Who needs a 8ft bed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need a 8’ bed because that’s a MAN’S truck. LOL

so your saying texas is a bunch of girls? most half ton trucks i have ever seen is in texas.... lmao jk

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so your saying texas is a bunch of girls? most half ton trucks i have ever seen is in texas.... lmao jk

lol yeah dont get me wrong i would love a 8ft bed but all the trucks i was looking at were out of my price range at the time. 180k 07 2500 diesel for the same price as my 2014 1500 with 25k.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yes most are girls with their station Wagons. Me and Lucy Girl are 8’ and “2” doors. lol love your post.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had to order to find what I wanted with the 6' bed. I keep a big tool box under the tonneau all the time plus a cooler and tool bag for work boots. I would have no room for cargo with the smaller bed but could not park an 8' bed truck easily. Had to pick up two 55 gallon drums last week, didn't even have to put the tonneau all the way up against the cab.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes most are girls with their station Wagons. Me and Lucy Girl are 8’ and “2” doors. lol love your post.

Nice yeah my buddy moved down there has a 07 3500 4door long box lol. everyone down there was like why do you need such a big truck lmao. then the best part is when he went to get new tires and all the stores go why do you need E range tires.

Kylehobie16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
8' bed is great for hauling full 4x8' sheets. No tie downs necessary, just close the gate and away you go. Also, like Sandawilliams, I put two full sized dirt bikes and a fifthwheel on a gooseneck converter and I can still do u-turns without hitting the bars on the camper. Albeit 40' diameter u-turns, but the truck doesn't do better than than on it's own! Which is a drawback to the 8' bed. They don't navigate parking lots too well! I do love that overhead rack tho.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Nice yeah my buddy moved down there has a 07 3500 4door long box lol. everyone down there was like why do you need such a big truck lmao. then the best part is when he went to get new tires and all the stores go why do you need E range tires.
Good reply. Feel sorry for him leaving the tire store. lol

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8' bed is great for hauling full 4x8' sheets. No tie downs necessary, just close the gate and away you go. Also, like Sandawilliams, I put two full sized dirt bikes and a fifthwheel on a gooseneck converter and I can still do u-turns without hitting the bars on the camper. Albeit 40' diameter u-turns, but the truck doesn't do better than than on it's own! Which is a drawback to the 8' bed. They don't navigate parking lots too well! I do love that overhead rack tho.

That's the future for me.

That's the plan for the future for me. Plan on getting toys again and a trailer definitely will go 1 ton long box. Buying a house set me back on that department lol.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Problem is that with the increasingly popular crew cabs the trucks become much too long with an 8 ft bed. Most trucks have the regular cab to get the 8' bed as a result. I see guys with the crew cab long bed trucks spending 10 minutes trying to get into the loading bay at the local feed store. They are trying to get in when I enter the store and often still maneuvering when I walk out with my bag of feed.

I take my trucks off road and on forest service trails that were invariably cut by someone driving a CAT that can turn on a dime. For me an extended or quad cab and a 6.5 ft bed is as long a truck as I want to be driving on those roads. With a 6.5 bed and the tailgate lowered I have effectively an 8' bed that holds sheets of plywood.

For serious lumber hauling I have the wood delivered by the local lumber yard that charges $35 per load. I cannot drive there and back for less than that with my truck and that is if I put no value on my time. I also know first hand just how heavy a load of 2 by PT boards and 6x6 posts weigh and few lumber racks for pickups are built to take the weight.

When I do need to get 16' or longer boards I end up buying more than I need to keep it from bouncing around. Last week I needed an additional 16' piece of 1x4 redwood and bought a 12 foot section of 2x12 PT to have support for the 1x4 piece on the rack. I wanted to be sure I got back to the job with the redwood still in one piece.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem is that with the increasingly popular crew cabs the trucks become much too long with an 8 ft bed. Most trucks have the regular cab to get the 8' bed as a result. I see guys with the crew cab long bed trucks spending 10 minutes trying to get into the loading bay at the local feed store. They are trying to get in when I enter the store and often still maneuvering when I walk out with my bag of feed.

I take my trucks off road and on forest service trails that were invariably cut by someone driving a CAT that can turn on a dime. For me an extended or quad cab and a 6.5 ft bed is as long a truck as I want to be driving on those roads. With a 6.5 bed and the tailgate lowered I have effectively an 8' bed that holds sheets of plywood.

For serious lumber hauling I have the wood delivered by the local lumber yard that charges $35 per load. I cannot drive there and back for less than that with my truck and that is if I put no value on my time. I also know first hand just how heavy a load of 2 by PT boards and 6x6 posts weigh and few lumber racks for pickups are built to take the weight.

When I do need to get 16' or longer boards I end up buying more than I need to keep it from bouncing around. Last week I needed an additional 16' piece of 1x4 redwood and bought a 12 foot section of 2x12 PT to have support for the 1x4 piece on the rack. I wanted to be sure I got back to the job with the redwood still in one piece.

Parking lots yes 8ft bed sucks anything else is do able no problem. I park my 6ft bed in BFE just so I dont get door dinged. My old work truck I used to drive for 9 years was a GM kodiak 5500 with a 20ft bed. Drove that to all sorts of private homes and jobs all over Portland metro area. I've had to back down switch back hills because there was no where to turn around and this is city streets with cars. People dont know how to drive is what the problem is. Backing up a truck that long is easier then driving forward in tight areas. As for delivery if I can haul it myself I'll go get it. Just remember that guy at the feed store could very well be your delivery guy lol.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I bought the truck with a 8’ bed. So happy I don’t need a bed extender. I bet less than 1% have a 8’bed because most people want a station wagon. Lol

speedracer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dinky,
Did your Kodiak ever go into limp mode? If it did were you able to get it fixed?
TIA
Rick

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dinky,
Did your Kodiak ever go into limp mode? If it did were you able to get it fixed?
TIA
Rick

Yes we did one time fuel pump lost prime and threw it into limp mode. New filter and reprime. Another time the factory exhaust brake was stuck on on with out lighting up the dash light.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@speedracer67 also there is a PTO option on most. I know if that is engaged you can go as fast as you want but only 1k rpm at a time. Make sure your PTO switch is off and or no shorts to turn it on. My helpers always hit it with their knees