Winch mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olveraj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone mounted a winch where the spare tire goes? Would it make sense?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I've never seen one mounted there before. Doesn't seem like there would be any structurally significant mounting points to support a winch unless someone fab'd up a mount with it attached to the frame somehow. Crawling under the truck to release the spool or pull out the line would be a PITA. Especially if the cable is underneath the bumper or other parts.

They make towing receiver winch mounts/cradles that can be removed and stored.

1653679251440.png

1653679304314.png

OP
OP
O

Olveraj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I was thinking of fab-ing something up and going thru the tag with the cable and release. I bought it used and came with train horn and air tank in place of the spare. Getting rid of it. Don't want winch in front

Attachments

• 83005C02-F631-46AB-9668-E8E57B9A1FE2.jpeg
    83005C02-F631-46AB-9668-E8E57B9A1FE2.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 22

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Only other thing to think about, when folks have a winch up front, they usually have a bumper setup or mounted where it is semi-protected from the elements and debris, underneath where the spare would be, it's pretty exposed to everything that would crap up everything.

Last edited:

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone mounted a winch where the spare tire goes? Would it make sense?

If your adding a winch to the your truck your probably investing in vehicle recovery items. Why would you get rid of your spare? Getting rid of your spare would be like cutting off your foot in the middle of the desert.

OP
OP
O

Olveraj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck didn't come with spare. Used truck. Has air tank there

OP
OP
O

Olveraj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buying matching spare, will be mounted in bed!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If I were you and wanted to mount the winch on the back, I would get a custom rear bumper made. If you actually plan to use the winch, putting it where the spare used to be is going to be a very inconvenient spot. It also makes winding the cable back on level nearly impossible. My winches are all front mounted, with three $natch blocks or $natch rings I can easily pull myself backwards if I want to. Have rarely had to do that in 50 years of off roading. I have always carried 4 off the rings and 3 of the full sized blocks but have only rarely ever used more than one or two of them.

1653748736121.png
1653748751558.png
1653748770369.png

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a 1500 there is actually a lot of room for a hidden winch mount up front.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
On a 1500 there is actually a lot of room for a hidden winch mount up front.
There is on the 2500 as well, but personally I want my winches up where I can get at them easily, deal with tangles and keep the contactors lubed and clean. I also want to be able to easily get at the winch if the front end is buried in swamp or a creek. Higher mounted winches are just much easier to deal with in really bad country. That said, if all a guys wheeling is done in dry, dessert type terrain the under slung winches should not be near as big a problem.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is on the 2500 as well, but personally I want my winches up where I can get at them easily, deal with tangles and keep the contactors lubed and clean.

Yep I agree. I wouldn't want my winch hidden just giving the guy a options. I don't think he off roads much just from his wheels and tires. I am looking at winch bumpers but still haven't decide what bumper yet. I will probably have one before winter at least.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yep I agree. I wouldn't want my winch hidden just giving the guy a options. I don't think he off roads much just from his wheels and tires. I am looking at winch bumpers but still haven't decide what bumper yet. I will probably have one before winter at least.
Check out Bullet Proof Bumpers out of REd Deer Alberta. Buying in U.S. dollars you save 30%. Excellent bumpers, you see them all over the oil patch up here because they are tough but still fairly light. My hunting buddy has one on his 1/2 ton and I am very impressed with it. He needed a whole new bumper because he had the painted factory one and it was chipped and rusted all to heck so figured might as well put a winch on at the same time.

1653758556507.png

1653758437974.png

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out Bullet Proof Bumpers out of REd Deer Alberta. Buying in U.S. dollars you save 30%.

I have one on my chevy 3500hd it's definitely nice. Still debating on going with the pre-runner look or work horse style. Probably won't decide until I have the funds for it. I want projector headlights first. After my shocks and rear springs that was a hefty bill

CliffordK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never seen one mounted there before. Doesn't seem like there would be any structurally significant mounting points to support a winch unless someone fab'd up a mount with it attached to the frame somehow. Crawling under the truck to release the spool or pull out the line would be a PITA. Especially if the cable is underneath the bumper or other parts.

They make towing receiver winch mounts/cradles that can be removed and stored.
If a hitch and the rear suspension attaches to the frame a winch could too, but it would take some Jerry Rigging.

Interesting point that if you're pickup is buried in the mud, perhaps a winch under it would not be desirable (although, better than nothing).

I fabbed up a similar receiver hitch for my trailer using a piece of scrap channel iron. Thus it is easy to mount, remove, and use independently from the trailer. I added two "D-Rings" to allow it to be used with straps or a chain. I haven't adapted it to use with the hitch receiver yet.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only good looking bumper on our trucks is AEV . Those big bulky ones just add unnecessary weight to a 1500.

Ive buried my truck plenty of times. But since I off-road a lot, I know to unspool my winch and have the hook on my dash when I hit the trails. Just like on my SxS and quad. 90% of the time you use your winch to pull other people out not yourself. At least thats how my group does it since half the trucks we go out with dont have winches. Its literally a fight who can get hooked up to them first... lol...

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
This is why you don't put Winchs under the truck. As to the Bullet Proof bumpers looking like they were made by a shop class, I have seen them up close, I like them. In my world, the actual functionality and standing up to hard use is the prime determinant of what we use.

1656285135238.png

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know to unspool my winch and have the hook on my dash when I hit the trails. Just like on my SxS and quad. 90% of the time you use your winch to pull other people out not yourself. At least thats how my group does it since half the trucks we go out with dont have winches
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Excellent advice!

I have done some good wheelin' up here in BC and some in the mud of AB/SK. And also drove different sized tow trucks for 18 years.
If you think your going to need it, have it ready to use.

For the guys who want a hidden one, they do work, as long as you maintain them with grease etc. You will need to get one with an electric spool lock to save you from having to climb under to release and lock each time.

Snatch-blocks are a great idea also like someone mentioned, they can really get you out of a jam if you need to change the angle of your rig and also lighten the load if you run the line back to your truck.