1120 Mile Round Trip for Vacation with the Denali 289RK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Took my family from Charlotte, NC to Destin, FL for a week vacation to Camp Gulf (great RV park btw). About 560 mile each way. With an average speed of 56mph going down we got 8.6mpg on the return trip we got 9.4mpg at 53mph average. Not bad considering it was a lot of stop and go especially in Atlanta and through towns along the way. The trip was uneventful the truck towed great. The scariest part for me is getting gas. It always freaks me out deciding how to get in and out of stations although that also ends up uneventful, its just my paranoia :)

I will upload a pic of us at a gas station soon :)

I am leaving out the axle weights due to the towing police on here but I will say it was 4 average adults and gear towing the Denali 289RK and we were within legal towing weights.

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Denali_at_FuelUp_zpsgduavucp.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip!

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
We had a blast. I love the emerald water. Yes there is clearer waters around the world and in the USA but compared to the Atlantic coast it is nice. If anyone ever gets to Destin, FL I recommend;

Kenny D's Beach Bar and Grill
McGuires Irish Pub

In Destin itself the traffic was horrible though. They are working on widening Hwy 98 so when it is finished it should be better.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We're going to the Navarre beach campground in a couple of weeks. It'll be our first trip in the new to us truck and with the new camper. Next time you go to Destin your should try Dewy Destin. Awesome food and right next to the water where you can walk through and see the days catch coming in

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
FYI... Oil life read 60% when we left. It currently reads 43%, this does include driving around in traffic while there (no trailer obviously).

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
nice trailer! :popcorn:Waiting for the weight police to show up:pp:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Glad you had a good and safe trip. Beautiful rig too! What is the overall length and did you have any sway on the highway when the big boys passed? I get just a touch of push on the wheel when they pass me but nothing major. Good on you for running safe, trailer tire friendly speeds also.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Glad you had a good and safe trip. Beautiful rig too! What is the overall length and did you have any sway on the highway when the big boys passed? I get just a touch of push on the wheel when they pass me but nothing major. Good on you for running safe, trailer tire friendly speeds also.
Safe speeds. Man this weekend I saw a 1/2 ton tundra pulling a 24’tt going about 75-80. I was doing 70 when he passed me that tt just swaying all over the place. Then later was a f150 going 80 with a pop up single axle. Man that thing was bouncing off the ground and swinging all over the road. I’m far less. But he was legal weights I guess :biggun: I’d rather see somebody overweight which I have taking it nice and slow vs seeing any of them light weight loaded down trailers flying down the road.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Safe speeds. Man this weekend I saw a 1/2 ton tundra pulling a 24’tt going about 75-80. I was doing 70 when he passed me that tt just swaying all over the place. Then later was a f150 going 80 with a pop up single axle. Man that thing was bouncing off the ground and swinging all over the road. I’m far less. But he was legal weights I guess :biggun: I’d rather see somebody overweight which I have taking it nice and slow vs seeing any of them light weight loaded down trailers flying down the road.

No question! Agree 100%!

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
The TT is ~33.6' per Dutchmen. I got a little bounce on the crappy uneven concrete interstate for a few miles but nothing major. Cars bounce on the same section. The only thing that happens when a big rig passes is I get sucked in a little bit but nothing major. On the way down I got behind a car carrier rig that made me sway a bit but again, nothing major. If you watch your mirrors and pay attention to the vehicles around you, you can usually anticipate counteracting for trucks passing.

I saw some TTs flying past me also. Dude in the 5th wheel had to be doing 80+ and the F150 pulling a smaller TT was close to that. I guess people got stuff to do and don't have time for going slow. I just get in the right lane and take it easy. It is a lot less stressful anyway just noodling along, and I bet I get there only marginally slower due to red lights and traffic jams.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The TT is ~33.6' per Dutchmen. I got a little bounce on the crappy uneven concrete interstate for a few miles but nothing major. Cars bounce on the same section. The only thing that happens when a big rig passes is I get sucked in a little bit but nothing major. On the way down I got behind a car carrier rig that made me sway a bit but again, nothing major. If you watch your mirrors and pay attention to the vehicles around you, you can usually anticipate counteracting for trucks passing.

I saw some TTs flying past me also. Dude in the 5th wheel had to be doing 80+ and the F150 pulling a smaller TT was close to that. I guess people got stuff to do and don't have time for going slow. I just get in the right lane and take it easy. It is a lot less stressful anyway just noodling along, and I bet I get there only marginally slower due to red lights and traffic jams.
I don’t know why they get in such a rush. I don’t tow a tt or fifth wheel. My trailer are gooseneck and im hauling cattle or goats. So I really don’t need to rush. I back my stops up really far and leave BIG gap between me and others. Which almost ends up with a car popping in right in front of my nose :Nonono:

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think they're hurry is due to the fact they either don't know what can happen or they believe it won't happen to them. Either way it's a big risk to take with several other peoples lives

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I will say that noone with a truck 1500, 2500 or 3500 should tow a trailer this large (or really any size) without the utmost respect for the amount of weight/mass that is moving at highway speeds, or any speed for that matter.

Things can get ugly really fast.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
FF, both your last 2 posts are excellent. You sure have the right attitude and its the same as mine. I'd share the road with you any day.

Your right. I go slow, take my time and just let everyone pass me by. It's a lot less stressful that way.

I see way too many people blowing by me doing 75+ mph with no wdh , no sway control. An accident waiting to happen