’s been more conformed to my ass since it gets used the most, it’s actually pretty comfortable but if I ever ride in the front passenger seat, it’s nowhere near as comfortable....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
42k later I still do not like the dial shifter, our new Jeep has a 8sp and has a nice console shifter.

Is it because you just can’t get used to it or does the ability to get used to it not have anything to do with why you don’t like it?

I don’t know, I may be wrong but it just seems to me that the people who don’t like the dial shifter are the ones who just simply cannot adjust themselves to it. I’ve gotten pretty well accustomed to mine so, in a sense, why would I have anything negative to say about it? And then again too, because I’m quite the opposite about that colsole shifter, I figure if I can’t have the column shifter then I’d much rather have the dial shifter over the console shifter.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I look at that console shifter in the GC I can't help but think why they didn't do something like that in the Rams....

They did. When did the eight speed come out? Whenever that eight speed came out, wasn’t that when they went from the console shifter to the knob shifter?

But hey, it’s great for me because if my half-ton would’ve still had that console shifter, I would’ve had to go up to a three-quarter ton just so that I could avoid a pickup that looked like it had the interior of a damn car.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They did. When did the eight speed come out? Whenever that eight speed came out, wasn’t that when they went from the console shifter to the knob shifter?

But hey, it’s great for me because if my half-ton would’ve still had that console shifter, I would’ve had to go up to a three-quarter ton just so that I could avoid a pickup that looked like it had the interior of a damn car.

Yeah they had a console shifter in the 09-12 and 13+ with the RFE trans but the 8 speeds always got the dial....