What is causing my 2018 Ram screen to delaminat and I keep getting a message to adjust clock flickering on and off and it is a distraction when drivin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is causing my 2018 Ram screen to delaminat and I keep getting a message to adjust clock flickering on and off and it is a distraction when drivin

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad LOCA and high temperatures. Use the search feature on the forums and look for "delaminating". There are plenty of threads. About your only recourse is to try working with @RamCares, a dealership and Uconnect.

If you're lucky you may get it replaced under warranty. Otherwise it's around $1200 to replace the radio. Others have purchased replacement screens and replaced it themselves. Like I said, search the forum. Lots of good information can be found on this issue.

OP
OP
Wbreed

Wbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMy ram is out of warranty now. I am retired and the truck stays in the garage during the day. I went though the forum and it seems this is a common problem with the 2018 Rams. You would think that a recall would be on them.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah unfortunately there hasn't been a recall. There are many other vehicles experiencing the same issue.

Keep your eyes open for someone selling their radio. The problem you're having with your radio will only get worse. My radio suffered the same problem and I was lucky enough to get mine replaced under warranty. I was under in miles but over in months.

OP
OP
Wbreed

Wbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Made an appointment to get the truck looked at by the local dealership. Will take it from there .

Lancer-AM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can turn off the clock and it will stop it from registering touches there. This happened in my wife's Durango a couple of months ago. Very annoying for sure. If you are handy with electronics, you can fix this for about $50. If you are ok with them, $500, if you don't want to touch it, look for $1000-$1500 from the dealer.

If you want to go the $50 route it is what I did. You remove the screen from the dash and disassemble it taking out the screen module. You break this down further until you are left with just the LCD screen and the digitizer. Using fishing wire and a hair dryer or heat gun, carefully saw through the glue holding the two together.

After you have separated them you will likely be very sticky but you will also have a ton of glue left on the LCD screen. Alcohol, a few razor blades, and paper towels are your friend here. Use the alcohol to soften the glue and holding the razor at an angle to the screen use it to scrape off the glue. Continue this until the screen is perfectly clean. Cleaning solutions may be used for a final buff on the screen. You don't want to leave anything on it.

You can try and clean and reuse the existing digitizer but they can be fragile and it is going to be coated in glue as well. A replacement digitizer can be sourced through eBay or similar. The replacement digitizer is held in place using 3m double sided mounting tape. The unit I ordered already had the tape in place. Assemble the unit like you took it apart careful not to get fingerprints between the screen and digitizer. That's it, $50 and you are back up and running.

Lancer-AM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the $500 fix, you can find replacement screen and digitizers assembled on eBay, just swap them out.

OP
OP
Wbreed

Wbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not good at electronics so unfortunately my route will have the dealer do it . I was quoted $1043
To install a new radio. I’m calling Ram-care first to see if they will help out.

OP
OP
Wbreed

Wbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Waiting on uconnect to get back with me about the delaminating issue now.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Ram cares is helping me, it’s been a few months but I’m actually sitting in the dealer now to get my radio replaced for free. My 2018 Ram radio has been delaminating for about a year now. Started right after my lease was up and I bought the truck.

OP
OP
Wbreed

Wbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How do get in touch with Ram-cares?
Seems like Uconnect is dragging their feet.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Send a message to @RamCares here on the forums and explain what is going on and that you've been in contact with uconnect. Perhaps they can help get answers for you. Have patience, they will get back to you (BTW, I have little to no patience so I realize it's a big ask).

Good luck bud, hopefully it all works out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
How do get in touch with Ram-cares?
Seems like Uconnect is dragging their feet.
Hi Wbreed,
Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN. We'd be happy to look into this concern for you. To send a PM, visit our profile and select "start conversation."

Sarah
Ram Cares