Zone UCA's with Bilstein Strut lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffery S Pendley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone using this combo? Had the combo installed on my son's '18 today, Bils at 2.8. Caster is barely in spec and truck pulls to the left. Just checked Zone's web site and it doesn't recommend their UCA be used with the Bilstein lift. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check that the UCAs were installed on the correct sides. This just happened to me with Mevotechs and they couldnt get caster in spec.

A ton of people are using the Zone UCAs with the Bils .

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone using this combo? Had the combo installed on my son's '18 today, Bils at 2.8. Caster is barely in spec and truck pulls to the left. Just checked Zone's web site and it doesn't recommend their UCA be used with the Bilstein lift. Any thoughts?
Where did you see not recommended with Bilstein lift ?
This is what Zone list in their features and description

Featured Technology & Benefits
  • Fully welded, heavy duty upper control arms that dwarf the factory arms.
  • CNC-machined bushing and ball joint cups for precise fitment
  • OE rubber bushings and greasable factory style ball joints for quiet, reliable, and low maintenance operation.
  • Heavy Duty ball joint acheives maximum control arm range of motion
  • Ball joint positioning adjusted compared to stock arms to keep it in a neutral position with 2-3" of lift.
  • Replaceable ball joints - replacements are readily available from most auto parts stores when needed many miles down the road.
  • Fixes ball joint binding issue commonly known to occur on these models with spacer-only type leveling kits that use the factory UCAs
  • Fully assembled right out of the box
  • Will work with Zone Offroad 6" suspension system
  • Detailed, easy to follow installation instructions included
  • Powder-coated finish
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
Description

"The issue with most level kits for the newer Rams results from the stock upper ball joints being maxed out prior to the suspension fully drooping out when lifted more than 1" above stock. The ball joints are not designed for the extra strain when the suspension is bound up leading to premature ball joint failure.

These new heavy duty UCAs are engineered to correct this issue by repositioning the ball joint to allow a full range of motion when used with most leveling kit and suspension lifts.These arms dwarf the factory units and are built from 1/8" steel, boxed and fully welded with CNC-machined bushing and ball joint cups. The arms feature a durable textured black finish and come fully assembled right out of the box with OE durometer rubber bushings for quiet, reliable function. OE-style heavy duty greasable ball joints are utilized for a long service free operation and superior corrosion resistance to uniball style control arms.

Upgrade your late model lifted or leveled Ram 1500 with this set of head duty upper control arms.

These UCAs will work with the Zone Offroad 6" suspension system for the 06-17 Ram 1500 models."

Wayne43

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im running zone uppers with bilsteins at 2.8 and a rough country 6 and all is good. Rides as good as it can.

OP
OP
J

Jeffery S Pendley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you see not recommended with Bilstein lift ?
This is what Zone list in their features and description

Featured Technology & Benefits
  • Fully welded, heavy duty upper control arms that dwarf the factory arms.
  • CNC-machined bushing and ball joint cups for precise fitment
  • OE rubber bushings and greasable factory style ball joints for quiet, reliable, and low maintenance operation.
  • Heavy Duty ball joint acheives maximum control arm range of motion
  • Ball joint positioning adjusted compared to stock arms to keep it in a neutral position with 2-3" of lift.
  • Replaceable ball joints - replacements are readily available from most auto parts stores when needed many miles down the road.
  • Fixes ball joint binding issue commonly known to occur on these models with spacer-only type leveling kits that use the factory UCAs
  • Fully assembled right out of the box
  • Will work with Zone Offroad 6" suspension system
  • Detailed, easy to follow installation instructions included
  • Powder-coated finish
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
Description

"The issue with most level kits for the newer Rams results from the stock upper ball joints being maxed out prior to the suspension fully drooping out when lifted more than 1" above stock. The ball joints are not designed for the extra strain when the suspension is bound up leading to premature ball joint failure.

These new heavy duty UCAs are engineered to correct this issue by repositioning the ball joint to allow a full range of motion when used with most leveling kit and suspension lifts.These arms dwarf the factory units and are built from 1/8" steel, boxed and fully welded with CNC-machined bushing and ball joint cups. The arms feature a durable textured black finish and come fully assembled right out of the box with OE durometer rubber bushings for quiet, reliable function. OE-style heavy duty greasable ball joints are utilized for a long service free operation and superior corrosion resistance to uniball style control arms.

Upgrade your late model lifted or leveled Ram 1500 with this set of head duty upper control arms.

These UCAs will work with the Zone Offroad 6" suspension system for the 06-17 Ram 1500 models."

zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-2in-suspension-lift-kit-ram/d49
Look under the heading "Important Notes."

OP
OP
J

Jeffery S Pendley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check that the UCAs were installed on the correct sides. This just happened to me with Mevotechs and they couldnt get caster in spec.

A ton of people are using the Zone UCAs with the Bils .

I actually read about your situation and went outside to check. Zones were properly installed. Talked to the installer again and he wants me to put a couple 100 miles on it and bring it back to check the alignment again. Hopefully they spec better this time. Not really sure what to do if they don't. Truck looks wicked and rides better, just pulls to the left. Might try a different alignment shop.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually read about your situation and went outside to check. Zones were properly installed. Talked to the installer again and he wants me to put a couple 100 miles on it and bring it back to check the alignment again. Hopefully they spec better this time. Not really sure what to do if they don't. Truck looks wicked and rides better, just pulls to the left. Might try a different alignment shop.

What are your alignment specs anyway? The vehicle will pull to the side of less caster and will pull to the side of more camber. It's not the amount that would cause a pull but left and right being different that causes the pull. I'd be curious to see the alignment printout.

OP
OP
J

Jeffery S Pendley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are your alignment specs anyway? The vehicle will pull to the side of less caster and will pull to the side of more camber. It's not the amount that would cause a pull but left and right being different that causes the pull. I'd be curious to see the alignment printout.

Left Front Camber is 0.3, Caster is 4.0, Toe is 0.06.
Right Front Camber is 0.1, Caster is 4.2, Toe is 0.09.
Left Rear Camber is -0.3, Toe is 0.16.
Right Rear Camber is 0.0, Toe is 0.13.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeffery S Pendley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thrust angle is 0.01. Added Bilstein 1" springs and shocks in the rear also. New 295/65/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20x9 Fuel Triton wheels. Everything else is stock. Scheduled a new alignment for 1:00 today. Hopefully they can figure it out. If not, I'll take it to another shop. At this point I'm bumfuzzled because everything is in spec, but there's a definite left pull that gets worse the faster you go.

Last edited:

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It seems just last week that I was reading a thread about someone installing new upper and lower A-Arms with mild lift and new shocks and not running straight. I don't remember if it was on this or another Dodge or Cummins site. Someone else in the thread suggested they make sure they had the new A-Arms on the correct sides of the axle. Turned out they were installed on the wrong sides.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems just last week that I was reading a thread about someone installing new upper and lower A-Arms with mild lift and new shocks and not running straight. I don't remember if it was on this or another Dodge or Cummins site. Someone else in the thread suggested they make sure they had the new A-Arms on the correct sides of the axle. Turned out they were installed on the wrong sides.

That was me , I asked OP to check this out and he said they were properly installed

OP
OP
J

Jeffery S Pendley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took my son's Ram to a new shop. Lower control arms were still loose from the original shop installing the lift. Tightened up the lowers and the alignment is all within spec and the left pull is gone. I'm finished with Center Street Custom and am now a patron of Shelby Wheel and Tire. Mike at Shelby diagnosed and fixed the problem in about 30 minutes. Center Street had the truck twice, didn't fix it and told me if I wanted to fix it I'd need to lower the truck.