Why doesn't the 5.7 Hemi make more HP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes!
If I spent the majority of my miles in a big city or a town, or driving on a flat open highway, then probably not. But, from where I live to where I work there is about 2000' difference in elevation. I know that's not a huge difference, but it's not a steady climb or fall. There's rolling hills/mountains on the freeway that sometimes require downshifts into 3rd and often into 4th gear.
But of course it would all depend on where that horsepower and torque is. If there is no change except on peak numbers, then I'd probably not notice it. But if my torque was increased 30+ throughout the rpm's and especially between 2-4000, then I surely would notice it.
Its not very often that I'm in that 4500-5500 rpm range, but when I am, it should feel good. Not make me depressed.

Lots of people say that exact thing, but most, sorry including you, can't tell the difference. Daily driving is just that, daily, I could drop 200 hp on you and you would only tell a difference when you leave a red light. And no I am not trying to start a fight or question your manhood. It is just a simple fact.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with this. I think it's just a matter of time before our big v8s are a thing of the past. Small forced induction seems to be the future for manufacturers. It is amazing how much power those smaller engines can make while being extremely efficient. Maybe they'll install some sort of "noise maker" to mimic that v8 growl?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They actually have developed that in some of the euro cars.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is an interesting topic.
The increase in HP for the rumored 2018 5.0 Mustang will come from direct injection and a few other tuning tweaks from what I've read. FCA certainly could incorporate direct injection on the 5.7 (and 6.4 for that matter) and we would see an increase in HP/Tq, as well as an efficiency improvement. Will they do it? My guess is we'll see that on a turbo Pentastar before we see it on a hemi v8.
Direct Injection, despite it's proponents does have drawbacks. Fuel dilution of the engine oil, and intake passage/valve coking, the latter being the real reason Ford added a 2nd injector on each cylinder on it's DI ecoboost motors and the '18 5.0 will have them too; help wash PCV deposits off of the intake passages/valves. Other than adding the 2nd injector, I don't believe any of the OEM's using DI have really solved it's intake passage/valve coking issues. Consistently working DI motors very hard tends to minimize those issues, but they do persist.
Before purchasing my 2017 Ram, I did test drive an F150 with the 5.0. It felt decent, just not impressive (besides I really didn't like the interior or exterior styling either). I have to agree with an earlier poster about the 5.0 Mustang. My 2012 Boss 302 is relatively gutless below 4K RPM, but hang on if spinning it beyond that, all the way to and past it's 7500 RPM redline (fuel cutoff is 8200 RPM and valve float happens @ roughly the same point). In a 3600# vehicle it certainly can raise one's pulse.
IMO the 5.7 Ram is really very good; smooth, torquey, with good power in the upper end of it's RPM band. Makes driving my truck extremely enjoyable, and it gets great fuel economy for a 5500# + vehicle.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Maybe they'll install some sort of "noise maker" to mimic that v8 growl?[emoji23]

Not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but they already do this in a ton of cars, US and foreign. Not to the outside, the the driver. They pump noises that sound more like a V8 through the speakers. Lol.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible to fit car heads on the 5.7 to increase flow or would that throw everything off? Not even sure things would bolt up right :)

I thought the weak link in these trucks was the trans. Give it all the HP you want. You get to certain point and the trans just gives up :)

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm... why would a MFG put a mild cam in a Truck/sedan engine, opposed to one with aggressive characteristics...and a high RPM range?

A: To keep the torque in the "normal" driving operating range, maximize longevity, efficiency, and costs.

Take a eagle 5.7, with a cam, and 6.4 hemi valve springs...and boom...460 HP.
DCC-68259164 - Pace Performance 5.7L HEMI 460HP Crate Engine

Would this improve power and acceleration in a 5000 lb truck? absolutely!. It'll also get 5 less MPG, Tow 1000 less lbs, make less torque than stock until 3000 RPM, and now make peak HP at 7000 RPM... Does that sound like something the MFG would want to produce by the millions in a world where engine longevity and MPG is MORE important to consumers? The average consumer cares more about 30 MPG than 13 second time slips. If the questions is seriously "why does the 5.7 not make more HP...then i suggest a long day of reading with some performance engine books.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Seems to me if you compare the Hemi 5.7 to all the other truck motors of close to the same size the Hemi is right where it should be.
Of course more power is nice to have but like has been said you want use able power in a DD truck.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I agree with this. I think it's just a matter of time before our big v8s are a thing of the past. Small forced induction seems to be the future for manufacturers. It is amazing how much power those smaller engines can make while being extremely efficient. Maybe they'll install some sort of "noise maker" to mimic that v8 growl?[emoji23]

The owner of the company I work for had a 13 Raptor with the 6.2L. That thing sounded awesome. He now has a 17 Raptor with the EcoBoom. It makes way more power but it sounds like :poop:. Hopefully they never completely do away with V8s.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but they already do this in a ton of cars, US and foreign. Not to the outside, the the driver. They pump noises that sound more like a V8 through the speakers. Lol.

It was semi serious, and the fact that it already exists is hilarious. I used to have an f150 with the ecoboost. GREAT truck, with great power. I added quite a few bolt ons, and an aggressive custom tune, and that thing was a beast. Even with aftermarket cat less downpipes and "throaty" exhaust, there's absolutely no comparison to the sound of my mostly stock Hemi.
I can appreciate smaller engines making big power, but the V8 rumble is what trips my trigger.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot is all in the programming of the truck. Tunes make a world of difference.
I agree 100 Percent on this. When I installed a tuner on my 07 Ram, and 13 Challenger, it really woke these autos up. You have to keep in mind that the stock tune has to be an equal balance between getting groceries to pulling a 10k trailer. So when I installed the 93 performance tune in the ram, it was recommenced to not pull anything.

And of you look back the 5.7 engine only made 345 HP, and 375 Torque in the 07 Ram. So the Gen 4 engine is up 50 HP stock.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
It was semi serious, and the fact that it already exists is hilarious. I used to have an f150 with the ecoboost. GREAT truck, with great power. I added quite a few bolt ons, and an aggressive custom tune, and that thing was a beast. Even with aftermarket cat less downpipes and "throaty" exhaust, there's absolutely no comparison to the sound of my mostly stock Hemi.
I can appreciate smaller engines making big power, but the V8 rumble is what trips my trigger.

Yeah there is no substitute for the sound of a V8. You have got to respect a company that can make big power out of a small engine, but i think a lot of times people make huge deal out of a small blown engine. Yes its impressive, but take a huge displacement hemi head engine completely built up you can make thousands of horsepower. If you level the playing field, bigger displacement will always put out bigger power. Anything CAN be done. Its just a matter of what a manufacturer WANTS to do. We just live in a time were big engines are going the way of the dinosaur so everyones looking to the new tech to topple the old school power.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In an honest opinion....

In everyday usage...MY everyday usage...I use all of maybe 100 of those 390 horsies.

While I certainly don't want less power....more power out of my 5.7 isn't needed....in MY application.

Now...

I wondered this same thing years ago when realizing the 5.7 hadn't made any significant increases over the years and it's because of a few points already mentioned:

1: sales are still doing good with current configuration
2: 390hp is plenty for the average smo'....that's the point of this size/class
3: more power added ventures into another class/size/pricing
4: while dated, this engine is already tapped for R&D updates/upgrades
5: very few actually complain about current power numbers not being enough...idk
6: etc.......

Could they? Of course..

Better question, WHY would they........

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Is it possible to fit car heads on the 5.7 to increase flow or would that throw everything off? Not even sure things would bolt up right :)

I thought the weak link in these trucks was the trans. Give it all the HP you want. You get to certain point and the trans just gives up :)

Car and truck heads are identical in the two variations of the 5.7L designs (VVT vs non-VVT). The 5- and 6-speed transmissions is the weak point in the 3rd and early 4th generation, the 8-speed trans is masterfully handling lots of power in stock form.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
they have sohc engines which tend to make more peak power, those numbers are using 93 octane, also they are getting direct injection for 2018 which makes up the extra 20hp

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Procharger :) ...done, easy fix for HP :)

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
they have sohc engines which tend to make more peak power, those numbers are using 93 octane, also they are getting direct injection for 2018 which makes up the extra 20hp

DOHC, assuming we are stilling talking about the Coyote engine. Try pricing out a cam change on that engine.

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah there is no substitute for the sound of a V8. You have got to respect a company that can make big power out of a small engine, but i think a lot of times people make huge deal out of a small blown engine. Yes its impressive, but take a huge displacement hemi head engine completely built up you can make thousands of horsepower. If you level the playing field, bigger displacement will always put out bigger power. Anything CAN be done. Its just a matter of what a manufacturer WANTS to do. We just live in a time were big engines are going the way of the dinosaur so everyones looking to the new tech to topple the old school power.

Tesla

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rumor has it, that next year's Coyote/5.0 Mustang will make 455 hp.
No cams needed.

I agree with the ProCharger advocate, whole heartedly. If l had an 8 speed, id have a seond ProCharger.