Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought an '18 1500 with 5.7 and 8-speed several months ago. Separately, from a dealer online, I purchased Lifetime Maxcare. Though my truck only has roughly 14K miles currently, I'm trying to decide what to do about the transmission.

FCA does not recommend changing the fluids. According to FCA, it's a "lifetime fill." I do not think NOT servicing the transmission will cause any warranty issues. However, per the manufacturer, a fluid change at 60K is advisable. Never changing the fluid will likely eventually result in failure.

Servicing this transmission is a bit more complicated than most - and it seems like performing the service at home or anywhere other than the Ram dealer increases the risk that FCA or MOPAR will void the warranty or service contract.

Because of the price of fluid, disposable pan and filter, and time, I believe the price to have this done at a dealer nears $1K.

What is everyone else with the 8-speed and Lifetime Maxcare doing? I HATE the idea of not servicing the transmission ever, but that almost seems like the best option. When it finally dies, I can get it replaced for the price of my deductible, assuming the price of the transmission is not greater than the value of the truck at that time.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am following FCA’s recommendation and not touching it. I’d be willing to bet if there is any damage from changing the fluid, FCA will deny the claim. Even if it is a Ram dealership that did the work. You would then end up being it a fight with the dealership, and FCA would also put it on them.

They tell me it’s lifetime, if it isn’t lifetime, they will have to honor their word.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same dilemma, to pay a dealer to cover my butt on the lifetime or do it myself.

You could always buy the parts online at a discount and then pay the labor .

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s a good question. I guess since I hardly tow anything, and ain’t loadin’ the bed down all the time, I guess I’ll just follow that too. MaxCare buy me a new tranny........[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've already had my pan and fluid changed by the dealer. I have to think they use the oe pan and fluid so there's no way to deny coverage for changing it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've already had my pan and fluid changed by the dealer. I have to think they use the oe pan and fluid so there's no way to deny coverage for changing it.

Is your truck under the lifetime? How much did it end up costing and what was your dealer’s idea on the “lifetime” fill?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I’m not sure I believe this. You can pay a local dealer to do whatever you want, it doesn’t mean that FCA will honor the maxcare warranty. For example, you can bring in an 8” aftermarket lift and have the dealer install it, if FCA chooses, they can still deny coverage for breaking the contract.

In the end, FCA has to approve the maxcare claim once the dealer submits it, this is up to FCA, not the local dealer.

I’m not saying FCA would deny the claim, just that, if they want to, they can. Especially if they determine it was a mistake from the fluid change.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That’s a good question. I guess since I hardly tow anything, and ain’t loadin’ the bed down all the time, I guess I’ll just follow that too. MaxCare buy me a new tranny........emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOT

I think we end up paying deductable and fluid.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is your truck under the lifetime? How much did it end up costing and what was your dealer’s idea on the “lifetime” fill?

Oil pan seal failed in a big way so they had to replace the pan and fluid since most if it was on my garage floor so it was a warranty covered oil change, but no different than having an oil change done on it as far as parts and labor. I guess its still a lifetime fill now. Pretty hard to deny trans coverage for having it dealer serviced according to the heavy service schedule unless fca tries to fault the dealer, which seems unlikely. I only have 5yr 100000 coverage so if I do keep the truck I'll be doing the change again.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the lifetime MaxCare and my outlook is that so long as I follow all the recomended maintenance and have it done at the dealer, FCA will have a record and they will have no choice BUT to honor the warranty. I know I could have the service done elsewhere or do it myself, but then FCA doesn't have a record and there's no "proof" it was done correctly or, for that matter, even done at all. So rather than have to fight later on if something craps out, I'd rather have it done by them and know it will be covered.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have had a number of things done on my wifes '07 Pacifica under the added care lifetime and all I ever paid was deductable + tax and thats 1 deductable / visit, even with multiple unrelated repairs in that visit.

Thanks indebt.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I did not pick up the lifetime warranty. My power train warranty is 10y 100k miles. I'm now starting year 3 at 43k miles. I should hit 100k around year 5. Once I cross that threshold I will have the fluid changed; because I don't trust anything the lasts a "lifetime". I don't baby my truck. I actually drive it like I own it. I hope something fails while under warranty. I'll back off the throttle once the warranty expires. I'll be ecstatic to get 200k out of her. My goal is 250k. My only battle against buying a new RAM is sheer will power, as long as my rig continues to kick ass!

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It isn't lifetime if used towing/haul loads/etc.

Guess I’ll have to re-read my manual but where does it say that lifetime fill is only for people who don’t use their truck for a truck? Which doesn’t matter as far as I’m concerned because I’m definitely one of those that doesn’t use my truck as truck.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I’ll have to re-read my manual but where does it say that lifetime fill is only for people who don’t use their truck for a truck? Which doesn’t matter as far as I’m concerned because I’m definitely one of those that doesn’t use my truck as truck.

Ive never seen it, honestly. The only stipulation for heavy-ish use (towing, hauling) was for the SIX speed.

Pulling from the owners manual for my 2017:

"Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason."

The chart that shows maintenance per year and/or mileage only shows automatic trans fluid with "6 speed only" as a note. No reference to the 8 speed in any schedule.