When Starting Intermitting noise ,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello anybody else have this issue , Have 2019 Ram 5.7 hemi ,once in a while when I Start vehicle I hear a bang coming from the undercarriage the exhaust system / exhaust manifold anybody else have issue like this ? I have takin this to the dealer but being it happens infrequently of course they’re not able to diagnose the problem Thanks

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Can you better describe or record "bang". To me, "bang" means REALLY loud. Is it? Only hear one bang? Not a backfire is it? Does it sound metalic? Pneumatic?
Hello anybody else have this issue , Have 2019 Ram 5.7 hemi ,once in a while when I Start vehicle I hear a bang coming from the undercarriage the exhaust system / exhaust manifold anybody else have issue like this ? I have takin this to the dealer but being it happens infrequently of course they’re not able to diagnose the problem Thanks

OP
OP
Kona

Kona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello thanks for responding I’m not able to record it it happens periodically it makes a loud popping sound coming from the exhaust system you mentioned backfire kind a like that only not as loud thanks

Mandride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear somethings like Starter disengagement, Lifters pumping up, maybe Fuel pressure building. lots of little things that in newer engines just sound a little off but typically are just normal in newer technology engines.

OP
OP
Kona

Kona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear somethings like Starter disengagement, Lifters pumping up, maybe Fuel pressure building. lots of little things that in newer engines just sound a little off but typically are just normal in newer technology engines.

Thanks it may be normal I had a Toyota tundra before and never made much noise when I started so I just have some concerns about it , thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

capeair181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck does the same thing (2019 Ram, 5.7 non eTorque). It’s a noticeable poping sound coming from the exhaust right when the engine ignites. It only does it after the truck has been sitting overnight. I have the truck almost 2 months and have 900 miles on it. I started noticing it after I did a muffler delete.

I haven’t thought taking it in yet, it doesn’t seem that bad because it’s only momentary.

I wonder if it’s from one of the Hydraulic MDS lifters. My only fear is if it causes permanent damage over time

OP
OP
Kona

Kona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What type of modifications did you do to the muffler exhaust ?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
He deleted it. Removed and replaced with straight pipe. I's not an uncommon mod.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This "pop" you two hear, Is it immediately upon ignition or is it delayed a few seconds or more?

No-to-nissan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you guys sure it’s not the mechanical air dam in front of the truck to Goes up and down I can here mine when it powers up getting ready to fold down it pops and clicks at times when I first start the truck.

capeair181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This "pop" you two hear, Is it immediately upon ignition or is it delayed a few seconds or more?

It happens immediately upon ignition

Are you guys sure it’s not the mechanical air dam in front of the truck to Goes up and down I can here mine when it powers up getting ready to fold down it pops and clicks at times when I first start the truck.

Ill remote start the truck while standing next to the tail pipe and I can tell the sound is coming out of the tailpipe

Laminad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have same sound. 5.7 no e-torque. It doesn't happen long enough to diagnose it. If anyone figures it out, let me know. For now, I'm not worried about it.

My first thought is that it might have something to do with a start sequence. Like the truck uses 4 cylinders to start then kicks on the other 4 which creates a backpressure surge in exhaust manifold.

OP
OP
Kona

Kona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s immediately , Service person told me that it could be the transfer case but I’m not sold on that

capeair181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s immediately , Service person told me that it could be the transfer case but I’m not sold on that

I agree, I don't understand how it could be the transfer case. With the truck in park and the transmission not in gear when the engine is started I don't see how any parts in the transfer case would be moving to cause the popping noise.

I'm not too concerned at this point, I'll just keep an eye on it.

capeair181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have same sound. 5.7 no e-torque. It doesn't happen long enough to diagnose it. If anyone figures it out, let me know. For now, I'm not worried about it.

My first thought is that it might have something to do with a start sequence. Like the truck uses 4 cylinders to start then kicks on the other 4 which creates a backpressure surge in exhaust manifold.

I'm wondering if its the(an) MDS lifter(s) not getting enough oil pressure initially when the truck is started cold. Without oil pressure from the MDS control unit the lifter will collapse causing the valve to remain close. I would love to do an MDS delete and not have to worry about it, but that would only happen if I also did a Cam.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Not my video but I have the same clunk. It could be slack in the driveshaft or maybe the park pawl. I found a similar video on a FORD F150

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
This is the Ford clunk

Ronald Cappuccio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Litre
Mine is doing it also on start up... It's more like a heavy bang sound and it does not do it all the time.

Mandride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not my video but I have the same clunk. It could be slack in the driveshaft or maybe the park pawl. I found a similar video on a FORD F150

Yeppers, this is the noise I get also, Just sounds like a mechanical clunk. Seeing the drive shaft looks like it is in the drive-train with the torque converter spinning up.

OP
OP
Kona

Kona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeppers, this is the noise I get also, Just sounds like a mechanical clunk. Seeing the drive shaft looks like it is in the drive-train with the torque converter spinning up.

Yup I get a noise like that but also a popping or banging sound sometimes as well they might be more from the exhaust system Chrysler star saying it’s characteristics of the 2019 1500 ram that’s what they’re telling me at this time and they said other people having the same issues seems like whenever there is a glitch with the ram Chrysler star is saying it’s normal or its characteristics instead of solving the problem , i’ve never had a vehicle that has made so much noise as this ram 1500 I have owned many different vehicles over the years none of them have made these bang , clanking and Popping sound The engine itself sometimes sounds like a diesel it’s a 5.7 hemi ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: