Which tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Phipps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I have an 18 PW and I go offroad a few times a year. Nothing too crazy, just alot of mud and poor quality trails- no more rock climbing for me. I travel to upper Wisconsin in winter 3-4 times per year. Generally speaking I cannot let snow prevent me from getting to Wisconsin, I'm going anyway. I tow maybe once a year, but usually I'm just towing my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I don't care about drone as I'm mostly deaf and I don't have riders with me usually. I don't care about price as I believe in making an investment in tires. My driving is 80% highway. I am looking for an aggressive looking tire as well. I know I can go 37" but more than likely sticking with 35". Stock wheels for now, so 17" x 9" I believe.

So far I've been looking at:

-Nitto Trail Grappler

-General Grabber X3

-Toyo Open Country M/T

-BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2

My stock Wranglers are only lasting about 35K miles it loos like so that kinda sucks. I'm hoping to have something that'll last 50k or more and isn't impossible to balance.

Based on this, which tire would you recommend?

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Search on tire rack.com. you can see thousands of reviews on similar trucks for different tires. Search for features important to you. And good tires don't necessarily mean most expensive, you can find great tires and prices for them. Good luck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OK, I have an 18 PW and I go offroad a few times a year. Nothing too crazy, just alot of mud and poor quality trails- no more rock climbing for me. I travel to upper Wisconsin in winter 3-4 times per year. Generally speaking I cannot let snow prevent me from getting to Wisconsin, I'm going anyway. I tow maybe once a year, but usually I'm just towing my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I don't care about drone as I'm mostly deaf and I don't have riders with me usually. I don't care about price as I believe in making an investment in tires. My driving is 80% highway. I am looking for an aggressive looking tire as well. I know I can go 37" but more than likely sticking with 35". Stock wheels for now, so 17" x 9" I believe.

-Nitto Trail Grappler

-General Grabber X3

-Toyo Open Country M/T

My stock Wranglers are only lasting about 35K miles it loos like so that kinda sucks. I'm hoping to have something that'll last 50k or more and isn't impossible to balance.

Forum Poll

Now with issues with Cooper and Michelin not having a quality mt, I'd say trhe toyo mts do have a good rep. I use bfg every time, old habit, but my tire guy who is impartial really likes toyo quality. My bfg's took a ton of weights to balance. Anyhow, most likely you will get 70k miles assuming you don't drive too hard on pavement. If you get 35 from that OEM garbage, you will get 70k easy. Maybe look at load d's too? I got load e's, fairly stiff ride I don't prefer. load c's will give you that piece of mind when low air and on the trail though.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've ran Cooper AT3s for years and have never had a failure. Some may, but it hasn't been my experience. Currently running Michelins on all of my vehicles and no complaints there either. I'll swap the Michelins on my Ram for AT3s when these wear out.

I've owned the BFG KO2s and really didn't like or dislike them other than mine never wore evenly. I've also had Grabbers and really had no complaints with them either.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7

-Nitto Trail Grappler

-General Grabber X3

-Toyo Open Country M/T

Not on your list, but I really like my Mickey Thompson’s, I would definitely find/research the shop you go to that has the right equipment to balance & align bigger tires.

Attachments

• IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9569.jpeg
    IMG_9569.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 7

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've ran Cooper AT3s for years and have never had a failure. Some may, but it hasn't been my experience. Currently running Michelins on all of my vehicles and no complaints there either. I'll swap the Michelins on my Ram for AT3s when these wear out.

I've owned the BFG KO2s and really didn't like or dislike them other than mine never wore evenly. I've also had Grabbers and really had no complaints with them either.
I got the Walmart specific cooper AT in a P series tire (98% pavement driving) for $119 a tire and have been really happy with them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the Walmart specific cooper AT in a P series tire (98% pavement driving) for $119 a tire and have been really happy with them.

Me too. Stock size. Road Force Balanced & Rim mathed. 98% hwy driving. They run down the road like butta! Well actually better than that. Butter as far as I know is better on toast than would probably make a tire compound :happy107:

They're a 115T tire..so not something to use for 5th wheel or heavy hauling.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me too. Stock size. Road Force Balanced & Rim mathed. 98% hwy driving. They run down the road like butta! Well actually better than that. Butter as far as I know is better on toast than would probably make a tire compound :happy107:

They're a 115T tire..so not something to use for 5th wheel or heavy hauling.
My 1500 has a 3900 pound axle rating, and the tires are 2600 pounds each. So anything within my factory payload should be good.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with buying the online Coopers is, Walmart installation and balancing around here is terrible, and staffed by jokers with older, uncalibrated balancers (according to the guys there) and limited to no experience. And a lot of turnover. Based on a lot of prior experience, I don't trust them to do a good install/balance job. They can do a mediocre or terrible job though! I'll give them that. That's just the one particular Walmart nearest me. Others could be a lot better (??).

It works out for me b/c I load the new tires and Ram wheels in my other pickup & take them to Walmart & have mounted. And YES you MUST watch them install the tires, even from afar. I had a guy a couple yrs ago wash the OWL lettering protectant off the tires I was putting on my GM truck with a hose. Only the tires were NOT mounted! THEN he went to install the wet tire which had maybe 2 cups of water inside the tire. He was going to mount the wet tire onto the rim!! You can't balance a water-logged tire and the moisture will rot your tks wheels out. In fact he had washed all the tires like that before balancing. I put an immediate STOP to that and told him we needed to get the water out. He was completely befuddled why? So he sloshed some out. I'm like "We have to get all the water out and dry them!" They didn't have any rags in the shop that would absorb water. I had some in my truck. And we wiped them dry, let them sit in the sun/wind outside for 15 minutes to completely dry inside. He was kind of upset by that.

Another time I saw the tech peel off a big chunk of bead from another guy's tire because he didn't know you had to push the tire down past the rim as you install it! I saw the tech bust the tire changer foot/arm b/c he was trying to stretch the tire over my wheel's bead. I yelled out, "You have to push the tire down as you go!!" I've seen them try to balance wheels not properly mounted onto the balancer. I've had them put big truck weights on a car tire b/c that's all they had ...and they were so loose they wiggled with light two-finger movement! I've run tire changers and balancers so I know what NOT to do.. lol. I could tell more, but you get the point. They say ignorance is bliss...but I don't want that kind of bliss with my tires! LOL. Point: You MUST stand by the open bay doors and watch their every move and be prepared to hit the "STOP" button the moment BEFORE they do something stupid ....or have another shop do the install/balance. You just don't know what they'll do at Walmart. The only reason I go there is they mount for free, $3 disposal fee, and I usually need something there anyway (and it's near the GM garage).

After the Walmart install, I then stop by the nearby Chevy garage for a quality balance job. I know the guys who manage the small-town GM garage and they usually do them on the spot (or maybe a very short wait), I usually call in advance just to make sure. They have brand new top quality equipment (by GM requirements), and I can watch & BS with the guys next to the balancer as they balance them (to make sure they don't skip steps ....which EVERY tire guy is prone to do - trust me!!). Overall, it's a hassle not a lot of guys want to go through to get a good job. Sure, I'm not getting the Walmart balance warranty (Pfeeew!), but i am getting a first-class balance job from my guys at GM. It also gives me a chance to inspect brakes and other items when the wheels are off, and I get a real good balance job.

Maybe you're better off buying the Falkens at Discount Tire. They do Road Force Balancing there and one-stop shopping. They "seem" to do a 'good' job. Just keep an eye on the balance guy like a hawk to make sure he doesn't skip the Rim-Matching process (a lot of techs will say "aawww it's "close enough" and skip that when it might have cut the weights in half by rim-matching). Even the discount tire mgr I was talking to said they a lot of times (that's code for 'Usually') skip the rim-matching process. You WANT that for your best tire longevity. Best of luck
:waytogo:

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If the majority of your driving is highway, consider Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires.

I currently run LT295/65R20's (equivalent to 35's) for my summer set up.
They are E-Load rated and are super comfy on the highway, have fantastic longevity properties, and are excellent on wet roads.

Plus, the Michelin warranty and guarantee is among the best in the business, too.

They also have nice manners if you need to go off highway. As for balancing them out... they are exceptionally good with being balanced out.

Mine took as little as 0.75oz to a maximum of 2.25oz per tire on a road force balancer and are as smooth as can be at highway speeds (and I'm not one to just drive the speed limit either ;)).

Now, do I miss the more aggressive look of my previous BFG KO2's... sure... who doesn't.
But when most of my driving is highway, and comfort & wet road handling is the most important... I went the Michelin route and am very happy with the looks and ride quality.

My $0.02 - just purchase what you like and be happy with your selection ;)

Attachments

• 1000006901.jpg
    1000006901.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000006913.jpg
    1000006913.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000006914.jpg
    1000006914.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 1000006915.jpg
    1000006915.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 10

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. You can't go wrong with Michelin's on anything! I've had a few sets over the yrs (have some on a car now), which, like you say, run about true as can be. For those interested, Michelin does offer a slightly more aggressive "look" LT and Trail tires. But like you say, if it's a pavement truck. But I've noticed Michelins (and Goodyears) DO tend to dry rot quicker than some others. If a guy had a seldom-driven truck, i'd probably take that into consideration. In general, I've had good luck with most the tire brands I've bought..which is most over the yrs, on the multitude of vehicles around here.

Tire test are hard to judge. I'd like to see tests when tires are half worn, not new off the rack. How did they hold up? How do they still perform (Rain/snow/ice/dirt)? I say, just pick the one you like (OP) and enjoy. The first thing I look at is, Do they come in the [required] OWL's? :D

New Tires Cooper Discoverer_Installed.jpg

Last edited:

Glen OS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am running Vredestein Pinza right now. 3peak M&S rated. H speed rating and 55k mile warranty. Will see the mileage.
I came from Yokohama Geolander AT g015 and liked them also. Same M&S and H. Got a nail in a tire on the side, so replaced all. Went with the Pinzas, had a better price.
Falken Wildpeaks were great too, but liked the higher speed rating.

BriannaSTILLEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Came here to also recommend Wildpeaks. Not noisy and they are a great all around grippy tire. I don't have experience with how they last over a long time interval, though. You also can't go wrong with BFG KO2s. My current set has been through hell and back, on and off road, and they have never let me down by slipping or making noise.

JRitz187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyo R/Ts are awesome tires. Much less noise than an MT with still a very aggressive look. I’ve had 2 sets on my 2016 first I got about 75K miles on and looking quite similar on my current set. Love them.

VikeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Came here to also recommend Wildpeaks. Not noisy and they are a great all around grippy tire. I don't have experience with how they last over a long time interval, though. You also can't go wrong with BFG KO2s. My current set has been through hell and back, on and off road, and they have never let me down by slipping or making noise.
I had Wildpeaks on my 12 Ram and loved them! THen had Cooper Rugged Treks on the Yukon I just traded for my 19 Power Wagon.
Just made the call to get a set of the Rugged Treks in 315/70/17 put on the PW later this week. They were awesome in snow, have a great rugged look but virtually no noticable highway noise and they seemed to wear great in the 18 months or so I had them with the Yukon.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You kind of have conflicting needs with mud and snow. Whichever of these you expect to drive in more is where I would priorities MT vs AT.

I would take KO2's off your list since you mentioned a lot of mud.
Also I would remove Michelin Defender and any of the lesser aggressive AT's since you mentioned you cannot let snow stop you from going and you want an aggressive looking tire.

Personally I ended up with Falken Wildpeak AT3's as a decent at everything tire with similar needs as you (albeit on a 1500) and aggressive looking.
Caution though they are heavy tires...

Another unpopular option I would wholeheartedly recommend is the Radar Rennegade RT if mud is your higher priority.
They're very aggressive looking and quieter than the falken at3's on road.

Check out tiredriver.com its a tire review site made by a tire engineer.

Last edited: