Would you buy a 2018 this month or wait for a 2019 in spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you've seen the spy pics and you're still interested in the 2019, then my advice would be to wait and see if you like it better. If you haven't seen the spy pics then you really should. They are easy to find with a google search. I've seen enough of the 2019 model to know that I'd buy a 2018 if I was in your position. Good luck with your decision.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd want the hemi over the di turbo, end of story. Or even a lesser 8 cylinder, get whatever option other then the di turbo if you want longevity.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ‘19 pics supposedly don’t do the trick any justice, at least the exterior. The interior is a clear significant upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the record, the 4th gens were butt ugly to me when they first came out. They've grown on me enough that I bought one. :) If I was in the market right now, I'd try to wait for the new ones to come out.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would never buy the first few years of any design change. In almost every case they have the most mechanical and body issues of the design. They are the ones to avoid when buying used down the road. I prefer to buy the later years of any design as they have usually worked out most of the problems by the end of the run.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m looking at a couple of leftover 2017 Longhorns and a few 2018 Lamarie’s right now, for a lease deal. There are fairly good lease rebates and discount programs available on 2018 models right now from what I’ve seen. I’m leaning toward the 2018 because it’s a model year newer and has support for Apple CarPlay. I’d love to get into a top line Tungsten Limited model but I can’t seem to get the lease under 600/month. Laramie’s listing at 58k I’m getting payments between 450-500/month on a 39 month term. Anyone seeing better deals that are looking at leases through CC?

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m looking at a couple of leftover 2017 Longhorns and a few 2018 Lamarie’s right now, for a lease deal. There are fairly good lease rebates and discount programs available on 2018 models right now from what I’ve seen. I’m leaning toward the 2018 because it’s a model year newer and has support for Apple CarPlay. I’d love to get into a top line Tungsten Limited model but I can’t seem to get the lease under 600/month. Laramie’s listing at 58k I’m getting payments between 450-500/month on a 39 month term. Anyone seeing better deals that are looking at leases through CC?

A Laramie for 58k USD? 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
- - -snip- - -
I believe the only improvements you will see in the 2019 will be in the technology area (blind spot monitoring, radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc...)
- - -snip- - -

See, this is exactly why I’m choosing to order an ‘18 model and not a ‘19. At one point, I myself thought about waiting a little bit to see what the new 5th-Gen Ram might have in store but since for one the spy photos don’t look good at all and for 2, after I read an article on like, Car and Driver or whatever it was that was saying that the Ram was “outdated” because it lacked all that safety Lane Departure/Front Crash Warning/Blind Spot Monitoring ********, I figured it might not be so outdated...on the new ones...lol. I don’t want that crap on my vehicle and quite frankly I think it needs to be outlawed.

Sure, let’s REALLY give distracted drivers a reason to not freakin’ pay attention. They’ll think they got autopilot now...

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to be ordering a 2018 Limited 1500 pretty much with everything a Limited comes with, minus the bed liner and step rails with added 3.92 gears, limited-slip diff, locking lug nuts, tow hooks, chrome bumpers, trailer tow group (tow mirrors and brake controller) and sun roof. The MSRP for all that on ramtrucks.com is $56,800 with an estimated selling cost of 53 grand.

Of course, I won’t know exactly what those numbers will be until the truck comes in and thenegotiation begins...[emoji41]

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say wait for the new model. I remember when I had a 3rd GEN and saw the 4th GEN come out I thought it was ugly. Now my opinion has changed. I'm sure the same will happen with the 5th gen, they always release a base looking truck for the first year or so and then they dress it up a year or two into that chassis.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Thread clean up. Keep it on track and take the ******* match to pm's

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
got them now :happy107:

0b32765245351087b4aa3ccb00a80fff.jpg

lak8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I would buy a first year production model. I've had a 2004 Nissan Titan in the past (first year they made them) and its been great with very little issues (plus you have warranty).

Not sure about domestic, but i've heard import makers usually do this... apparently at least for the interior they use nicer leathers and other higher grade material to make the interior more premium. This is because the first years are where all the testers/reviews come in so they want the first year production models to be there best. Now i'm not sure if this is true anymore but it has been confirmed in the past by toyota and honda

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would buy a first year production model. I've had a 2004 Nissan Titan in the past (first year they made them) and its been great with very little issues (plus you have warranty).

Not sure about domestic, but i've heard import makers usually do this... apparently at least for the interior they use nicer leathers and other higher grade material to make the interior more premium. This is because the first years are where all the testers/reviews come in so they want the first year production models to be there best. Now i'm not sure if this is true anymore but it has been confirmed in the past by toyota and honda

I can agree with that and yes, irregardless of how many bugs a new design may have in it to get worked out, at least it’ll be under warranty but hopefully one wouldn’t have to set up a second address at the dealership if there were many bugs...lol.

Cars have become a lot more complex over the years and have come along way in terms of technological aspect than they were back 14 years ago. A lot more high-tech electronics.

But, if you’re the type that needs to have the latest and greatest in new stuff, I’d say wait. I’d probably wait myself and just despite since the spy photos ain’t lookin’ too good in my opinion and that it’ll most likely have those ‘wonderful’ new safety features, if I didn’t like what I saw, hopefully they’re will still be plenty of the new Gen-4 Rams out there left to choose from but I myself don’t wanna wait that long to around the end of winter/first of spring to get my new truck. Besides, you could always keep your 2018/2017 if you had one for a few years and and trade it in for a new one. Possibilities are endless...lol.

lak8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
The problem with trading it in a few years down the road, would be the value. I think once the new model comes out the current 4th gen model will drop alot in value. (most people will want the new body/interior style)

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw another post indicating that 2018 Lamarie and above orders are suspended for the next couple of months since 2019 production is starting up? Might mean you can’t order the Longhorn you want to order after all.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw another post indicating that 2018 Lamarie and above orders are suspended for the next couple of months since 2019 production is starting up? Might mean you can’t order the Longhorn you want to order after all.

My impression was that they were suspended indefinitely. I don’t know for sure though. Hopefully my local dealer will open up with a little more answers when I go in when I’m ready go to pull the trigger on getting my new truck.