Rockfored Fosgate DSR1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone used the RF DSR1? Looks like it will give RCA out and integrates with the Maestro so not to lose CAN BUS. $320 for all 3 items. thinking i might use this instead of AC LCi. Main thing i like is the ability to use your phone to program over Bluetooth.

Here is what Crutchfield is suggesting
Rockford Fosgate DSR1
iDatalink HRN-AR-CH2 Harness
Rockford Fosgate PLC2 Amp Remote Control

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575DSR1/Rockford-Fosgate-DSR1.html

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some of the online reviews do not look so good on it. I have an AC DQ-61. It was a little difficult to get it dialed in but it sounds great using the stock headunit line level outs. I did replace the door speakers as well.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered the DSR1 and plan on installing it in the next week or so. I will let you know how it goes.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:
I installed the DSR1 and the i-datalink Maestro aCH2 this past weekend. The wiring all matched up perfectly. I am having an issue with the DS1 though. No signal is coming out of the RCA's. I called Crutchfield over the weekend and they were unable to help since the unit is so new and told me I would need to call i-Data on Monday. This morning I spoke with i-Data and they could see I was syncing up the DSR1 and it was on the latest firmware and programed correctly. They did say the app shouldn't show "analog input" it should show digital and I would have to contact Rockford to troubleshoot that. I called Rockford and they said "analog input was correct" and gave me a couple of things to try when I get home tonight. So, we will see if I can get this thing working.
I realize the DSR1 is new to the market and there will be bugs. But having two companies involved does make it hard to troubleshoot. It feels like some finger pointing back and forth.
Also, the DSR1 is all plastic. The connectors can be really tough to get unplugged if you need to. I felt like I was going to break the dang thing having to take it in and out of the truck a few times over the weekend.
I think it will be a good idea to get a USB extension cable if you mount it by the factory amp. This will make it easier to upgrade the firmware later on. From what I've read and experienced I think firmware upgrades might be frequent.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One other thing for anyone tackling the DSR1. The status light blinking 6 times green and then going to solid white, then back to 6 green flashing is normal according to Rockford. Crutchfield said it should be solid white, i-Data said green flashing meant that it was connecting to the factory system ok but not putting out signal.
I still don't know which is correct, but I'm going to assume its Rockford for now.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on my professional experience - trust iDataLink... they have the best customer service in the industry. Never really dealt with Rockford, and Crutchfield is useless. They will just read the manual to you.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Do you have the Alpine stereo in your truck?

Curious to see how this works out for you. Was thinking of doing this to my wifes Jeep Renegade as she is already complaining about the Beats Audio in it.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I have everything working now. I probably have 3 full days into it. Allot of that was troubleshooting the DSR1. The DSR1 is pretty sweet. I have it feeding a Punch 1000X5. Installed Alpine R Type front and rear with the tweeters in the stock dash corner locations. I was worried the tweeters would be too bright but they are perfect. I did set them to the -2db setting on the crossovers. I also installed the JL stealthbox. It turned out even better than I had hoped.
I did end up having to install 500 ohm resistors on the input side of the DSR1 so the stock system would see a load. It wouldn't work without them. Bypassing the factory Alpine amp makes a world of difference.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
OP
KCaudill

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SDDAWG, great to hear you got it all working. mine in the mail as we speak. Black Friday deal. Where did you place the 500 ohm resister? input to speakers? (+) to (-)?

OP
OP
KCaudill

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thanks. Whats your thought on the crossover and the software for tuning? From what i understand its the same as the 3sixty3 software.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its actually pretty good. You can download the app and get a feel for it on its own. Just go to the app store and search for "Rockford Fosgate Perfect Tune".

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe they overlooked this when building the product. I imagine that lies on Rockford's hands rather than Maestro's.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So was this plug and play at the amp, or did you have to install it at the radio?

Plug and play at the amp. You unplug the amp and use the Maestro aR to interface the DSR1. The factory amp is no longer part of the system.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe they overlooked this when building the product. I imagine that lies on Rockford's hands rather than Maestro's.
This might be a difference on the 2018 Ram. I'm not sure you need the resistors on the 2017 and older.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This might be a difference on the 2018 Ram. I'm not sure you need the resistors on the 2017 and older.

You should - this is common problem for all newer Chrysler radios. It's sad because the competition includes load sensing.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I currently have a 2012 Ram R/T with the factory alpine. I ended up getting signal after the factory amp into a 3sixty.3. Would it be worth it to get this DSR1 to get better/ cleaner signal? Just curious on this.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have a 2012 Ram R/T with the factory alpine. I ended up getting signal after the factory amp into a 3sixty.3. Would it be worth it to get this DSR1 to get better/ cleaner signal? Just curious on this.

Are you happy with the sound now?