“Aftermarket” Preformance Torque Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering what types of “aftermarket” Preformance torque converters are good and the ones that are basically OEM replacements?
Need to know what type of language this tranny shop is talking when I go there Friday. Appears they may have not have installed a Preformance torque converter and just a regular aftermarket OEM type. This was the culprit the blew in early Feb after their first install in mid Jan. Now says the truck can’t run the Diablosport T2 canned tunes or the Hemifever custom tune as they all cause tranny to jump in and out of gear per his test drive after new torque converter installed.
I have tons of questions for this shop come Friday. I may even go as far as having my own mechanic Rios this thing apart and see what the hell was done for Preformance vs OEM replacement parts.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Get with Matt@maoesperformance
@hemi450
On here he's got a 10 sec street truck and can tell you all about what you'd need. He's also a preferred vendor here and only sells what he's proven to work best in our trucks.
A super nice guy that goes way beyond customer service. I've seen him quit what hes had going on in his truck to go help another member get his truck dialed in.

Blue Mule

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I wish I could or had done this way before my trans blew up! The work has already been done and I’m just seeking answers as I’m heading to the shop on Friday and going to find out if they in fact put in the Preformance parts as they said they have. To note, this is between two shops that are the same band and have the same owner. First shop done the work that I had requested be done which included a Preformance overhaul for my exact truck setup with DS and HF tuning consisting of torque converter/valve body/trans plates/ larger aftermarket cooler be installed. I was informed they were. First trip roughly 200km, the torque converter blew. 2nd shop has my truck and indicated the tuner and custom
Tune is making truck in and out of gear and replaced the torque converter. I followed up with first shop Wednesday and they in fact told me yes we installed all Preformance parts for your exact setup. So I’m
Taking this info to the owner of both shops as he the one told me the truck was not shifting right with tuner and custom tune, did however shift right back to stock.
Moes, definitely would have gone that way if the disruption was different. Truck blew in the city the first shop is located and had no choice, over 600 kms from home. Just seeing what TCs are out there so I’ll have a name to go by. Shop didn’t provide any details into names of the parts installed. On invoice just said Trans overhaul and price charged.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
O I'd be pissed if the parts weren't individually listed on the invoice.
Hit Matt up anyway send him a pm and he can give you the names and details. Were both good friends with @hemifever

Blue Mule

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been running them for year and a half and just now getting around to changing the gears out. Trans been giving me issues for the last 3 years after a body lift stretched out my cooler lines. I know if I’m pushing the truck hard and harder, the trans going to fail, but after a 2 hour drive from the shop where the new torque converter was done, goes? I think not!
Ive has these 37’s with my trans on its way out and still lasted a year and a half. Pretty sure a new Preformance trans could last 2 hours on highway with normal driving.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Pretty sure a new Preformance trans could last 2 hours on highway with normal driving.

Definitely.......hope you get trans resolved

Most go the with the Edge converters......Jay Greene suggested CircleD......said they had a slight advantage......I went with CircleD & it works great.
They recommend 3000 stall..... 2800 if towing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing, this is a transmission shop! I let them
Know everything that is currently on the truck and insisted Preformance parts be swapped out to help me with my setup. I was informed this was all done and installed and everything was working well, yet TC still went. Hmmmmm.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Damn if convertor went it probably spewed its guts in the trans.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are actually planning to change the gears in the near future I would go with a 2800 stall. If you are not going to do a gear swap I would go with a 3000-3200 stall converter.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe "WildOne" could give you some advice on a good shop to use up in Canada, if it's not too late to get a "second opinion". He is very knowledgable about performance shops in Canada.
Jay

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have already got the trans rebuilt by this shop. First payment comes out this month. Sucks but I’ll getter figured out tomorrow on what was actually done with paper work. I’ll follow up tomorrow night when I get back home.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
****, first trans shop is scrapping for part numbers and through the torque converter to a shop in Toronto that rebuilds them. Said they overhaul with high friction plates and better than OEM. Stated this was all they could do to beef up the torque converter. Stall speed stayed the same as stock. I explained I wanted all “Preformance parts” listed with part numbers and sent to me including aftermarket cooler. Guy sounded like he was scratching for info and asked me to hold as he had to switch phones. Sounded like I was on speaker or another line was added. No doubt as he probably had the owner on the other line. I’ll be speaking with the owner tomorrow. Funny they would rebuild the whole transmission in house and send out the torque converter to another shop that’s in question.
Well he sending me an email with all parts and numbers as requested. I should have that by tomorrow when I return home and can update what part numbers they installed.
What he says goes as follows:
All high energy plates inside transmission, high energy plates inside torque converter,
Ezee cool aftermarket cooler.
Valve body holes where bored out, didn’t say anything else about valve body.

I’ll post my invoice and email once I receive the email of Preformance parts from
Shop. I will also see about getting a copy of the parts replaced in Torque converter from the second shop tomorrow. They damn sure better have cleaned that tranny up with all that **** going in from the TC.
Sounded like he was caught off guard with my questioning.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe "WildOne" could give you some advice on a good shop to use up in Canada, if it's not too late to get a "second opinion". He is very knowledgable about performance shops in Canada.
Jay

He's way across the country from me Jay,lol. Lyle have you considered swapping the RFE for something a little better.The GM Turbo 400 or 4L80 swap is getting to be a fairly common swap these days.Kurtis has a good write up on his 4L80 swap here.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-ram-gm-transmission-4l80e-swap.112665/

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's way across the country from me Jay,lol. Lyle have you considered swapping the RFE for something a little better.The GM Turbo 400 or 4L80 swap is getting to be a fairly common swap these days.Kurtis has a good write up on his 4L80 swap here.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-ram-gm-transmission-4l80e-swap.112665/
Same, I know jack all about these trannys! I wish I could have been planning his to happen as it would have been so much easier. I’m really considering driving the **** out of this trans as it’s under warranty for a year or 20,000 kms. I don’t drive around that often with my truck and now I reside in an isolated community with no paved roads or stop lights lol.
I’ll look into these transmissions you have mentioned and talk with my shop here back home about it.