'19 PowerWagon - New Rear Axle?? - Service Axle Locker System Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AH-64MTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a new 2022 Power Wagon the other day. I live in Maine, my driveway is snowy and icy, and of tye 4 or 5 times I tried to use the rear locker, I get a "service differential locker system" message (or something similar to that). It has never worked when I turned it on at a dead stop, and the truck only has 160 miles on it. Yes, 160!!!!
Ok, so, I took it to the dealership today for troubleshooting, and they said that since both differentials are failing to lock, "it must be the module", and have ordered a new one and made an appointment for me to return in 10 days. Hope they're right.

Having said that, I was an Apache Test Pilot, responsible for the maintenance, inspection, and test flights prior to issuing the acft to "regular pilots", for 700 acft when we left Iraq in 2010. I wouldn't make such an assumption until I shot every wire, checked for signals, checked both actuators, etc. But, lives depended on it then, and they don't now.

Fingers crossed. I'll update after some corrective action is performed.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so, I took it to the dealership today for troubleshooting, and they said that since both differentials are failing to lock, "it must be the module", and have ordered a new one and made an appointment for me to return in 10 days. Hope they're right.

Having said that, I was an Apache Test Pilot, responsible for the maintenance, inspection, and test flights prior to issuing the acft to "regular pilots", for 700 acft when we left Iraq in 2010. I wouldn't make such an assumption until I shot every wire, checked for signals, checked both actuators, etc. But, lives depended on it then, and they don't now.

Fingers crossed. I'll update after some corrective action is performed.
Agree with you completely on this....that is a pretty big assumption based on very little test data. But hey, at least if it's under warranty you are not paying for it! If I was the tech working on it I would at least test the basics like power, grounds, and control signals. Make sure the module was actually getting a signal to it saying to shift, and making sure it had power and ground going to it. After verifying it was getting those input signals test and make sure it it outputting signals to the lockers. I'm by absolutely no means an ASE certified mechanic but those are very, very basic first steps to trouble-shooting (and of course not talking about the poster, but stating that you would hope a dealer tech would be doing that).

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
most dealer techs arent familiar with powerwagons and have very little diagnosing skills which makes matters worse. usually all they do is unload the parts cannon

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
most dealer techs arent familiar with powerwagons and have very little diagnosing skills which makes matters worse. usually all they do is unload the parts cannon
I completely agree, though I will make a comment that the basic entry level trouble-shooting I mention isn't specific to PW's by any means and is applicable to any electronic module or sensor....but you would probably need to spend at least a minute or two looking at the factory service manual. Speaking of service manuals, any halfway decent dealership should have the full set of these and they basically hold your hand as they walk you through basic trouble-shooting procedures for just about any possible issue. There is a diagnostic tree you walk through for literally every single code that can be set (check engine light, ABS light, locker errors, etc....). It at least helps narrow down where the problem is coming from.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I completely agree, though I will make a comment that the basic entry level trouble-shooting I mention isn't specific to PW's by any means and is applicable to any electronic module or sensor....but you would probably need to spend at least a minute or two looking at the factory service manual. Speaking of service manuals, any halfway decent dealership should have the full set of these and they basically hold your hand as they walk you through basic trouble-shooting procedures for just about any possible issue. There is a diagnostic tree you walk through for literally every single code that can be set (check engine light, ABS light, locker errors, etc....). It at least helps narrow down where the problem is coming from.

the op said he got the service 4x4 message. dealer wants to change full axle assembly. you know why ? because they cant figure out whats wrong. or they did figure it out but requires pulling the gears and they have no confidence in getting it back together correctly.
ive seen numerous service 4x4 threads and question if its something much simpler than the actuator which is generally what a dealer first points the finger at

AH-64MTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. Update. After waiting 10 days for an appt for them to replace the "differential lock module", they called to say the part is backordered and made a new appt for me for next week.

Just a reminder, I've had the truck, brand new, for 3 weeks now, the lockers have never worked, and the part is backordered.

I'm not anticipating a timely and accurate repair process.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Uhhhh, did you try it in 4-Lo? I have had Three PW's now and all only allowed locker engagement in 4-Lo. No 4-Hi and absolutely not in 2WD.

Trucks all had really outstanding mechanical Limited Slip Rear ends and thus never needed in 2wd regardless. Of course, with all the nannies, it also unlocks the diffs and re-attaches the Front Swaybar at anything over 19 mph anyway.

That is why a Nanny-Defeating device is necessary as a #1 mod. Though I am waiting for my powertrain warranty to expire before going all out with the modding.

*This response is for the new truck owner, not the OP with an Error Code. I hate to see anyone frustrated or abandoning their amazing vehicle due to a simple lack of familiarity with the absolutely stupid factory "Liability Limiting" programs that absolutely cripple fully capable vehicles.

FYI, I also have spent many hours informing people on the beach to shut off the Traction Control in their Jeep Wranglers, and many other modern cars. A certain amount of wheel spin is needed in Sand, Mud, Snow and patches of Ice. My own wife was stuck in a parking lot on damn near level ground when she parked on an Icy patch. Damn thing would just cut throttle with T/C activating!

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Perhaps someone should make a Thread or make a Sticky Post at the top to inform all Power Wagon and Wrangler Rubicon owners:

Whenever going into 4WD; At minimum, turn off the Traction Control. Or BETTER YET, depress the T/C button and HOLD IT DOWN for like 5 seconds to shut down the entire Stability Control and fully defeat the over anxious Traction Control system. And remember, you will have to re-disable it EVERY time you switch from 2WD/4WD-Hi and 4WD-Lo AND/OR turn off the vehicle. It defaults back to the most limited configuration with every Shut Down or Gear Selection!

Your vehicle will be a whole new beast with capabilities beyond your wildest dreams!

It completely amazes me at how few people are aware of this feature, and become completely frustrated and often "Give Up" on a perfectly capable vehicle.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Perhaps someone should make a Thread or make a Sticky Post at the top to inform all Power Wagon and Wrangler Rubicon owners:

Whenever going into 4WD; At minimum, turn off the Traction Control. Or BETTER YET, depress the T/C button and HOLD IT DOWN for like 5 seconds to shut down the entire Stability Control and fully defeat the over anxious Traction Control system. And remember, you will have to re-disable it EVERY time you switch from 2WD/4WD-Hi and 4WD-Lo AND/OR turn off the vehicle. It defaults back to the most limited configuration with every Shut Down or Gear Selection!

Your vehicle will be a whole new beast with capabilities beyond your wildest dreams!

It completely amazes me at how few people are aware of this feature, and become completely frustrated and often "Give Up" on a perfectly capable vehicle.
easier to pull abs fuse and kill it alllllll dead dead dead! Or able bypass but I don’t think they’re out for 2019+

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
True. I don't think AH-64MTP would want to be forced to do that. Especially with such an nice, new, EXPENSIVE truck. And I would rather retain all of the functions, and just make them 'selectable' on the fly, from the cab. I will just wait for all of the warranty to expire, then do the Able Bypass install.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It's amazing how many people don't even know you have to shift a vehicle into 4wd, or know how. I've seen numerous people over the years get "stuck" while in 2wd and need assistance to get out and never shift the vehicle into 4wd. That's why most new SUV's and Crossovers are full-time 4wd with no interaction needed to get the traction benefit of 4wd.