Why doesn't the 5.7 Hemi make more HP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You guys are missing the entire point of the 5.7 and the gen 4 RAM now. At this point it's all a cash grab. All R&D that can reasonably be expected has been done and there won't be anything more than small tweaks until the Gen 5 platform.

They're also in no hurry because:

1. Sales of the 5.7 and gen 4 are still strong, especially against margin, and

2. no one knows which way the federal mileage mandate wind will blow now.

Don't think of any of this in terms of HP, marketing, new vs old technology, it's really ALL about the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
The Hemi is a 16 valve, push rod V8. Sure, the heads flow well, but when comparing it to a 32 valve, dual overhead cam, high revving V8...apples to oranges. Cam profiles, compression ratio, bore x stroke, how high you can spin the engine while still making power all play a part in it.

This dude hit the nail on the head.
Read this and stop asking that question.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wikipedia says the Pentistar in the Challenger makes 305 hp at 6350 rpm. The 5.7 can rev that high.

305 horses out of 3.6 liters is 84.72 horses per liter. 5.7 X 84.72 is 482.9.

If Chrysler is making money on this old engine, l get it. It is a good old engine.

And l will ask any question l like. If you don't approve, l dont care.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A lot is all in the programming of the truck. Tunes make a world of difference.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wikipedia says the Pentistar in the Challenger makes 305 hp at 6350 rpm. The 5.7 can rev that high.

If Chrysler is making money on this old engine, l get it. It is a good old engine.

A little sensitive? Wasn't attacking your question, just stating the reason why you won't get what you're asking about from FCA.

EDIT: I can do division too:

A top fueler makes 10,000HP from 500cid, or 1,221HP/liter. Why can't we have that?

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A better comparison would be the 5.0 mustang and the 5.0 equipped ford trucks.... Why don't they make the same power???? cause they don't from factory and they have the exact same motor for the most part...

Why do the truck Hemi make 395 and the car version makes 345 ???
HP isn't the only part of the formula. transmission, gears, vehicle weight, tune, epa rating requirements... etc etc

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, but why has there been no big improvements in the horse power and torque ratings in the 5.7 liter Ram motor?

The only plus of me trading in my 2012 1500 4x4 Big Horn is to get the 8 speed transmission. But its gonna take more than a couple extra gears for me to spend $55k Now if a new Ram had 420hp and 435 on the torque meter I'd be a proud owner.

But the 5.7 has had barely any increase in power in almost 10yrs!

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, but why has there been no big improvements in the horse power and torque ratings in the 5.7 liter Ram motor?

The only plus of me trading in my 2012 1500 4x4 Big Horn is to get the 8 speed transmission. But its gonna take more than a couple extra gears for me to spend $55k Now if a new Ram had 420hp and 435 on the torque meter I'd be a proud owner.

But the 5.7 has had barely any increase in power in almost 10yrs!

I understand wanting the latest and greatest, but in a daily basis how often do you utilize the full power of your engine? Guys that tow a lot probably would appreciate the gains, but for daily driving how much is actually needed?

Would 30 extra horsepower and torque make that much of a difference in your everyday life?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would 30 extra horsepower and torque make that much of a difference in your everyday life?

Yes!
If I spent the majority of my miles in a big city or a town, or driving on a flat open highway, then probably not. But, from where I live to where I work there is about 2000' difference in elevation. I know that's not a huge difference, but it's not a steady climb or fall. There's rolling hills/mountains on the freeway that sometimes require downshifts into 3rd and often into 4th gear.
But of course it would all depend on where that horsepower and torque is. If there is no change except on peak numbers, then I'd probably not notice it. But if my torque was increased 30+ throughout the rpm's and especially between 2-4000, then I surely would notice it.
Its not very often that I'm in that 4500-5500 rpm range, but when I am, it should feel good. Not make me depressed.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
advertised HP numbers are usually peak HP numbers. I can tell you right now the mustang 5.0 feels like a turbo V6 with no guts down low and a surge of power around 3500 rpm. my Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 made 355 hp but was all torque from idle up. felt like more satisfying power delivery than the mustang

I think the better thing to do is get the HP/TQ graph and calculate total area under the curves rather than peak HP/TQ. probably more real world value on how powerful a motor is.

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Hemi in a the Callenger makes even less HP than our trucks. So that comparison gets even worse.

If Ford can pass EPA, Dodge ought to be able to also.

Ever heard of the Pentistar? It is dual overhead cam, 4 valve per engine.

GM has managed to keep Thor schmancy new 650 hp 650 tq Camero cool.

There is no excuse.

If you're going to bring up the Camaro, which has a supercharged 6.2L with direct injection, you need to compare it to the hellcat, which makes more power and torque than it with the same displacement lol

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Once again, the 3.6 is a DOHC V6, literally nothing is the same about it. 60* DOHC vs 90* push rod V8...

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A better comparison would be the 5.0 mustang and the 5.0 equipped ford trucks.... Why don't they make the same power???? cause they don't from factory and they have the exact same motor for the most part...

Why do the truck Hemi make 395 and the car version makes 345 ???
HP isn't the only part of the formula. transmission, gears, vehicle weight, tune, epa rating requirements... etc etc

A big part of the difference in the 370hp Challenger vs the 395hp truck is the intake manifold. The trucks have the SRV style intake with the flapper valve in it; internally it is identical to a 6.4 SRT intake, with only the zip tube being different.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I think ram should up the 5.7 to 420 hp 460 tq and show gm what a 5.7 can do up ikes gauntlet lol but for me that upgrade in tq and hp would be awesome since I tow heavy loads. and It woulnt change the gas mileage much either.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think ram should up the 5.7 to 420 hp 460 tq and show gm what a 5.7 can do up ikes gauntlet lol but for me that upgrade in tq and hp would be awesome since I tow heavy loads. and It woulnt change the gas mileage much either.

Never happen. Would cut into the upsells to the 6.4 and HD models. When they upsell you to the higher HP motor, most often than not they get you into a more expensive overall package as well.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I went in another direction, found a new demolished Prius with a very low reading on the odo (250 miles) and i snapped that baby up right quick like. Man talk about low petrol usage for a RAM 1500 R/T. Rock on men rock on!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If you're going to bring up the Camaro, which has a supercharged 6.2L with direct injection, you need to compare it to the hellcat, which makes more power and torque than it with the same displacement lol

Its always amazing when people compare two engines that have nothing in common, especially as far as purpose, marketing target, tuning, etc. Face palm.

If the LT4 is brought up, we compare to Hellcat. If the 5.7 Hemi is brought up, we compare to 5.3/5.0. Etc, etc.

To the vast majority of people, the 5.7 Hemi has more than enough power. And you cant even get a V8 in a Ford or GM Sedan anymore, or come to think of it, any crossover or SUV save the Tahoe line which is basically a truck. Which is why it sells so good. You can option the Hemi in the Durango and the Grand Cherokee, which are not truck based. The sedan/SUV version makes I think 370/395 now. And its not just numbers on paper. The 5.7 Hemi feels great in the real world. Its very smooth, sounds real good and has gobs of torque down low and still pulls real hard up high.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys are missing the entire point of the 5.7 and the gen 4 RAM now. At this point it's all a cash grab. All R&D that can reasonably be expected has been done and there won't be anything more than small tweaks until the Gen 5 platform.

They're also in no hurry because:

1. Sales of the 5.7 and gen 4 are still strong, especially against margin, and

2. no one knows which way the federal mileage mandate wind will blow now.

Don't think of any of this in terms of HP, marketing, new vs old technology, it's really ALL about the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you are correct to an extent. However, ever manufacturer can only make money if people want their product. If ford, gm, etc start making more powerful engines with better economy and ratings Ram will fall behind. So you are correct they aren't making big changes but not because they don't want to. The next gen engine is already in development. the 5.7 is strong but I wouldn't be surprised if they go the route of Ford, smaller displacement but more HP and torque from a supercharger or turbo set up.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A little sensitive? Wasn't attacking your question, just stating the reason why you won't get what you're asking about from FCA.

EDIT: I can do division too:

A top fueler makes 10,000HP from 500cid, or 1,221HP/liter. Why can't we have that?

Cause you would need a 1000 gallon gas tank to go 300 miles!

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you are correct to an extent. However, ever manufacturer can only make money if people want their product. If ford, gm, etc start making more powerful engines with better economy and ratings Ram will fall behind. So you are correct they aren't making big changes but not because they don't want to. The next gen engine is already in development. the 5.7 is strong but I wouldn't be surprised if they go the route of Ford, smaller displacement but more HP and torque from a supercharger or turbo set up.

I agree with this. I think it's just a matter of time before our big v8s are a thing of the past. Small forced induction seems to be the future for manufacturers. It is amazing how much power those smaller engines can make while being extremely efficient. Maybe they'll install some sort of "noise maker" to mimic that v8 growl?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro