Why are manufacturers still putting cloth seats in trucks?

Do you like cloth seats or leather?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
EDIT: Pics added...The seats are actually a two tone; black and Lapis gray...the lapis is actually the same color as the oem "diesel gray" interior. the camera makes them look lighter.

This is just for fun and to hear other peoples opinions.

I bought a 19 classic this year and I love the truck but I absolutely hated the cloth seats. For the amount of money trucks cost these days leather should be standard lol.

I had Katzkin leather installed yesterday with seat heaters as well and WOW i couldn't be happier...definitely not cheap but money well spent in my opinion. I drive a lot and the extra comfort/durability is worth it to me. If you wish you had leather seats I highly suggest looking into it.

Katzkin has a great website where you can customize your seats;https://katzkin.com/

image5.jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Last edited:

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My previous car (Chrysler Pacifica SUV) had leather. Drove it for 10 years.

My truck is a Big Horn, with cloth interior. I am fine with the cloth. Not cold in the winter, or really hot in the summer. I know the leather in the Pacifica was heated, but it took a while for the seats to warm up if it was sitting in the cold all day. The cloth seems to be holding up well, is plenty comfortable for me, I don't miss the leather at all.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably for the same reason they are still putting chrome on trucks. ;-)

:D lol I knew someone would make that connection...

Some people were getting kind of mad at me in that thread, i was just trying to start a discussion about it lol you would think i said "Anyone that likes chrome is an A***OLE!" :jester:

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
....I had Katzkin leather installed yesterday with seat heaters as well and WOW i couldn't be happier...definitely not cheap but money well spent in my opinion. I drive a lot and the extra comfort/durability is worth it to me. If you wish you had leather seats I highly suggest looking into it.

Katzkin has a great website where you can customize your seats;https://katzkin.com/

Just wondering but where did the installer put the switches for the heaters?

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wondering but where did the installer put the switches for the heaters?

Right on the seat base in front on the reclining lever, I know its not the factory location but it "looks" factory. I really like the location to be honest. I'll get some picks tonight and post em up. there is a high and low setting.

They actually work better than factory heated seats I've had in the past in chevys and subaru; I never got to try them in a ram...but they heat up fast and stay as hot as you want.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Some people were getting kind of mad at me in that thread, i was just trying to start a discussion about it lol you would think i said "Anyone that likes chrome is an A***OLE!" :jester:

Yeah some folks take that stuff way too seriously. Maybe it is the COVID. :)

PS I voted "Cloth" but actually I don't care because the first thing I do to a new vehicle is put SeatSaver seat covers on them.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ive had both, cloth was warmer, but it didnt have seat heaters.
New Jeep, badazz...love the leather and heated seat/steering wheel

20150620_162519.jpg

20180506_123643.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I like the leather because they get less dusty and are really easy to clean if you're a bit muddy,sticky or spilly. I can be any one or all 3 of those at times.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cloth gets dirty, tore up and smelly. It's impossible to clean it really well.
(I say this because we have an older dually that was a farm truck and it still has a touch of wet dog aroma on certain days).

I'm ok with other decent quality materials too, as long as it ain't cloth.

20131500MSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
My RAM has cloth seats but my 300 has leather seats.

The cloth seats in my truck are comfier, have better supports, and overall feel a lot better than the leather seats in my 300.

My 300 has heated leather seats and in the morning the leather is very very hard and feels like you’re sitting on concrete. The seat heater fires up almost instantly though, so that’s a +.

I like the leather from a luxury standpoint and the fact that it feels better in the summer and that they’re easier to clean. Cleaning my cloth seats are hard as heck. Not to mention how easy they stain..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Yup...and that sort of thing drives me crazy. Some folks just go off for no damn reason.

Why still cloth? Because some customers would rather have it, some fleets spec only cloth seats and FCA probably gets a higher profit margin on leather. They must think bundling it with more expensive option packages justifies the cost of those which people have to buy IF they want leather. It's a racket I tell ya.... ;)

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well living in AZ I prefer cloth, the summer time heat and leather sticking to your skin isn't fun. The only exception I'd make for leather is if it had vented seats, which I know they have but usually on the trim I don't like.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am thinking of adding the leather seats with lots of chrome accents. :33:

Seriously, I have the light grey interior and the seats are a pain to keep clean. I am fine with cloth, but don't want the covers that go over existing seats, I want the replacement material. I think it just looks better if changing color, which I would not stay light no matter what.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Evening all, I have to throw in my penny's worth. My wife has a "19" Pacifica damn near loaded with heated/vented leather seats that we do injoy the heat in winter and cool in summer. Now when it comes to (Bullwinkle) my 2500 cclb I have heated cloth only and have no complaints about it.
I read where some of you say it is hard to clean cloth, but I say nay to them. When the cloth starts looking nasty, I just remove the covers and throw them in the washer and dryer. Come out looking great.
Now I have a question for everyone. Has anyone or does anyone have vented cloth seats ?

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look the real question is why aren't any manufacturers putting the junk blaster vent under the steering wheel anymore. I think it's because they want to upsell you heated/cooled seats but it's not the same thing

Right there with ya Kurek. I am no hvac expert, but I'm sure a reservoir, hose, and one of those attachments off that noisy thing my wife uses to clean the carpets would make a nice junk blaster. There's a hvac line right under the steering column, just needs a hole cut in it.