2.75-3" front 2.5 coilover options?

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back again seeking advice on my next suspension upgrade route...

I'm currently on Bilstein's at 2.8. They are great for street use and mild off-roading. However I am getting to a point where I'm needing more for my off-road needs. I would love to keep the 2.75-3" front lift range. Is there anything on the market in a 2.5 shock that would fit this need?

Thanks!

Current stance now with Bils @ 2.8 and superlift sl-140 2" lift coils. I have about 800-900 lbs in the back here.

IMG_8797.jpg

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemiFever 5.7
Back again seeking advice on my next suspension upgrade route...

I'm currently on Bilstein's at 2.8. They are great for street use and mild off-roading. However I am getting to a point where I'm needing more for my off-road needs. I would love to keep the 2.75-3" front lift range. Is there anything on the market in a 2.5 shock that would fit this need?

Thanks!

Current stance now with Bils @ 2.8 and superlift sl-140 2" lift coils. I have about 800-900 lbs in the back here.

View attachment 472216
If you’re off-roading move to a 2.5 coil over

OP
OP
j-b

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you’re off-roading move to a 2.5 coil over
Out of King, Fox, Icon. Any of those go up to 2.75-3” of lift. It seems most they go up to is 2.5” of lift.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemiFever 5.7
Out of King, Fox, Icon. Any of those go up to 2.75-3” of lift. It seems most they go up to is 2.5” of lift.
Most are low. Fox are 2” icon I think is 2” or lower king is the highest at 2 1/2” but to net 3” you could do the 1/2” spacer on the top.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm really looking for a strut that gives me 2 and 53/128ths but nobody makes that size :(

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As @Quick_Shifter indicated make the switch the 2.5 race CO's and you'll never look back again. Regardless max lift height, contact the manufacturers and ask them directly. The consensus is typically no more than 2.5" lift but they all know their max limits for best ride.

Accutune did my Kings shocks (Tune, Revalve, new shock pistons on the rear, etc) so i'll trust them as they know my shock guts and i put mine at 2.75" with still room to go if i only had more spring rate , I have the King 14" x 500lbs/inch springs and i'm pretty much maxed out at 2.75" lift with the weight i have and i only have 3 more threads left to go. I added 14 turns more total compared to how they came stock because the steel bumper, winch rocks sliders etc. 500lbs is the softest spring you can get with CO's, max is either 650 or 700lbs depending on manufacturer. Next time i get my CO's out for maintenance i'll ask Acctune to change the springs for me and go 550 or 600lbs springs whatever they recommend based on my truck weight.

Once you get your 2.5 CO's, (hint, hint) , you can use this link to measure what you have and it'll give you an idea how high you can go, but again, contact the manufacturer if you want to know better.

The King OE assembly measures 22.5" fully extended, Fox also measure 22.5", Icon measure 22.75"
Most shock manufactures can tell you more or less how much preload you can add before they say don't add more.
Icon says no more of 1.5" showing up above the collar, King mentions to keep at least 1" wheel drop out from ride height. This is what it came with my Kings.

51528242727_abf1e60eae_h.jpg2021-09-28_04-21-36 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I went with what Accutune recommended since they did them for me. They said no more than 21" of total shock at ride height. So i went up until the the COs at ride height measure 21". Like i said i have 3 more threads left to go per side before i can't turn the adjusters anymore to go up :), so that's an extra 1/2" right there unfortunatelly doing so will leave very little droop in the shock shaft for the CO's to operate optimally.

[email protected]

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most will only get you 2.5" of lift but the little bit of lift lost vs the huge performance gain makes it worth while for sure. There is no comparison going from bils to 2.5 coil overs.

We offer Icon, Fox, King, and more. Let us know if we can help and offer a quote

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Unless you are lifting via actual drop brackets and longer spindles etc, 2.5" IS the most you would want to lift before you would be compromising the ratio of up vs down travel in your coilovers. With little droop available, you would negate the benefits of running high end shocks in the first place if you used more preload to get the extra lift. I'm now running Fox 2.5's with the DSC adjusters after running Bilstein's at 2.8" and I don't notice anything as far as the difference in lift goes. I believe my coilovers are factory set for a 2" lift from Fox.

Reactions: j-b