Rockfored Fosgate DSR1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wish I had time to go to the auto show. Spoke to my audio dealer and they have a truck there with the alpine system running the DSR1. Told me they tone down the chime frequencies through the EQ and everything sounds good including the sat. Radio, phone calls etc. They're going to do a full tune and set up for me once it's in. He figures it'll take about 4 hours to dial everything in with the right equipment so pretty extensive. Hopefully I'm happy with the results. Only part already in was my front speakers. You know you spent too much on front speakers when they come in a briefcase instead of a box lol. Still a month from doing the install, but I'm getting less nervous and a little more excited now.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
It is my understanding that for the Alpine folks, it replaces the amp. Then you can run your own equipment and it still is able to direct the signal where it should go (door chimes, NAV, and BT calling)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The signal that went to the alpine amp goes to the dsp instead and the alpine amp is no longer hooked up.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Wish I had time to go to the auto show. Spoke to my audio dealer and they have a truck there with the alpine system running the DSR1. Told me they tone down the chime frequencies through the EQ and everything sounds good including the sat. Radio, phone calls etc. They're going to do a full tune and set up for me once it's in. He figures it'll take about 4 hours to dial everything in with the right equipment so pretty extensive. Hopefully I'm happy with the results. Only part already in was my front speakers. You know you spent too much on front speakers when they come in a briefcase instead of a box lol. Still a month from doing the install, but I'm getting less nervous and a little more excited now.

Awesome !!!

guardiannite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodoge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So are the tweeters running off the 4 main door speakers? if not we will need several amps to power all the speakers in the truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
DSR1 has a programmable 8ch output. In my case 2 channels for midbass drivers in door, 2 for tweeters in dash, 2 for rear coax and the other 2 mono to the dedicated subwoofer amp. I'm bridging 4 to 2 on my 8008 to give me really solid front mid bass and running the othe 4 channels for front tweeters and rear coax. When I get time and it is all set up I'll give a detailed review on the DSR after somebody who knows how to tune is gets their hands on it and I'm able to put it through its paces. I would run a pac4 and a dsp if I didn't have an alpine system because the DSR1 Is meant for a factory amplified system such as the alpine. Wait for it lol.

guardiannite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodoge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the DSR1 separates each ch in the truck, and I believe each speaker has it own ch, so we will need a 5ch amp for the front, 4ch amp for the back and a mono amp for the sub. IF we want to use the DSR1 we will need to also buy 2-3 amps so we can power each speaker and not use the factory amp

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm seeing better reviews of the pac4, but it has fewer outputs. One of the members is running a masconi dsp and likes it. Have to think someone has a fully sorted dsp system where everything works well. I just haven't heard one. The update for the DSR1 looks like it includes a remedy for the tones and amp popping. Not sure about phone call and radio quality though.

That might have been me. The PAC unit is not a DSP, it’s an interface that gives you a clean, flat, audio signal that will then feed a DSP. All the DSP needs (ideally) is front, rear, and sub signals going into it. That is what the PAC gives you.

Where you need more outputs is going FROM the DSP to the amps. The reason to use a DSP is to get more control of each speaker. The only way that works is if each speaker has its own amplifier channel. That’s where the higher number of outputs comes in.

My Mosconi DSP has 8 inputs and 12 outputs. The extra inputs are for additional signal sources (Hi Res Players, portable DVDs, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think I understand how all this works now. It's a little odd to me that the DSR1 only has 8 outputs given that it was made primarily for the multi channel amplified system and some people would prefer to run all the speakers. Doing it as a 10 channel would require passive crossovers and resistors and be much harder to tune with it. I'm dropping the centre and the rear roof speakers so it'll be 7 channels and I'm running 7 channels of amplifiers. I wasn't clear on whether the mosconi needed something like the Pac interface or it just needed a harness adapter so thanks for clearing that up. If I was going to run the mosconi I'd probably do tweeter pods in the C-pillar and 3 mids in the dash and go full 12 channel. Just add another 4 channel amp and a small mono for the front centre or a 5 channel with the presumably sub channel set way, way down. Still might happen, but let's see how the 7 channel sounds first.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful just adding additional speakers. More is not always better. I ended up with the 12 channel version because I needed 9 channels (3 way front, rear fill, sub) and my Bit One DSP only had 8. That was one very expensive channel. LOL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Be careful just adding additional speakers. More is not always better. I ended up with the 12 channel version because I needed 9 channels (3 way front, rear fill, sub) and my Bit One DSP only had 8. That was one very expensive channel. LOL
I've noticed. As long as the 7 sounds good and I think it will I'll leave it alone. I was considering adding a pair of BLAM FR80 in the dash since they match into my BLAM 165 MULTIX as I thought it would bring the staging up nicely, but 2 more channels between the speakers, extra amp and larger DSP added up really fast, but once you get past 9 channel the difference to add a couple more isn't too bad.

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered one for my 2019 Bighorn. Has anyone else upgraded the sound in a 2019?

I Plan to run a passive 3 way setup in the front (Hybrid Audio, Unity). I have the 6.5 and tweeter from my Tacoma build that I removed, but now they offer a 3.5 with crossover that blends well. I hope the 3.5 will fit in the dash, I think it will. I'll stick the tweeter in the sail. Distance wise, I think the door 6.5s and the Dash are nearly the same, so hoping the timing will work in a passive setup. Tweeters will be a bit closer... will have to see. There is a chance I'll have to move that onto a separate channel so I can set timing. I've heard timing isn't so critical with Tweeters...

My question, even though the 6.5 and tweeter are on the same channel from the DSR1, I can change the levels of the tweeter level by adjusting the output levels for the tweeter frequencies correct on that one channel? The DSR1 looks like it does that, but I really just know enough about all this to be a little dangerous rather than effective.

I'm also a bit confused about the ohm resistors needed. I knew I'd need this if I tapped the speaker wires coming out of the factory amp, took them to line level, then amplified them. But I thought the DSR1 removed the need for those. If I remove the factory amp, plug the digital signal from the deck to the DSR1, then form there using RCA preamp to my amp, then to my speakers... where do the resistors go in that line?

Thanks for any suggestions!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DSR1 is not confirmed to work on 2019 yet. However, please let us know if it does. As far as I know, no one has taken the radio out. I found a guide for door panels and posted in the 5th Gen section, but we need some real pictures for door panels, radio, and dash. If use the DSR1 you do not need resistors.

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not removing the radio, sticking with factory (which is why I ended up getting a DSR1). I spoke with the crew at Maestro and they said it will work with the 2019s now. I'll let you know....

Cool, that's what I thought about the resistors. I thought I saw a post earlier where somebody did use them with the DSR1.

I've got a few pics. I have the Quad standard stereo and think I can actually fit a narrow thin mount sub in the back. Have the cheap pioneer box on order that's under 5" thick. Without the Torque Battery back there, I think it just might barely fit. I haven't decided if I'll mount the amp and crossovers on the other side in the back, or go under the seats.

One thing, I saw in a demo there was an option for a center speaker. My truck doesn't have one from the factor but I'd love to add one if I can fit it in there. Does this mix it in pretty well, pulling from right and left?

20180715_182316729_iOS.jpg

20180715_182319829_iOS.jpg

20180715_182326436_iOS.jpg

20180715_182541871_iOS.jpg

20180718_000819156_iOS-001.jpg

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I am not a fan of center channels especially when running active with a DSP. I can obtain a very apparent center image that is nice and high (around rear-view mirror) while having tons of stage width, past the side mirrors. However, every system that I have listened to that has incorperated a center channel/speaker, has suffered in the width department. Im not saying it is impossible to have great stage width with a center channel...im just saying it makes things a bit more difficult when tuning, and the center channel can become very apparent and localized...I like my stage to be very transparent...kinda where listeners search for the speaker locations

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just ordered one for my 2019 Bighorn. Has anyone else upgraded the sound in a 2019?

I Plan to run a passive 3 way setup in the front (Hybrid Audio, Unity). I have the 6.5 and tweeter from my Tacoma build that I removed, but now they offer a 3.5 with crossover that blends well. I hope the 3.5 will fit in the dash, I think it will. I'll stick the tweeter in the sail. Distance wise, I think the door 6.5s and the Dash are nearly the same, so hoping the timing will work in a passive setup. Tweeters will be a bit closer... will have to see. There is a chance I'll have to move that onto a separate channel so I can set timing. I've heard timing isn't so critical with Tweeters...

My question, even though the 6.5 and tweeter are on the same channel from the DSR1, I can change the levels of the tweeter level by adjusting the output levels for the tweeter frequencies correct on that one channel? The DSR1 looks like it does that, but I really just know enough about all this to be a little dangerous rather than effective.

I'm also a bit confused about the ohm resistors needed. I knew I'd need this if I tapped the speaker wires coming out of the factory amp, took them to line level, then amplified them. But I thought the DSR1 removed the need for those. If I remove the factory amp, plug the digital signal from the deck to the DSR1, then form there using RCA preamp to my amp, then to my speakers... where do the resistors go in that line?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I’m a little confused about why you would go with a DSP and then run your speakers passively? Unless you plan to go active in the future.

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need the DSR1 to keep my factory radio and have imaging abilities at least between right/left and the rear speakers. I may break out the 3.5s in the dash and run them off the DSP rather than as 3 ways... just need another amp if I go that route (that has been on my mind). The 6.5's and Tweeter package I bought have a great crossover that worked well in my Tacoma so I'll at least give that a chance in the Ram.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews on the center channel. Some very pro, others not so sold... I hear the benefit is an overall imaging for all listeners in the car but perhaps at the cost of ideal driver settings. Since I am usually alone in the vehicle, maybe a center isn't the way to go. Still thinking.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Hybrid Audio three way components should sound great. I would run those all active from the DSR1. That way you take full advantage of the tuning capabilities.

You haven’t mentioned (or I missed it), does your truck have the factory Alpine system? Can I suggest that you start a new thread on your build to keep everything in one place?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Curious to see if the box will fit

My 2015 I could not find a box that would fit behind the seat, ended up having to mod the factory box