Why doesn't the 5.7 Hemi make more HP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not sure why some are saying the ram needs more power when you can get a good custom tune and run neck and neck with the mustang ( in a 5000 or over lb truck) I have a quad cab with bolt on's and a custom tune and have beaten a couple new 5.0 mustangs not buy much but still won .comparing a truck to a sports car is kinda dumb . if you want to haul stuff ,pull a trailer or just drive then a truck will do but if you want to go fast then buy a sports car if you want to compare the two the put some bags of concrete in a mustang and some 33" tires on it and see which one is better. Just my 2 cents

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked up the 0-60 time tor a 15 Ram quad. The 13 does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. The 15 Rebel does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds.

The slowest new Mustang is either the turbo 4 or the V6. They both will do 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. The GT does it in 4.4 seconds.

Do you have a bridge for sale?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I dont feel like my Ram will out run my Mustang, even with just a little 300hp V6.
One thing with the V6 it dont blow the rear tires off it just spins them alittle and takes off , it goes pretty quick for what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20130721_173452_284.jpg
    IMG_20130721_173452_284.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 37

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Say what you want there is plenty proof out there

tuned by Jay Greene

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I see this thread went all over the place.

The reason why the Hemi doesnt make more power from the factory is efficiency. Like stated on the first page the 5.0 is OHC, more valves, better flowing heads, intake manifold etc.
Face it this Hemi has been around for along time compared to the Coyote motor.

And I totally know how you feel. Us Grand Prix's owners all felt the same way 10 years ago when our push rod 3.8L Supercharged V6 only made 240HP and here comes a 3.0L OHC making the same HP or better yet the 3.5L, 3.6L coming up on 300HP.

The HEMI is just old tech. It's great to see what they have done with the 392 and Hellcat but I'm really not sure where they go from here.

A better comparison would be the 5.0 mustang and the 5.0 equipped ford trucks.... Why don't they make the same power???? cause they don't from factory and they have the exact same motor for the most part...

Why do the truck Hemi make 395 and the car version makes 345 ???
HP isn't the only part of the formula. transmission, gears, vehicle weight, tune, epa rating requirements... etc etc

The 5.0 in Stang and F-150 are basically the same but there is a lot of small differences from what I read. And a tune is probably the biggest factor.

The car 5.7Ls have a more restrictive intake manifold compared to the trucks. Truck ones a bigger since there's more room.
I remember reading too there was something else along with a tune is to why the RAM has more HP.

advertised HP numbers are usually peak HP numbers. I can tell you right now the mustang 5.0 feels like a turbo V6 with no guts down low and a surge of power around 3500 rpm. my Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 made 355 hp but was all torque from idle up. felt like more satisfying power delivery than the mustang

You been in a new 5.0. Granted it's not a low RPM TQ monster like a LSx motor but my brother has a 2016 GT and that thing will pin you in the seat. P

I dont feel like my Ram will out run my Mustang, even with just a little 300hp V6.
One thing with the V6 it dont blow the rear tires off it just spins them alittle and takes off , it goes pretty quick for what it is.

I just got my wife a MKZ with that same 3.6L V6 and dude that car will FLY. Sad they are going to stop making, but I understand why.

and that's another example of efficiency, the ecoboost stang making almost the same HP has the V6.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Restrictions in the exhaust and intake. It's all about making EPA standards. Plus your comparing apples to oranges i.e. Trucks and cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is where our truck get air not efficient?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You been in a new 5.0. Granted it's not a low RPM TQ monster like a LSx motor

Granted the LSX platform has more nuts down low then the Coyote engine, neither one of them are remotely "torquey" lol! Have you driven any of the LS platform trucks besides a 6.2? They are down right embarrassing for low end power.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Granted the LSX platform has more nuts down low then the Coyote engine, neither one of them are remotely "torquey" lol! Have you driven any of the LS platform trucks besides a 6.2? They are down right embarrassing for low end power.

He may be referring to the actual lsx motors. Ls1, ls2, ls3, etc... Which are all torque monsters. The 5.3 in the trucks is a dog in stock form but actually has a lot of potential, even the 4.8 does to.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Trucks are meant to do "Truck" things. My truck has a tune, headers, exhaust, cai, soon TB and finally a pro charger down the road. With a 6" lift and 35's I still play around with 5.0's and SS's and even the vettes.

Best way to beat anyone in a truck is to honk twice then blow your air horn and punch it :) you beat anything off the line and I have had a motorcycle actually fall over one time :).

Bottom line I can tow whatever I want and park on top of any car that ****** me off. The "Truck" Hemi is a workhorse not a sports car motor. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not sure why some are saying the ram needs more power when you can get a good custom tune and run neck and neck with the mustang ( in a 5000 or over lb truck) I have a quad cab with bolt on's and a custom tune and have beaten a couple new 5.0 mustangs not buy much but still won .comparing a truck to a sports car is kinda dumb . if you want to haul stuff ,pull a trailer or just drive then a truck will do but if you want to go fast then buy a sports car if you want to compare the two the put some bags of concrete in a mustang and some 33" tires on it and see which one is better. Just my 2 cents

tuned by Jay Greene

Sorry but that is a complete crock of ****. If you're going to make stuff up try at least to make it somewhat believable. But feel free to post some 12 sec timeslips with video proof to back up these claims:p

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 5.0 in Stang and F-150 are basically the same but there is a lot of small differences from what I read. And a tune is probably the biggest factor.

Cams are probably the biggest factor between the two setups.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

If your talking about the truck motors, yeah there all dogs even the 6.2L to some extent but that's because GM neuters the stock tune. It's horrible.

Like the G8 for example. You would be lucky to get into the 13s stock, with just a tranny tune you will be running mid to low 13s.

He may be referring to the actual lsx motors. Ls1, ls2, ls3, etc... Which are all torque monsters. The 5.3 in the trucks is a dog in stock form but actually has a lot of potential, even the 4.8 does to.

Yeah I was actually referring to the LS motors.

That is one thing I love about GM, all the LS1,2,3,6,7 etcand LQ4, LQ9 etc have interchangeable parts. It's crazy. Then to tune them is so easy.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry but that is a complete crock of ****. If you're going to make stuff up try at least to make it somewhat believable. But feel free to post some 12 sec timeslips with video proof to back up these claims:p
I don't give a **** if you think its a crock of **** I've done it a few times and I don't need to prove anything .I don't have time slips because I don't go to the track. 3838779bb127f3fbffac4a47035e6949.jpg

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Meanwhile, back in Realville......

I think the 5.7 Hemi replacement is going to look a lot like a Pentistar, with 2 more cylinders. As long as l am dreaming, make the new engine boost friendly.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

There are a bunch out there. 8 speed bolt on trucks well into the 12's w/ tune, bolt ons on drag radials & some even on street tires. Heck mine ran a 13.001 @ 104 on 22's w/ a tune, intake, tb, muffler, t stat & clutch fan delete. Some of the trucks have even posted threads on this forum w/ time slips & vids so feel free to use the search feature & find them.

No Ram hasnt upped the HP on the 5.7 in a long time BUT the addition if the 8 speed was a huge jump in economy & power to the ground for Ram

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There are a bunch out there. 8 speed bolt on trucks well into the 12's w/ tune, bolt ons on drag radials & some even on street tires. Heck mine ran a 13.001 @ 104 on 22's w/ a tune, intake, tb, muffler, t stat & clutch fan delete. Some of the trucks have even posted threads on this forum w/ time slips & vids so feel free to use the search feature & find them.

No Ram hasnt upped the HP on the 5.7 in a long time BUT the addition if the 8 speed was a huge jump in economy & power to the ground for Ram

Thanks for your help:) I don't know how my comment to him became a challenge to you. A CCSB is not in the same category as a RCSB R/T and I simply called BS and asked for proof. So don't take it personally.

Spent plenty of time researching mods and results. I've been down the road with about every available bolt on and I've run tunes from both Jay and HF. So while I have respect for both tuners I not leg-******* Jay either. Also own a 2012 Mustang GT which runs 110 in the quarter stock so I know what that feels like. My friend has a 2017 Rebel with 3.92 gears and I know what that feels like too. But of course he doesn't have a JG tune, so maybe that's it:D

Last edited:

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for your help:) I don't know how my comment to him became a challenge to you. A CCSB is not in the same category as a RCSB R/T and I simply called BS and asked for proof. So don't take it personally.

Spent plenty of time researching mods and results. I've been down the road with about every available bolt on and I've run tunes from both Jay and HF. So while I have respect for both tuners I not leg-******* Jay either. Also own a 2012 Mustang GT which runs 110 in the quarter stock so I know what that feels like. My friend has a 2017 Rebel with 3.92 gears and I know what that feels like too. But of course he doesn't have a JG tune, so maybe that's it:D
I didn't take it personal at all I simply stated I don't care what anybody thinks . me and a lot of people on this forum and a lot of other forums know this to be true and there is more than enough proof out there but I'm not gonna sit here and post a bunch of links or time slips. I have no proof because I never have time to make a video on a spur of the moment race ( I'll try harder next time) nor do I go to the track there are a lot of people here that go to the track and its very satisfying to bust some guys ass think his little 5.0 is faster than my big ol fat ass truck .if you street race then when you go to the track everybody around know what you have. If you don't think a quad cab ram with bolt on's and tune can beat a 5.0 mustang on the street then do some more research because it can happen. Gary is one of the people here that knows it can happen

tuned by Jay Greene

Last edited: