Votes: 83 32.4%
  • 5 or 0 w40

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Special sauce (mixture)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now that's a hell'va commute,lol. Are you 2 wks in 2wks out? There's a few of us Albertans on here,and a few BC'rs too.I'm just north of Calgary/Tach Tech is based out of Lethbridge/Charonblk007 is also Calgary based
I've been hanging around grande prairie the last several years.schedule seems to change constantly, but I usually get out for at least 3 weeks and take a couple off in between when I can.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck had the tick new off the lot but after a few changes its quiet now. Am on 5w20 rp because I wanted to use the last of my stockpile, but in the summer the oil that made it quiet was just plain old 5w20pyb changed at short intervals because it was constantly at the dealer and thats all they use for a basic oil change and since it was there it was convenient. Will see if it stays quiet all winter on synthetic. It's been good for about 3 months so far.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
5W20 synthetic and new filter changed often, am thinking about using some BG MOA as well on my next change. First oil change was at 740 +/- second at 4800 +/-. It has less than 7k right now and the oil is still very clean. As soon as it starts showing dirty at all it gets dropped. Clean oil is your friend!

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been using PUP with K&N filter, however after reading a bunch on the forum about Royal Purple filters and Redline 5w30, I may take this route with my oil change approaching. Only issue is that I can’t find any shops/store that sell the RP filters around the Timmins area and they sure don’t sell any here in Moosonee. Only place to find them is on Amazon.ca for 30+ bucks.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I stayed on rp all winter and it's staying quiet so it seems the interval seems to have more effect than the oil I use. I'll never know for sure though as I never go below 40% remaining on the oil life indicator. 50% is usually my target mileage.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I now run 5W-30 QSUD and Purolator Boss filter and my truck runs smoother than it ever has. I think I finally found my combo and as a bonus its available locally.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I now run 5W-30 QSUD and Purolator Boss filter and my truck runs smoother than it ever has. I think I finally found my combo and as a bonus its available locally.
Both look like good choices. Not having to stockpile ahead of time is a bonus.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think I am going to try and switch from PP and MS02 to QSUD and Lubegard next change. Going to stick with Royal Purple filter. I went from Valvoline to PP awhile back. Truck seems noisier with the PP.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm happy with the QSUD/Boss

Wondering, have you always used QSUD in your truck? Just curious if you switched from a different brand if you noticed any difference in sound or performance.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with PUP 5W30 and RP 10-48, then switched to Redline 5W30 with RP 10-48. I noticed a few members here using the QSUD and a few using the Boss filter. After searching here and watching videos on the Boss filter I decided to give this combo a try and so far this seems to run the best yet. I have UOA for the PUP and RL and will get one for this combo when the time comes. Side bonus is this combo is available at my local advance auto parts so now I dont have to order my oil and filter.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with PUP 5W30 and RP 10-48, then switched to Redline 5W30 with RP 10-48. I noticed a few members here using the QSUD and a few using the Boss filter. After searching here and watching videos on the Boss filter I decided to give this combo a try and so far this seems to run the best yet. I have UOA for the PUP and RL and will get one for this combo when the time comes. Side bonus is this combo is available at my local advance auto parts so now I dont have to order my oil and filter.

Think I am going to make this switch today. Thank you for your help and information, much appreciated!

Reactions: JB1

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Finally got everything finished up. Cleaned my air filter, changed the oil and filter, cleaned my PCV valve filter. Made the switch to QSUD 5W-20 and the Boss filter. Took the truck for about a ten mile round trip, seems to love it so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got everything finished up. Cleaned my air filter, changed the oil and filter, cleaned my PCV valve filter. Made the switch to QSUD 5W-20 and the Boss filter. Took the truck for about a ten mile round trip, seems to love it so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hey great, bet it felt good to get out of the house and work on the truck

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey great, bet it felt good to get out of the house and work on the truck

Yes sir. I've still been working and going to to store as needed. I've got the wife and kids locked in the house, wife works from home anyway. But otherwise I'm on lockdown with the wife and two teenage daughters for a month so far. Don't know if I can do another month or more. If I go missing from the board for awhile, tell the cops to check my backyard for a shallow grave...:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well another year of pyb and mopar filter in the summer and rp with a wix xp filter in the winter and she's still quiet. RP was on sale again so bought more or I would have gone another route as I don't think it's worth the money at full price. Better options out there IMHO, but still good oil. I still change between 4-5,000 miles. Cheap insurance when I buy oil only on sale and filters in bulk from rock auto.

Armkb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5W-30 Redline w/Fram Ultra filter.
5.7 was designed around a 5W-30.
5W-20 is for CAFE specs only. Manual even states 5W-30 is ok to use.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just made the switch to 5w-30 Redline with SRT filter. Hope its as good as everyone sats to quit this thing down. Was using 5w-20 redline so we'll see. Also been using the srt filter for awhile. Oh and added the the ol lubeguard.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5W-30 Redline w/Fram Ultra filter.
5.7 was designed around a 5W-30.
5W-20 is for CAFE specs only. Manual even states 5W-30 is ok to use.

Just to get a few things straight, I don’t think the 5.7 hemi for the Ram 1500 was ever “designed“ around 5W30 engine oil, I’m pretty sure it’s always been designed around 5W20 but it wasn’t up until about 2016 or 2017ish when FCA so conveniently “removed” the option to substitute that 5W20 for 5W30 if 5W20 wasn’t readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk