Why Ram Truck owners insist on undercoating and rustproofing their trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
In which weather areas should one undercoat and rustproof their trucks? What do you think about this story?

Original source: Why Ram Truck owners insist on undercoating and rustproofing their trucks

As the winter weather approaches, Ram truck owners are comparing notes on why they get rustproofing reapplied every year and what type works the best.

The discussion among Ram truck owners started when an owner named Reek asked the question “How much rust do you have under your truck?” Reek has a 2015 Ram and says “Just curious. I was taking pics of my rear spring mounts for another reason. I can't get over how much rust there is, surface stuff but a lot. Its a 2015. I don't remember my 2014 having much at all.” And with that the forum boards lit up with other truck owners comparing notes. Reek was from Sacramento, which seems odd. That isn’t where you usually think of heavy weather.

Another owner of a 1500 Rebel responded that rust on the undercarriage was “Unfortunately, pretty typical”.

Why have trucks undercoated
The truck owners then starting explaining why they shell out the money every year to have their trucks undercoated. “That looks about right. I had the same amount of rust the first year with my Jeep. I learned from that and fluid filmed my RAM and so far is holding up well.”

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If your town/state use salt during the winter on the roads I would invest in undercoating

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would consider fluid film for the winter, its a good alternative to a permanent undercoat.

16MaxSteelOutdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took mine through Ziebart in Haskell, NJ for mine. I like the evolution, they drilled no holes, simply removed grommets in the doors and body to spray the honey colored stuff into the body crevices and of course coated the bottom with the tar like stuff. I get lots of mixed reviews on rustproofing. I even had them spray the inside bumpers, because I want that extra protection. I bought a can of rustproofing and sprayed the inside of the bumpers on my Ranger, and when those models were 3 years old, I already saw bumper rust, but not on mine.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
This is why you undercoat
d9ca9294bbffbd1e542a88dc33044f2a.jpg

To avoid repairs like this on both sides

a545cb7438cd6ae9defbf936ca888a90.jpg

To get this

27ac1d09e5fda9f7a6d31eed41002ec4.jpg

Now I am taking mine back to the body guy in a few weeks to take care of the bed rust on top of the wheel wells. Just noticed the paint starting to bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is it to late to still do it?

Attachments

• 1475199052044.jpg
    1475199052044.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 1475198810623.jpg
    1475198810623.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 248

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is why you undercoat
d9ca9294bbffbd1e542a88dc33044f2a.jpg

To avoid repairs like this on both sides

a545cb7438cd6ae9defbf936ca888a90.jpg

To get this

27ac1d09e5fda9f7a6d31eed41002ec4.jpg

Now I am taking mine back to the body guy in a few weeks to take care of the bed rust on top of the wheel wells. Just noticed the paint starting to bubble.

Got any pics of the wheel wells?

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Mine goes in on Wednesday to be sprayed with Krown.
I've seen too many FCA products rot out!

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not up to date on the current underlining products on the market but every older vehicle I have dealt with that had some type of underlining seemed like the rust was worse underneath the undercoating than on the non treated areas. Im sure some of this can be attributed to the painters prep work though.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im not up to date on the current underlining products on the market but every older vehicle I have dealt with that had some type of underlining seemed like the rust was worse underneath the undercoating than on the non treated areas. Im sure some of this can be attributed to the painters prep work though.
If you're referring to the older rubberized undercoating like Rusty Jones or something similar I would agree. However Krown, Waxoyl, and Fluid Film are nothing like that. They're a waxy oily coating that must be reapplied at least annually. But they all work better than the old rubberized undercoatings

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're referring to the older rubberized undercoating like Rusty Jones or something similar I would agree. However Krown, Waxoyl, and Fluid Film are nothing like that. They're a waxy oily coating that must be reapplied at least annually. But they all work better than the old rubberized undercoatings

I agree that the oily type rustproofing sprays are the best. There are a few brands as mentioned. I use one not mentioned above that works very well.

https://corrosionfree.com/

I'd recommend these types of rustproofing treatments anywhere you have winter with heavy salt/liquid brine use.

I'd also recommend it to anyone living on the Atlantic or Pacific coastlines because salt water in the air & in the rain can do just as much harm as living in a wintery climate.

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use motor oil. I spray it in the rockers, cab corners, tops of fenders, bottom of tailgate and in the hood. Just sold my 2005 Ram 1500 and had zero rust thru.

I did repaint the bottom half of the truck two years ago, but that was because of stone chips from all-terrain tires.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
In which weather areas should one undercoat and rustproof their trucks? What do you think about this story?

Original source: ............

What I think of the story? Well the author of that story would fail any college level journalism class basing his story on internet board threads and not doing any real homework on the need or not need of truck under coatings.

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What I think of the story? Well the author of that story would fail any college level journalism class basing his story on internet board threads and not doing any real homework on the need or not need of truck under coatings.
My feelings exactly.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi

You bet. When the rubberized stuff cracked it would actually hold contaminants in and make things rot faster :emotions122: