Why buy running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milepost56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Because I am a short old fat ******* with bad knees, the wife is just short
full
Same here plus my son put a 3' lift on his RAM with larger tires and rims and I almost need a hoist to get in!!!!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Same here plus my son put a 3' lift on his RAM with larger tires and rims and I almost need a hoist to get in!!!!

At first we didn't think we would need them, because we could get in the Jeep (2.5"/35"s) fairly easy.
full

Quickly we realized that the extra 4" of the step over would not work, not to mention trying to get into the bed haha
full

Psycho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I've been weighing on buying running boards for the truck. The thing is why buy them? My truck is actually a little high to get in but isn't that the point of having a truck to have that clearance. I don't want to lower it 5" just because it's a little too high. that was the whole point of getting a truck and like the feeling of actually getting in. I'm just wondering if the wear on the seat sliding out. Why did you get them?

Because without them you can wear out your seat while getting in an out. I work for the US government and got a brand new Ram truck to use for work. In my job I’m in and out of the truck 40 to 50 times a day. Without running boards to step on I wore out the bottom left side of the seat when I slid out and climbed in...In less than a year. GSA tried to call it vehicle abuse till I had the female investigator climb in and out without rubbing the seat and damaged area. GSA still won’t have them installed on their new vehicles

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my factory ones! Getting a little older and have severe arthritis in my knees from old injuries so kind of a necessity for me.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looking into steps and sill protectors to minimize the amount I'm tearing this up, I'm 5-9 have no issue climbing up, but mom, in-laws and the fiance do. Plus it'll keep me from stepping here when i get out. Its not that it's too far, it's just awkward without sliding across the seat bolster or stepping on the will. 20200106_135317.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
TheDude266, any chance of posting a picture of the running boards on your truck ? I'm leaning towards putting some on my regular cab, and can't decide to go with black or stainless for my silver truck. Never had them on any of my trucks, but as one ages and maybe puts on a few more pounds, I can see where they would be helpful for getting in.

Thanks

Hi,
I can for sure but right now they are dirty as heck.
Had to get some crusher run for my driveway and went through a bit of a muddy yard to get the stuff.
Will try to get you a clean picture as soon as I can get to a car wash.

Cheers

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I got them simply because I wanted them. That is all.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know if there is a clearance issue with the Mopar 5" oval steps and molded mud flaps ?

Thanks

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Does anyone know if there is a clearance issue with the Mopar 5" oval steps and molded mud flaps ?

Thanks

What year? Your bio says 13 so:

On my 14 Sport, Husky mudflaps just touched the Mopar boards but worked fine. On my 19 Laramie, both the Mopar flaps and Husky flaps have plenty of clearance with the Mopar boards. I took off the Mopar flaps as they filled with debris, Husky ones work fine.

HTH

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you, I appreciate the information. Nice to know that I would not have to modify the flaps to make then work with side steps. Never thought about the Mopar flaps filling with debris..

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like them because for one, they look good; for two, I like how they make it easier gettin’ in and out of the truck and for three, they do a helluva job protecting your rocker panels and the undersides of your cab from rock chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Putting Amp steps on a 2wd Reg Cab this coming Friday. Why, because they make getting in easier as others have said. I am get in but I have to put my butt on the bolster and then slide in. Will probably lower my truck a little (1" front and 2" rear) and know they still will help. On the reg cab I like the lines without them so that's why the Amp ones. Will I be weird, don't care. It works for me. Now debating getting molder splash guards which I do not like but I hate road spray down the side even more. Might just go with the painted OEM looking Bushwhacker ones.