Why Diesel Engines are More Fuel Efficient than Gasoline Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Also, with 50% better gas milage i have less emmissions than gas.

Debatable at best. It's more correct to say you have different emissions, less CO2 but more particulate and nitric oxide compounds. Diesels are more problematic on the local scale, as both are known to cause lung and heart issues. Hence why diesel fuel regs and diesel vehicle emissions have tightened so much over the past decade or so.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have a 4th gen. RAM’s body designation for your truck is “DJ”. DJ is Rams body for a 4th gen 2500, and that has been its body name since 2010. DS is the 4th gen 1500, and DT is the 5th gen 1500. It doesn’t matter what appearance changes were made to the 2500 in 2019, RAM still designates the body as DJ, so it’s a 4th gen.
To add, Chrysler, like GM and Ford, have always identified trucks by a platform designation. Basic dimensional and component changes usually drive the change in designation. For example, DS and DT frames are not interchangeable.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 102313 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I own a diesel tractor. May I have some love, too?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 102313 miles.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's more correct to say you have different emissions, less CO2 but more particulate and nitric oxide compounds.
With the modern diesel exhaust after treatment, the exhaust can be cleaner than the air being sucked into the engine.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
With the modern diesel exhaust after treatment, the exhaust can be cleaner than the air being sucked into the engine.

Makes you wonder why VW and FCA had to resort to criminal fraud to get their engines to pass if that's the case.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Makes you wonder why VW and FCA had to resort to criminal fraud to get their engines to pass if that's the case.
It wasn't a matter of passing the emissions, it was exploiting loophole and misinterpreted rules that they were guilty of. VW went a step further and pushed their tuning past the designated testing parameters so to avoid detection for better power and fuel economy numbers.
The further you drive the CO2 numbers down with diesel emissions the better the fuel economy/power goes up, but that usually pushes the NOx numbers up. Looking at it from that angle, what makes more sense a truck that burns a little cleaner or one that gets better fuel economy? CO2 doesn't dissipate where as NOx does in about 24 hours. If it's the difference of 50% or better fuel economy across the board is that "dirtier" running vehicle really polluting more by burning less fuel than it's gas counter parts?

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As a proud owner of my second EcoDiesel I will say the tradeoff between a gasser and a diesel is all pretty subjective. As for operating costs, today diesel fuel in my area of Texas is about $1 more than a gallon of gas. However, I've done some calculations and based on the difference in fuel economy between a Hemi (I'm sure this will bring some comments) and my Diesel I believe at this point the difference is a wash. When the price of diesel gets closer to gas prices which is the usual situation then the operating cost of the diesel is less than the Hemi. Typically in my area there is normally only about a 20 to 30 percent premium for diesel and I've seen where the prices are close to even. So, city driving with the occasional trip on the local freeway, my baby diesel averages consistently (by calculation) 20 to 22 mpg. On the highway I consistently average 25 to 28 depending on the average speed. Towing my boat and loaded with gear and bicycles I average between 14 and 18 mpg depending on the wind. I would be interested if anyone with a Hemi can truthfully say they can achieve the same fuel economy. As for maintenance costs I had 125,000 miles on my 2016 pictured below and my only out of pocket costs were for fluid changes and a $100 deductible on a repair covered by a service contract. My 2020 has 60,000 miles on it and I was fortunate to take advantage of a Mopar prepaid oil change program and the cost to change oil was only $110 per oil change which also included tire rotation. My two cents worth. Looking forward to comments.

Attachments

• Loaded for MN.jpg
    Loaded for MN.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 3

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It wasn't a matter of passing the emissions, it was exploiting loophole and misinterpreted rules that they were guilty of. VW went a step further and pushed their tuning past the designated testing parameters so to avoid detection for better power and fuel economy numbers.
The further you drive the CO2 numbers down with diesel emissions the better the fuel economy/power goes up, but that usually pushes the NOx numbers up. Looking at it from that angle, what makes more sense a truck that burns a little cleaner or one that gets better fuel economy? CO2 doesn't dissipate where as NOx does in about 24 hours. If it's the difference of 50% or better fuel economy across the board is that "dirtier" running vehicle really polluting more by burning less fuel than it's gas counter parts?

Which conversation are we having? Still comparing gas vs diesel or he notion that diesel exhaust is cleaner than air charge intake? This post seems to contradict your earlier one on that score, if it's 'cleaner' then which metric do you believe is down in the exhaust over the intake charge?

I've already said my bit on gas vs diesel and already addressed global vs local. Dissipation and type of emission is the primary reason diesels are more an issue locally whereas CO2 is why gas is more of an issue globally. You're still having to breathe during that 24 hours, after all, and if more is continuously added to your area then you've still got a steady level of pollution.

Scotty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I also a proud owner of an Eco Diesel, I had Cummins up to 21 when I bought this one, I had sold my travel trailer and didn’t need the load capacity, but couldn’t give up driving a diesel , nothing but diesel truck since 1996, mine has the 392 rear gear so it might give up a little mpg , still gets 23/24 in town and best highway mileage has been 30.1 hand calculated at 75 plus it now has 33k with 0 problems , I do my own oil / fuel filter changes , just installed new Michelin tires, just got the HPFP recall yesterday, called the dealer and got the “ no parts available on national back order, don’t know when we will get them “ , not sure that I want to change any thing right now, haven’t have a gas truck since 1996 !