What is the most gas you put in your 32 gal tank at once

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was trying to empty my tank so I could switch to premium and check mileage. The range said 45miles, and the "Low Fuel" just came on.

But the truck was full after 26.3 gal. I was getting 14mpg, so I expected to have a touch over 3 gal in the tank.

So that is 3gal unaccounted for. Either the pump did not read correctly, or the fuel estimate is wack. Any ideas?

Dan

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Both my '07 1500 and '13 2500 have quite a bit of fuel left in them when it reads empty. The low fuel light goes on (or the display will read it), the needle will go below "E", then the calculator will stop reading and go blank.

Some time after that you will run out of fuel. Don't ask how I know. :anitoof:

Depending on how much you pumped "past the click", there could be several gallons on top of the fuel tank rated capacity. It takes one or two to fill the filler neck, and the total fuel system itself holds another couple.

I find that most pumps are accurately calibrated, as they are certified and tested.

Operator error causes most inconsistencies in regards to "manually calculating" mpg. Try to do it the same pump, same time of day, and let it only hit the first click, then quit. Over several tank-fulls on a regular route (like a daily commute) you can get a real good idea of where you are at.

Many have complained the "Average" tank mpg calculated by our trucks is inaccurate. Many more flip out because they cannot understand the concept of "Current MPG" when it swings wildly from high to low and back while going up and down hills or accelerating from a light to freeway coasting, etc.

Long story short: It is totally common to only put in about 26 Gal when filling these trucks from an indicated "Empty".

:fish_h4h:

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The tanks are basically 27 gallons + a 5 gallon reserve which your EVIC does not measure

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tanks are basically 27 gallons + a 5 gallon reserve which your EVIC does not measure

Thanks guys...good info., and good to know everything is normal.
So far it looks like it is more economical for me to pay 20cents more per gal. for premium. If I get .7mpg better mileage, it saves money in the long run.

But I do need to buy some KY when I fill up an empty tank:rofl:

Dan

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine

Yup...mine does the same thing. 2013 with a 32 gallon tank low fuel light comes on at the same place my 2014 26 gallon tank does. I've wondered this myself, I guess Chrysler couldn't compensate in the software programming for the larger tank. I wonder if they can access it trough their computer and change the tank size?

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the evic and the needle both drop to E to try to prevent people from running out of gas. You should have a few more gallons in that tank, I've only put 30 gallons in mine once and the fuel needle was buried in E for a while.

ramenthusiast

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab Sport
Engine
It's got a Hemi!
I had a 34 gal tank in my 2000 Ram 2500 Sport and one time I took it dangerously close to running out (39 miles past 0 on the DTE). It took 35.2 gallons to fill and left me scratching my head as to how much more was in the tank. With a V10 getting 7-8 mpg I was never brave enough to try and find out.

RAMAlaska

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This begs the old, "if you run out of gas you will burn out your fuel injectors legend."

I know running out of, really low on or if you have really icky stuff in your tank gas, you can burn out a fuel pump. But have you guys ever seen a bad injector because of running out of fuel?

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I put just over 29 gal. last summer coming home from vacation towing a camper and golf cart in the bed. I cut it way too close for me. was reading @ 25 miles to empty and was avg 9.5 mpg.... My ass was chewing the foam out of the seat as hard as it could chew

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
One time, and planning on making it the only time. I did run out of gas. My truck said 34 miles left and fuel light it's on. I had less than a mile to a gas station and boom. Engine died going up a small hill, filled her up from a towing service. She turned over first try so I've learned when the gas light is on. RUN to the nearest station.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know running out of, really low on or if you have really icky stuff in your tank gas, you can burn out a fuel pump. But have you guys ever seen a bad injector because of running out of fuel?

I personally have never heard of this one. And never experienced either bad scenario.

True about stuff dwelling in the bottom of tanks, both the stations, and your own. But, I do not see how an injector could be burned up... more likely to be clogged, possible. More so with water and fluid debris than anything solid that would get trapped in the multiple filters.

Regarding the early death of fuel pumps due to running them on low fuel; I thought that was a Ford rumor, as they used the liquid to cool the pumps. But, I seriously think all of that is B.S.

Plenty of people "on a budget" driving older, high mileage, fragile vehicles with poor maintenance running around on a couple gallons at a time and surviving for lengthy periods.

So, sounds like good coffee house chat, but nothing more.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
$75.00 I wont run her below an 1/8. That way refilling doesnt seem so expensive.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
This begs the old, "if you run out of gas you will burn out your fuel injectors legend."

burn injectors happens in diesels with mechanical injectors as fuel is used to lubricate if they run dry the score on the inside. the other way is if u suck water in. water can blow the tip off the injector.but this is only for high pressure diesel injectors and dosent happen very often but can happen. for gas jobs i highly doubt it

i have nevr filled more than 30 gal in my tank usually 29 gals

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Regarding the early death of fuel pumps due to running them on low fuel; I thought that was a Ford rumor, as they used the liquid to cool the pumps. But, I seriously think all of that is B.S.

Ever see how much heat is generated if you run a submersible pump dry? Or an electric motor with no way to vent the heat? If it's spinning, something is generating heat somewhere. Why not use the medium it's pumping to do it. Same principle as a pump in a sump with a float. Why not just leave it running all the time?

Does sound like BS doesn't it.

5 gallons isn't really a lot if you spread it out over the area of the fuel tank. Uphill/ downhill, left and right turns.... doesn't cover as much.

The pumps electric. It's not mechanically drivin off the camshaft so it doesn't need the engine running to spin away.

mattmaxx877

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Middle of summer, miles left displayed no more, just 'LOW FUEL!!!', fuel needle buried in the E, AC turned off, windows rolled up, radio turned off, drove for 15 miles till I hit a gas station. Put a little over 29 gallons in.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my 2010 had a 32 gallon tank and I think I've broken 27 gal only once in the 3 1/2 years I owned it. It kind of annoyed me that I could never use up the entire tank according to the gauge and I'd stretch some tanks sometimes just to see how far it'd go. My 2014 with a 26 gal tank however reads pretty accurate. I put in 23 gallons and my range to empty would be at about 40-50 miles.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
28.82gal had 20mi to empty according to the computer.
My hand calculated tank average that time was 13.33mpg this was towing a two place covered snowmobile trailer.

As far as the fuel pumps burning up with low gas. I have had ford and gm cars never had a problem with either. I tend to fill up the drive to empty. Had more friends have fuel pump issues with older GMs but when I really think about it, its more of an age and model thing, I think.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

Big Tool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kinda bummed to hear the gas gauge is inaccurate on the 32 gallon tanks. Sounds like a calibration issue.

Our Grand Cherokee has the 26 gallon tank and it's spot on... When it says empty you have about 2 gallons left to hunt a station.

My Tundra is the worst. Gas light comes on with 7 gallons in the tank and it only has a 26 gallon tank... Get's pretty annoying on long hauls pulling a load. At least the Ram offers the 32 gallon option!

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't understand why guys are so displeased with the under-estimate of fuel. Okay, I understand it should be accurate period, but I rather have a couple extra gallons in the tank and know I won't get stuck somewhere then run out of fuel.

Here is some fuel data, if any of you are interested. I keep track of the fill-ups.
3D82131B-88E6-4987-A503-27C3727271B8_zpsgxtnnzap.jpg
EEA93BA9-AD99-4998-AD8A-66BED3BF04B4_zpslr2lveow.jpg