Why Diesel Engines are More Fuel Efficient than Gasoline Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
All you wanted--or will ever want to know--about Diesel vs Gasoline, and then some......

Last edited:

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is going to be another "Love - Hate" thread... Usually ending when the name calling gets too out of hand for the Moderator to put up with...

Let me begin... I loved the power of my diesel, more than any gasoline engine I have ever used. I hated the extra maintenance costs, and after a while I realized that the trade off was not worth it.

Let the fun begin!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Although I'm happy to be getting pretty much the same MPG with my '14 5.7 QC gasser as I was getting in my '06 QC 4.0 V6 Tacoma - city, highway, and combined, I have no intention of disagreeing with the OP or the link.

No hate here. But Diesel trucks can be pretty spendy and I got a deal I could afford on my Hemi.
Even considering I have never towed with my truck I'm still seeing reports of certain Diesels getting substantially better MPG under all conditions.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Although I'm happy to be getting pretty much the same MPG with my '14 5.7 QC gasser as I was getting in my '06 QC 4.0 V6 Tacoma - city, highway, and combined, I have no intention of disagreeing with the OP or the link.

No hate here. But Diesel trucks can be pretty spendy and I got a deal I could afford on my Hemi.
Even considering I have never towed with my truck I'm still seeing reports of certain Diesels getting substantially better MPG under all conditions.
Yes. My 2019 3500 Laramie dually with the High output Cummins can get 17 mpg at 70 - 75 mph. Of course, that's highway, empty. Not bad for such a huge and very heavy truck. I love the sound of the newer 5th gen Cummins. It's civilized.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I liked the thoroughly uncivilized sound of my '02 Cummins HO. It pulled like the proverbial freight train in any weather. (No EGR or DEF nonsense either.)

BUT... once we got rid of the slide in camper, the ride of the 3500 got old.

A 1/2 ton gasser suffices for what I do nowadays.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I liked the thoroughly uncivilized sound of my '02 Cummins HO. It pulled like the proverbial freight train in any weather. (No EGR or DEF nonsense either.)

BUT... once we got rid of the slide in camper, the ride of the 3500 got old.

A 1/2 ton gasser suffices for what I do nowadays.

I just use my 3500 dually to go to the Post Office. :grd: