Wont recognize key. Truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Feel your pain. I had the module go on my 2006 and I was in the middle of nowhere late at night. That was a miserable night with no cel reception or heat -10c outside and when I got it towed in parts not available on backorder. Picked up an old ford with over 400,00 km on it and left the truck at the dealer. Had a cousin take a bus up and pick it up a couple months later and put it in my garage. I finally drove it again 6 months later when summer work wrapped up and I went home. I imagine it could have been worse, but I gotta be top 10 lol.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, didn't know that. I have an AlfaOBD and have only used it for setting LED bulbs vs hallogens.
I was always too busy to play around but as of 2 weeks ago I am retired so I will have time to look into it now.
Congrats, November first was my first day actually retired as well. After 21 years in the army, working in the civilian world has been quite a change, so much less stress

Adam P Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m thinking for some reason the truck is not liking the key this morning. Most of the time it does not even acknowledge the key is being put in. Just yesterday were looking at the information on the display in the truck it said I was running at my normal voltage.

What is going on?

I have the battery currently disconnected and I’m going to wait for about 30 minutes and try again. If this is an issue with the truck recognizing the key from what I understand this might solve the problem at least for this morning.

Any ideas? Guess I might not make it to work today.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
This literally just happened to me on Halloween morning after it remoted started, but then would not recognize the key. . Disconnected the battery and tried to manually unlock with physical key, but still the key was not recognized. Only had one key fob. had to have it towed to closest dealer in which they told me it needed a new ignition switch and key fob. 2 week later and $500 I got my RAM back...

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Regular key. No fob. For some reason this tradesmen did not come with a key Farb just a regular key that I have to stick in the door to unlock it.

Not sure maybe there’s some kind of chip in this key....?

Holly crap , that is so old school, kind of like the wifes CRV, so no battery in the fob ? but a chip I suppose

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Holly crap , that is so old school, kind of like the wifes CRV, so no battery in the fob ? but a chip I suppose
The battery is irrelevant. No matter what type of key/fob you have for a ram, they all use a SKIS. You can start the truck without a battery in the fob at all, as it’s only necessary for remote functions.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks ,us old farts can still learn stuff. My 14 sport with bush button start , has a couple of times not picked up the fob, have to hold against the start button, and it will work, 99 % of the times it is fine.
I remember reading in the manual for my 2009 Laramie with the stick shift that you could get it ut of park if the battery was dead. This one ,I would have to read the book

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I've had two non-start experiences with the ignition on my truck. The first time turnng the fob 180 degrees and placing back in the switch cured the problem. The second time couldn't get anything to work with it, except a few dash lights. Had truck towed home until I returned from vacation. Then occurred to me to try disconnecting the vehicle battery before towing to the dealer -- it worked and no problems since! I had to relearn the age old wisdom: "start with the simplest and cheapest fix scenario, but with a new twist: "if its a computer power it completely down to reset". Now your problem appears thornier but at least once you get it fixed you aren't likely to have it happen again, and you will be in a much better position to help someone else with a similar problem.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just to clarify for everyone the key will not turn on accessories therefore I cannot do anything like roll the windows down or even take the truck out of park.

So if I need towed eventually I’m literally going to have to drag my truck out of the garage because there’s only about a 2 inch clearance from the top of my cab to the garage door so a tow truck will not be able to pick the back of it up since I cannot get it out of the park.

100% **** show.

their is a manual way to put the truck in neutral-on my Bighorn you have to remove a plastic cap beside the gearshift-please dont drag it with the wheels locked up.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Yes

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Feel your pain. I had the module go on my 2006 and I was in the middle of nowhere late at night. That was a miserable night with no cel reception or heat -10c outside and when I got it towed in parts not available on backorder. Picked up an old ford with over 400,00 km on it and left the truck at the dealer. Had a cousin take a bus up and pick it up a couple months later and put it in my garage. I finally drove it again 6 months later when summer work wrapped up and I went home. I imagine it could have been worse, but I gotta be top 10 lol.

Dang!

This makes me madder than hell. This ******** ideal with the keys is leaving people stranded and parts on backorder. That is exactly what I heard too. If the RF hub that I bought does not work and I’m also going to be waiting until mid December for backordered parts.

I found the only RF hub in the state. Luckily only had to drive an hour and a half one way to get it.

Truck got dropped off at the dealer early yesterday morning still sitting in the parking lot hoping they get to it today. I made it easy by removing the backseat completely and pulling back the insulation on the wall so all they have to do is plug and play.

Last edited:

BaysideTank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yeah, what a scary feeling. I was out in the country side. Parked to take some pictures. When I got in the Truck, turned the key, and NOTHING! Talk about breaking out in a sweat in the middle of nowhere. I thought maybe the battery cables were loose. The positive was loose. So, I took it off and wiped it with a clean rag. I installed it, tightened it, and tried it. It was odd, but I had to remove the key, and re insert it about 5 times before it started right up. Everything is computer controlled on my 2018 1500 two door. Even when I press on the horn, there is a delay before it beeps. I've had this truck now for a year. Think I'll change the batteries on the Fobs to make sure they keep working...

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Makes me want to get the book out again and read up on keyless push button stuff, I should try taking the battery out of the fob and see if the truck will start, it should, I think. I love keyless crap, but back in the stone age , you could always start a truck, a hammer, piece of wire and if you where Hi Tec, you had pliers, and I remember starting my garbage truck with the crank, '49 Fargo that Dad bought new

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have jumped across a solenoid on a starter and the ole switch on firewall on old Fords, made the mistake of doing that on a 76 Ford Wagon standing in snow. Closed circuit, and that coil unit threw me against a wall, LMAO, "Learn by Experience", lol

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Makes me want to get the book out again and read up on keyless push button stuff, I should try taking the battery out of the fob and see if the truck will start, it should, I think. I love keyless crap, but back in the stone age , you could always start a truck, a hammer, piece of wire and if you where Hi Tec, you had pliers, and I remember starting my garbage truck with the crank, '49 Fargo that Dad bought new
I
if the battery in the fob dies I believe you just have to press the button with the fob and it'll start.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I
if the battery in the fob dies I believe you just have to press the button with the fob and it'll start.

While U R in group. Go to upper right and "click" on yer name: U will get 2 columns of sub menu. On left, Click on "Signature"

There U go

Reactions: BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
While U R in group. Go to upper right and "click" on yer name: U will get 2 columns of sub menu. On left, Click on "Signature"

There U go
Forgot I was trying to do that. I don't see my sig on my own posts. Is that normal?

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Did you try starting it in neutral. That works on other things I have had. Neutral foot on brake and then start. Hoping I helped.

Reactions: U&A

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot I was trying to do that. I don't see my sig on my own posts. Is that normal?

U gotta go in there and make it and save it first: Click on yer name top right, see below.

topsig.JPG TOP of forum: click on yer name then:

Click on signature and then go to town and then save at end...
sig.JPG