Would you buy another Hemi - Poll?

Would you buy another Hemi?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the sample is biased, I think that's not a problem though; we're trying to figure out "would you buy another hemi", kind of need to poll current owners for that.

Perhaps a more subtle issue is the wording (or options) in the poll. For example, I'd definitely buy another Ram again, and, depending on what engines are available I might get a Ram with the Hemi because I want/need the power. But I have no particular love for it, I'd buy a Ram despite the Hemi, not because of it.

So missing option: "Yes, If I had no other choice in my Ram but I prefer a different engine".
It’s still completely flawed with sample population because we only represent a fraction of a fraction of the total people who’ve bought a vehicle with a hemi over the past years since this iteration of the hemi has been in production.

And we’re the enthusiasts who have a passion (for the most part) in our vehicles. We hardy represent a clear picture of owners of vehicles with Hemis.

as I said, when you go to any forum you’re gonna get the majority who are in love with the vehicle/engine and believe it can do no wrong and then you’ll get that small group who just hate it for whatever reason lol.

It’s odd but there’s so many forums composed of what I described.

I’d say I fall in the category of not being brand loyal but if it treats me right then I’d probably buy another. But I do have a serious reservation about my lifters and camshaft down the road. Hope I’m proven wrong though because I love my truck overall.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It’s still completely flawed with sample population because we only represent a fraction of a fraction of the total people who’ve bought a vehicle with a hemi over the past years since this iteration of the hemi has been in production.

And we’re the enthusiasts who have a passion (for the most part) in our vehicles. We hardy represent a clear picture of owners of vehicles with Hemis.

as I said, when you go to any forum you’re gonna get the majority who are in love with the vehicle/engine and believe it can do no wrong and then you’ll get that small group who just hate it for whatever reason lol.

It’s odd but there’s so many forums composed of what I described.

I’d say I fall in the category of not being brand loyal but if it treats me right then I’d probably buy another. But I do have a serious reservation about my lifters and camshaft down the road. Hope I’m proven wrong though because I love my truck overall.

It's not flawed at all. You just have to be careful with what conclusions you draw. I don't think Burla set out to find out if ALL past hemi owners would repurchase; he knows he's on a Ram forum, give him an ounce of credibility :)

And also keep in mind, a forum tends to attract disgruntled users, or users with problems; not just die hard enthusiasts, as you also agreed. So then we have a nice balance there of users who are happy and users that aren't. I really don't see the issue to be honest, as long as you don't try to project the results onto all past/current owners.

You could run the same question (using 5.0 coyote engine) on a Ford forum or the 5.3 + 6.2 on a GM forum and compare those results directly to these, for example. That would tell you some very useful data.

But in the end, it's just a general/curiosity question. Think we all know that.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's not flawed at all. You just have to be careful with what conclusions you draw. I don't think Burla set out to find out if ALL past hemi owners would repurchase; he knows he's on a Ram forum, give him an ounce of credibility :)

And also keep in mind, a forum tends to attract disgruntled users, or users with problems; not just die hard enthusiasts, as you also agreed. So then we have a nice balance there of users who are happy and users that aren't. I really don't see the issue to be honest, as long as you don't try to project the results onto all past/current owners.

You could run the same question (using 5.0 coyote engine) on a Ford forum or the 5.3 + 6.2 on a GM forum and compare those results directly to these, for example. That would tell you some very useful data.

But in the end, it's just a general/curiosity question. Think we all know that.

I seem to recall a similar question being asked on the Ford forum during the frozen locks fiasco. Would you buy an F150 again? The result was around a 70 yes and 30 no before the thread got locked down. Oddly enough most that said no said the next truck would probably be a Ram.
Point being a Ram forum may be a little bias but if the Hemi was such a bad engine people would say. As other posters have said they have owned multiple Hemi's and been very happy... is that biased or genuinely happy customers.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case I like the truck more than anything Ford or GM has to offer because of the ride mostly and the fact that its a better looking truck than anything than the others have and I'm talking about my 4th gen truck(not that I have anything against the 5th gen in particular)The 4th gen still has a better interior and looks better than anything that Ford or GM has made in this century. The RAM is going to ride better too regardless of what trim level you put it up against. If RAM came out with a different engine and did away with the Hemi completely I would still buy a RAM. If anything I'm surprised that it hasn't been replaced or upgraded by this point. Of course another 50 horsepower or an optional SRT 6.4 for a couple thousand dollars more would bolster those sales even more.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I think 86.4 % (right now) saying they would, is pretty damned good.

It's one of the best selling engines of all time, used in multiple platforms.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Known issues" are always greatly exaggerated, regardless of the manufacturer.
I had a Ford F-250 with the 5.4 Triton, but according to truck forums, every 5.4 had spark plug issues. Amazingly, mine didn't. My boss at work had an F150 with the 5.4, and even after 200,000 miles, he never had the issues either.
Before that I had a Subaru Outback, and everyone said I'd have the death wobble after 50,000 miles or head gasket issues. I had neither.
Now I have a Ram, so I'm waiting for the "Hemi tick" or leaking third brakelight to show up. My truck is a 2017, and either one of those may show up some day, or I may never experience either one.
If you ask the average Ram owner on the street, (not on a forum) chances are they have never even heard the phrase "hemi tick" before. That's how internet forums work.
If I used forum knowledge to decide which vehicles I purchased new, I would not have been able to purchase any of those 3. Yet each one was fine? Does that mean I'm super lucky and should buy a lottery ticket?

I'm not saying to ignore known issues, but don't assume they happen all the time. They often get blown way out of proportion.

Wornslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first HEMI and it just turned 20,000 miles. I did have the Hemi tick but since I changed to Redline oil the has went away. I would but another Hemi based on what I know now. I knew what the gas mileage would be before I bought it so that's not an issue with me.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no issue with the hemi, and would own a another vehicle with
One without reservation. I have almost 70k trouble free miles on my 17 Ram.

that said, it would not be another ram unless it was 16 or older. I bought mine without the auto park, and when I took it in for some recalls I specifically requested they not do that one. The notes on the paperwork that I requested it not be done, the tech noted on the paperwork it wasn’t done, but they did it anyway. I found out when I was backing up with the door open to watch the edge of the road/ditch and it slammed into park. I thought I hit something. Needless to say, I was not happy. I’ll never own another truck with that “feature” (I thinks it’s a fault personally) if I can help it, unless all manufacturers become required to have it and there’s no option.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
"Known issues" are always greatly exaggerated, regardless of the manufacturer.
They often get blown way out of proportion.

Say what? I have a creaky dash that shows up when AC is on. That's a rare issue, seen one other person mention it. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of posts talking about hemi tick, lifters, proper oil, cam failure etc etc. Only a fanboy would say that's "blown out of proportion".

Everybody is a critic of the critics, until it happens to them.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Say what? I have a creaky dash that shows up when AC is on. That's a rare issue, seen one other person mention it. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of posts talking about hemi tick, lifters, proper oil, cam failure etc etc. Only a fanboy would say that's "blown out of proportion".

Everybody is a critic of the critics, until it happens to them.
So, "hundreds" of posts, vs nearly 4.5 million units sold (since 2009). Lets say 800 posts meaning 800 separate known issues, that is 0.017%. Now lets double that number to 1600 to account for people that do not post on forums, 0.034%. Of those 1600, how many are each issue? You have 4 listed, so lets assume 400 each? 0.008%. I mean, while they are serious issues, and are "common" across forums, those numbers would make things seem a bit blown out of proportion.

For the record, I'm sure there are more than 1600 people that have experienced those issues, but it is all a guess at this point for those who feel both ways.

It's the same with Ecoboost issues Ford owners experience, and whatever issues GM owners experience. There are millions upon millions of these things sold, and the number of people who even experience any symptoms, let alone catastrophic failure, are so statistically insignificant vs the number on the road.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my F 150 2008 SC long box 4 wheel drive 3.5 ecoboost is now retired to being our ranch truck.
The F150 did not see the EcoBoost until 2011, which wasnt even the same generation truck as the 08. So, unless it's a custom job, that 2008 does not have an Ecoboost.

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Without Question. Great power & performance. No negative issues on my 2015.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
with the having to worry when my 5.7 well go bad I said no cuz it doesn't seem dodge they would just replace the motor if lifter goes bad ! once metal grinds away its in oil bearing and destroys the engine ! Feel sad the guys have to fight just to get it fix ! dodge use to repair things better so not happy with this problem not freely taken care of by dodge ! I m very grateful the dealer did my fuel injector exhaust manifold and a lot more ! but seems number 6 lifter or ? is clicking no code so no fix I know that already . so replace many things to be safe if I take a trip praying nothing well happen to engine ! 60,000 and so much work done on my truck licky most all under warranty but my 10 year ended dec and then had problems hopeful done with it ! I use amsoil change every 2,000 so hope it saves my engine and becuz the filter is so small and very dirty when I open one at low miles ! I work on a lot of engines when younger so kinda seen enough and for me wanting 200,000 on my truck ! a 6.4 I may get if I got another truck ! my 2009 toyota 195,000 still running great us mobile one and change every 2,000 miles very very small filter on a v 6 ! smaller than a pop can not good ! my 2 cents some are lucky great to hear that !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
oh the worst thing here in california they had dealer download new smog crap wasn't told about it at all ! and I just past smog in dec no problem as all ! I told them too not too change it ! so now I stop at a stop sign the rpms drop down to 450 engine wants to stall and not run ! no one knows how to fix it ? cam sensor didn't work ! there's another sensor but is under intake manifold ! how dumb is this ! anyone have this problem ? dealer say I don't know ya reight ! new engine stalling now stealers said we don't see anything and dont hear tapping on engine selective hearing going on there ! all I hear is replace ecm so here we go buying one gotta be some way to fix ! dealer won't sell me the fuel relay repair kit ! wow what bs right ! tried so many things now sick of this 60,000 on truck really !

Last edited:

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Absolutely. Love my Hemi. Could care less about gas mileage. Just wish it didn’t have mds. Hopefully moving up to a 6.4 next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro