Where and what to buy, Red Line oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like the others have stated contact Nick@gotexhaust he sells 7quart packages.

As for the oil filter buy a royal purple 20-820 off amazon

Like many have said prior 7 qts from [email protected]. Great price. Excellent service. Contributing member on this forum and very helpful.
I stocked up on 20-820 filters last fall when they had a sale. You can also fit a 10-48 RP filter (a little smaller and easier to get on/off).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that any better than the wix xp
57060XP Xp
Maybe only slightly! They're certainly good enough for me when they cost half as much as the RP filters. I paid $6.81 each for 6 of them on Amazon a few months ago and caught them on sale at Napa last year for $5 each(Napa Platinum, same thing) Amazon's price sure has went through the roof!
I figured you would have traded that sucker for an F150 by now! Not hating on you if I switch brands again it will be an F150. No more GM trucks for me unless its an early 2000's model again.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe only slightly! They're certainly good enough for me when they cost half as much as the RP filters. I paid $6.81 each for 6 of them on Amazon a few months ago and caught them on sale at Napa last year for $5 each(Napa Platinum, same thing) Amazon's price sure has went through the roof!
I figured you would have traded that sucker for an F150 by now! Not hating on you if I switch brands again it will be an F150. No more GM trucks for me unless its an early 2000's model again.
I don’t buy vehicles frequently. I would have if I could justify it to myself. I bought the lifetime powertrain warranty when I bought the truck so I’m going get as much use out of it as I can.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Just switched over to 5w30 Redline. Prior post says not preferred in cold climates. First time I’m seeing that. I live on Long Island. We definitely have winter here, but it’s not Alaska. Should I be concerned?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok. Just switched over to 5w30 Redline. Prior post says not preferred in cold climates. First time I’m seeing that. I live on Long Island. We definitely have winter here, but it’s not Alaska. Should I be concerned?

So the only issue with 5w30 redline has been cold piston slap in a few rams here, a few ram forum syn thread usual's Justin and Corey led the way on this deal for the 5.7 and Kyle had piston slap with the 6.4 with 5w40 redline I believe. So bottom line IF you get cold piston slap, just go to 0w30 redline as this has been pretty effective at avoiding slap. Then you still have 0w20 in the bank last resort. Also mechanical heaters like sump blanket.

Now, it is a double edge sword for these guys because they have hemi tick, so how do you avoid hemi tick and cold piston slap? Answer, very carefully. If you don't have hemi tick you have no worries, just use whatever oil is best at avoiding piston slap. Run 5w30 redline unless you get slap, then deal with it. If there are any issues please address them in syn thread as many guys with experience of these issues post there.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Thanks Burla. Makes sense. I never recall cold piston slap on this truck. And since I ran 5w20 and now 5w30, both are the same weight when cold, I’m assuming I should be fine.

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So the only issue with 5w30 redline has been cold piston slap in a few rams here, a few ram forum syn thread usual's Justin and Corey led the way on this deal for the 5.7 and Kyle had piston slap with the 6.4 with 5w40 redline I believe. So bottom line IF you get cold piston slap, just go to 0w30 redline as this has been pretty effective at avoiding slap. Then you still have 0w20 in the bank last resort. Also mechanical heaters like sump blanket.

Now, it is a double edge sword for these guys because they have hemi tick, so how do you avoid hemi tick and cold piston slap? Answer, very carefully. If you don't have hemi tick you have no worries, just use whatever oil is best at avoiding piston slap. Run 5w30 redline unless you get slap, then deal with it. If there are any issues please address them in syn thread as many guys with experience of these issues post there.
So is it safe for me to run redline 5w30 in the cold?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is safe to run 5w30 redline in the cold unless you get cold piston slap, then you might want to look at some of their other formulas or stay in grade 0 winter rated oils of a different brand. There is no way for me to decide what rams get cold piston slap and what ones don't. It is a tolerance thing, and rams with cold piston slap are not lubrication related, but some fluids would work better then others at minimizing it. Pistons and blocks shrink at different rates in the cold, this causes piston slap. Sometimes the gap is larger then others, this is bad piston slap.

When sumps are cold, understand oil viscosities are massively thick. And heavier oils like redline 5w30 are even worse. So check this out, mind you this is at 32f, the differences are much worse as you get colder.

main-qimg-9df369fe6ae25dbc0527d4291c2558e6.png

So at 32f the 20 weights are nearly 75 viscosity thinner then 5w30, and down to 0f this could be 250 or so thinner. And to make it worse 5w30 redline is a thick 30 weight, some say it is really a 40 weight.

So here's the thing, hemi tick causes heat in the tick's location, out of tolerance metal is gonna create a hot spot. So an oil like 5w30 redline can survive this heat and stick in the spot when other oils would not, that very feature of that oil does the opposite for the cold. Now, it is pao based which helps a lot, but not enough for many rams as justin, corey and kyle and others have found out.

Anyone having trouble with hemi tick or cold piston slap or both should come over to syn thread and use the guys who have figured some things out.

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is safe to run 5w30 redline in the cold unless you get cold piston slap, then you might want to look at some of their other formulas or stay in grade 0 winter rated oils of a different brand. There is no way for me to decide what rams get cold piston slap and what ones don't. It is a tolerance thing, and rams with cold piston slap are not lubrication related, but some fluids would work better then others at minimizing it. Pistons and blocks shrink at different rates in the cold, this causes piston slap. Sometimes the gap is larger then others, this is bad piston slap.

When sumps are cold, understand oil viscosities are massively thick. And heavier oils like redline 5w30 are even worse. So check this out, mind you this is at 32f, the differences are much worse as you get colder.

main-qimg-9df369fe6ae25dbc0527d4291c2558e6.png

So at 32f the 20 weights are nearly 75 viscosity thinner then 5w30, and down to 0f this could be 250 or so thinner. And to make it worse 5w30 redline is a thick 30 weight, some say it is really a 40 weight.

So here's the thing, hemi tick causes heat in the tick's location, out of tolerance metal is gonna create a hot spot. So an oil like 5w30 redline can survive this heat and stick in the spot when other oils would not, that very feature of that oil does the opposite for the cold. Now, it is pao based which helps a lot, but not enough for many rams as justin, corey and kyle and others have found out.

Anyone having trouble with hemi tick or cold piston slap or both should come over to syn thread and use the guys who have figured some things out.
Thank you appreciate it i will try to continue to run it in the cold...i don't get piston slap so i should be fine if not ill change to a thinner oil

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok. Thanks Burla. Makes sense. I never recall cold piston slap on this truck. And since I ran 5w20 and now 5w30, both are the same weight when cold, I’m assuming I should be fine.

So look at the graph, 5w30 is way thicker then 5w20 when cold. 0 Winter rating is hard to figure out, but what it generally means is they made a 30 weight oil work as good as possible for a 30 weight, it doesn't mean 5w30 and 5w20 are the same thickness. I know it is confusing.

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So look at the graph, 5w30 is way thicker then 5w20 when cold. 0 Winter rating is hard to figure out, but what it generally means is they made a 30 weight oil work as good as possible for a 30 weight, it doesn't mean 5w30 and 5w20 are the same thickness. I know it is confusing.
Yea its a bit confusing I get it somewhat...im in the Midwest it gets cold really in December-march for 40-10 degrees...so u saying I should switch in the winter then?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, I would only switch if you get piston slap, if not no reason to change. You can always back up strategy with uoa.

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't get the Red Line hype, I put Amsoil 5-20 in my 08 5.7 at 89k when I bought it. It would tick about 2-3 times on start up but have no clue on brand or age of oil in it. Put in 5-20 Amsoil and no snake oil additives and has never ticked and is super quiet. A Hell of a lot easier to find and not spending extra money on silly additives.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't get the Red Line hype, I put Amsoil 5-20 in my 08 5.7 at 89k when I bought it. It would tick about 2-3 times on start up but have no clue on brand or age of oil in it. Put in 5-20 Amsoil and no snake oil additives and has never ticked and is super quiet. A Hell of a lot easier to find and not spending extra money on silly additives.

I can't comment on direct comparison to AMSOIL but I will tell you the Redline 5w30 has my Hemi running so smooth at times that I have to check it's running at idle.

Doesn't mean others like AMSOIL won't work, just high number of cases it seems to work well, especially with the focused efforts on tracking on this site from folks such as Burla...and breakdown of what oil additives seem to be uniquely making the improvement more universal.