What the heck is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbowers391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updated my software the other day and noticed this red light blinking in my rear view mirror that night.

It’s still blinking, I’ve never noticed it before. What the heck is it and what does it mean? Couldn’t figure out how to upload the video so here’s a screenshot. It’s slowly blinking.

IMG_1421.png

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No bro. The red light at the top of the mirror. It flashes slowly.

Not the 911 button

A bit tricky to determine from the picture.

Could you get a picture with a flash so we can see all the details?

Maybe, draw an arrow or line towards the errant LED.

Then I can look at mine tomorrow.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2016 big horn does not have that, but could it be some type of anti theft thing ?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Updated my software the other day and noticed this red light blinking in my rear view mirror that night.

It’s still blinking, I’ve never noticed it before. What the heck is it and what does it mean? Couldn’t figure out how to upload the video so here’s a screenshot. It’s slowly blinking.
Have you recently had your windshield replaced? When I had a windshield replaced in my 2013 Laramie, the installer told me the flashing red light at the top of the mirror indicated the auto-high beam feature required a re-alignment due to the windshield being replaced. Once he recalibrated the windshield electronics, all was good.

If you did not have your windshield replaced, something caused the auto-high beam circuit or other windshield-mounted sensors to think it needs to be aligned. You may need a trip to the dealer to resolve this.

Please let us know the outcome.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
found this in another forum, not sure if it applies to you or not:

This is from page 132 online owners manual

If the 9-1-1 Call system detects a malfunction, any of the following may occur at the time the malfunction is detected, and at the beginning of each ignition cycle:
• The Rearview Mirror light located between the Assist and 9-1-1 buttons will continuously be illuminated red.
• The Phone Screen will display the following message “Vehicle phone requires service. Please contact your dealer.”
• An In-Vehicle Audio message will state “Vehicle phone requires service. Please contact your dealer.”
•Ignoring the Rear view Mirror light could mean you will not have 9-1-1 Call services. If the Rearview Mirror light is illuminated, have an authorized dealer service the 9-1-1 Call system immediately.
•The ORC turns on the air bag Warning Light on the instrument panel if a malfunction in any part of the system is detected. If the air bag Warning Light is illuminated, have an authorized dealer service the ORC system immediately.

OP
OP
T

tbowers391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My tinfoil hat says it's a "3 letter group" tracking you.

Serious though, my owner's manual says nothing about that red dot. Is it maybe reflecting something in the overhead console or behind you?
For sure a little circle there and then a light coming from behind it. Can see the little circle where there is no mirror there when the light is off too. You can see in the photo even the bulb is behind there and it even shines through some of the mirror to the left of the circle.

OP
OP
T

tbowers391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
found this in another forum, not sure if it applies to you or not:

This is from page 132 online owners manual

If the 9-1-1 Call system detects a malfunction, any of the following may occur at the time the malfunction is detected, and at the beginning of each ignition cycle:
• The Rearview Mirror light located between the Assist and 9-1-1 buttons will continuously be illuminated red.
• The Phone Screen will display the following message “Vehicle phone requires service. Please contact your dealer.”
• An In-Vehicle Audio message will state “Vehicle phone requires service. Please contact your dealer.”
•Ignoring the Rear view Mirror light could mean you will not have 9-1-1 Call services. If the Rearview Mirror light is illuminated, have an authorized dealer service the 9-1-1 Call system immediately.
•The ORC turns on the air bag Warning Light on the instrument panel if a malfunction in any part of the system is detected. If the air bag Warning Light is illuminated, have an authorized dealer service the ORC system immediately.
I’ve got no air bag warning light. But this might be the case?

I like bosshog’s answer, I didn’t have the windsheild replaced but when I just got obd and checking things out I hit the “realign high beam” function because I didn’t even know I had that option, but I was parked in the garage so it might have thrown them off lol

OP
OP
T

tbowers391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you recently had your windshield replaced? When I had a windshield replaced in my 2013 Laramie, the installer told me the flashing red light at the top of the mirror indicated the auto-high beam feature required a re-alignment due to the windshield being replaced. Once he recalibrated the windshield electronics, all was good.

If you did not have your windshield replaced, something caused the auto-high beam circuit or other windshield-mounted sensors to think it needs to be aligned. You may need a trip to the dealer to resolve this.

Please let us know the outcome.
I didn’t have the windsheild replaced but just got Alfa obd and checking things out I hit the “realign high beam” function because I didn’t even know I had that option, but I was parked in the garage so it might have thrown them off?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t have the windsheild replaced but just got Alfa obd and checking things out I hit the “realign high beam” function because I didn’t even know I had that option, but I was parked in the garage so it might have thrown them off?

I just read this same story on a Charger forum. The user tried an alignment with AlfaOBD and the flashing LED started.

I've also read that this calibration has to be completed at the dealer, at night and they use a grey indexing card while performing the alignment.

That doesn't translate to you must pay a dealer before attempting the alignment yourself.

I doubt that this LED is misbehaving in my mirror because it would have driven me nuts already and I would have covered it up with black electrical tape. :cool:

I drove an '07 Tundra for many years and the ABS was hideous during the winter months. As a standard practice, I would pull a fuse to kill the ABS because I know I could stop much faster by controlling the brakes myself. I've owned more vehicles before ABS was available.

Anyway, when I disabled the ABS, it caused a huge Christmas tree of lights in the EVIC. I would place black electrical tape over top of 3 sets of lights.

Until you get this sorted, black tape might provide some temporary visual strain relief. :cool:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...I’ve got no air bag warning light. But this might be the case?

But your truck's Airbag light *does* come on before you start your truck...when all the other lights come one (to show you they're working), right? I mean the airbag bulb on the dash does work, right?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It looks like BossHogg called it, the Auto-High beam alignment with AlfaOBD is the likely cause.

You may want to exercise more caution with your AlfaOBD experimentation, you could cause very serious and unwanted side effects.

No matter how safe a function might appear, I would spend time researching before becoming the guinea pig. :cool:

The very first 'best practice' item for using AlfaOBD is to copy the current vehicle configuration, then you will always have a bailout.

Instructions are in the AlfaOBD thread, YouTube, and many other places online.

Although it is less than ideal now, better late than never. I would suggest you copy the current configuration now before making any more changes.

Once you correct this issue, you could make a new backup.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
My tinfoil hat says it's a "3 letter group" tracking you.

Serious though, my owner's manual says nothing about that red dot. Is it maybe reflecting something in the overhead console or behind you?

Or it's someone's trying to call you to let you know your warranty is expired.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Nothing flashing on my 2020 Laramie and I’ve had my windshield replaced. You said you had a software update? I’d check back with the dealership and see what they say……..