Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, that's why this thread is all over the place. Personal taste. No right or wrong answer.

Your truck does look nice. The few I've seen around my neck of the woods are Expresses with the chrome badge and wheels. Not my favorite combo. You have a little more chrome than I usually like but it works on your truck.

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the results speak for themselves. Op made an error in his original post. the vast majority seem to like chrome. It’s ironic because most of them say it’s because blacked out is played out, but here we are... 3-1 are Chrome.
also bizarre that a significant amount cited “don’t care” Why would they even click on this thread?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO ram does a good job of not overdoing the trucks with chrome. There is still a place for it as well, I think it looks really good with a lighter colored truck. It gives a somewhat luxurious appearance, while the body matched color stuff makes the truck look sportier.

To each his own...I see plenty of people with chrome bumpers, door handles, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last Ram was black, tinted glass, etc., and I noticed every truck in the parking lots were looking the same.

So I bought a Bighorn.....
There were plenty of chrome rams in the parking lot too. You just didn’t notice them ;)
I’m kidding I like a lot of trucks with some chrome too. But IMO it doesn’t get any cheezier than adding chrome fender flares, bug deflector and window covers.
Another IMO is the chrome trucks that have been debadged look a lot better too.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm glad - and a little surprised - that I'm not the only weirdo that likes chrome lol. I love it on mine, was actually thinking of changing the black honeycomb grill inserts to something chrome. But I agree that too much looks tacky, and too much black plastic looks commercial.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I'm on my 4th truck with the color matched bumpers..I didnt seek out any of them, just came that way as part of a package. I like them ok but I usually would prefer chrome..more durable for one thing. as it is a truck, it gets tougher use than a car and all my color matched bumpers and grills have eventually had rock chips and tiny divots that you dont get on a chrome bumper or grill.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not bashing anyone that likes chrome, everyone has got different tastes and that's all good with me.

Exactly why manufacturers are still putting chrome on trucks!

In todays market it just seems to me like that vast majority of consumers don't want chrome on their trucks, and if they buy a truck with chrome they end up painting over it...

And if a manufacturer made ALL color matched everything, they would alienate the part of their market that likes or wants chrome

I personally can't stand chrome on my vehicles, i just think it looks cheap and gaudy. I shopped for my truck for a long time to get the one i wanted without any chrome.

And that's good, you got what you wanted and my Laramie has chrome and I got what I wanted - which, again, is why manufacturers are still putting chrome on trucks

It seems pretty selfish to think that because YOU like a particular style that manufacturers should ONLY make that particular style. That's like saying "I like black trucks, why do manufacturers make white, blue, green, red or silver trucks"

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Funny thing is that it COSTS MORE money to have a truck chrome plated from the manufacturer than it does to have a truck come completely “Blacked-Out”, yet they charge more money for the blackened look !!!

I’ll stick with my Traditional Chrome look !!!

DSwan7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Regular cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
4.7 Litre V8
Old school - chrome all the way. When it is polished up in summer, women stop and stare at it, it's a fact. 8/10 Rams in Calgary are blacked out and now a chromed Ram stands out. And if that hasn't convinced you, go watch Trace Adkins "Chrome" a couple times on youtube. But, to each their own.

Alex38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a fan of chrome. I've had both chrome and color matched, and prefer the former.

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an Express and wish I had chrome bumpers. Mainly because I’d like to add tow hooks and that plastic front end won’t take a broken tow strap. So I should just say I prefer metal bumpers. Problem with all the trucks is if you just want a certain option you end up having to buy a ‘chrome’ package.

BobG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm an older guy and grew up with chrome. I like it. My first new car was a 1971 GTO with the then new endura color keyed front bumper and I loved it until the first time I jacked the front end up and the paint cracked. I still have that car and have had that bumper painted probably 8 to 10 times so for me, I prefer chrome. I can appreciate non chrome bumpers, grills, decals, etc., but for me personally, I will take chrome any time.