Would you run Michelins anymore? Or any tire that uses recycled plastic?

Would you run tires with recycled plastic??

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I made the mistake of putting a set of Michelin tires on my Harley, lasted 4,400 miles where Dunlops lasted better than 10, 000 miles. I don't care what they use to make their tires, since I will not be purchasing tires from Michelin.

392heminut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I won't run Michelins on anything I own! If someone gave me a free set of Michelins I would sell them to someone I didn't like and use the money to buy a good set of tires!

Pretty much every Michelin tire I've ever owned seperated before it was worn out, except for the ones I put on my Harley. They just got splits in the carcass in the grooves and wore really fast! They were supposed to be high mileage touring tires.

pcwizard2600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had excellent luck with Michelins on my suburban, but that a number of years ago. I was considering including Michelins in the list of choices for my RAM, but I think I'm more concerned with the reports of sidewalls cracking or having dry rot. Fortunately, it will be a while before I need tires, hopefully will give enough time for them to prove themselves. My concern is I've seen way too many products of various types that went with "recycled whatever", and never held up as well. Time will tell.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I won't be getting them but they will need time to work out the kinks. Not everything new these days is better for the environment and they do there regular task worse than before. Solar panels are terrible, electric vehicles, renewable energy is mostly a joke at this time technology wise. The french had one smart move which was switching to Nuclear power for most of all generated electricity something like 70% and have some of the lowest energy rates in the world. Germany on the otherhand went the "renewable" route and costs are 50% higher than before. I mean look at what has happened with the soy ingredients to wire harness looms etc. I've known at least 2 people with inoprable cars from squirrels and thousands of dollars in damage. DOD, AFM lifters is another... slight increase in fuel mileage but how many cams have been eaten and engines destroyed. Good luck out there guys lol

Fuelie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
One thing that might be in play here is (no sure of the correct name). Companies now have a eco footprint rating from the government. For large corporations a low eco rating means more difficult conditions in doing business. I was at one of my largest customers and they were telling me about it.
I tend to believe this because I am a S-Corp myself and I had my annual online review. This year there was an extensive section on what I am doing to protect the envoirment. Of course I touted buying ECO diesel for less pollution and much better gas mileage :).
The government is getting out of control on company business operations.
Tom

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I voted no more because while MICHELINS are great tires, they also are very over priced. Many tires last 50,000 miles, Any more than that considering how many times they have rotated flexing each revolution in my mind you're asking for problems.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
After reading all your lengthy responses, it makes me wonder how you fit your brain inside of your midget truck?
Some people like to get personal and flirt in these threads, and I dont judge, but lets stay on topic.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This really has nothing to do with the thread,but i caught a little tidbit about Lego on the news tonight,and they apparently tried using recycled plastic for their blocks,and had issues with the blocks,and that's only a toy building block.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
This really has nothing to do with the thread,but i caught a little tidbit about Lego on the news tonight,and they apparently tried using recycled plastic for their blocks,and had issues with the blocks,and that's only a toy building block.

IIRC, the blocks were fine. The money wasn't and the 'green' part didn't materialize. The energy needs for recycling were greater or equal to the manufacturing from scratch. It's why recycling post-consumer plastic always stalls. Capitalism won't widely adopt it until it's cheaper. That's generally a good thing, as long as 'hidden costs' are accounted for.

There's a lot of smart people working on it. Somebody is going to figure it out and there will be winners and losers, like in all tech races.