Who Has Used A Dorman Pan On Their ZF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Who has used the Dorman pan and what was your experience?

TIA!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Who has used the Dorman pan and what was your experience?

TIA!
Check out a pan for a 8 speed Jeep,supposedly they're a steel pan.I've never actually checked into it,but that's the reports i've heard on the facebook pages

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one , have you seen or heard about this one? I've searched from 2014 to 2020 in the jeep catalog and it comes up the same plastic pan. This one appears to be aftermarket but made out of aluminum

I've never seen that one,but it looks to be a good option,if i was in the market for a differant pan,i'd sure give it a whirl. That's the best price i've seen on an aluminium pan for the 8 speed

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed out the original pan and filter on my Ram. I ordered from Rock Auto the replacement. It was a Dorman pan with a replaceable filter. The original filter cannot be replaced, so you have to purchase the pan and filter. Once this is done, you need only to purchase the filter.

The install is simple and easy to do. Just make sure to cover the exhaust pipe from the dripping.

Filling the transmission case with fluid is a chore. Be sure to jack up the rear about 3 to 4 inch to level the transmission. This levels the transmission and you will be able to properly fill the case.

It is easy if you have the tools. Check before you start. You cannot fill the transmission from the top because there is not a shaft.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I changed out the original pan and filter on my Ram. I ordered from Rock Auto the replacement. It was a Dorman pan with a replaceable filter. The original filter cannot be replaced, so you have to purchase the pan and filter. Once this is done, you need only to purchase the filter.

The install is simple and easy to do. Just make sure to cover the exhaust pipe from the dripping.

Filling the transmission case with fluid is a chore. Be sure to jack up the rear about 3 to 4 inch to level the transmission. This levels the transmission and you will be able to properly fill the case.

It is easy if you have the tools. Check before you start. You cannot fill the transmission from the top because there is not a shaft.
The Dorman pan itself didn't leak or cause any other issues for you before or after install?

Thanks!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been running a Dorman pan for about 2 years now as well. It's fine, but havent really checked it for leaks to be honest. I'm interested in the aluminum one you posted as well.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly, there is a company that makes an aluminum pan and it also adds an extra quart or two. I think it was from one of the performances companies that makes stuff for Rams

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Man have they gone up in price from when i bought my PPE pan a 1/2 dozen years ago.I paid $250 Canuck for my pan with 3 extra filters. Canadian Diesal,is the cheapest place in Canada to get them.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man have they gone up in price from when i bought my PPE pan a 1/2 dozen years ago.I paid $250 Canuck for my pan with 3 extra filters. Canadian Diesal,is the cheapest place in Canada to get them.

Dang that was a good price! I paid $280US for mine with zero extra filter two years ago.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Dang that was a good price! I paid $280US for mine with zero extra filter two years ago.
I hadn't checked the price on them for awhile,so i was a bit surprised at what they're worth now.I'm wishing i'd bought 2 back then,as i've been kicking the idea around of throwing one on the wifes Challenger