2 Post Lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I was lurking over at garagejournal while doing research on the the subject. Lots of options but I really want to hear from Ram owners. I am thinking about adding a 2 post lift for my Ram 1500 and my future 2500 (Tradesman PW package, most likely).

Anyone have one, and have feedback on its usefulness for our Rams? I have a little more than 12 ft clearance inside at the ridge. Prices look reasonable.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Had one at the shop at work. They're a bit more trouble to get the truck off the ground than a 4 post with the extra lift jacks so most shops go the 4 post route for better turn over, but the 2 posts allow better access. Great choice for home if you have the space.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't you need a pretty thick concrete pad for a two post lift? I thought I read somewhere it should be thicker than most home construction companies would normally pour. My brother did a bunch of research on them many years back and he ended up with a four post lift in his garage and I believe it was due to concrete pad requirements. I will have to ask him. The lift manufacturer should be able to tell you too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWL
OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Don't you need a pretty thick concrete pad for a two post lift? I thought I read somewhere it should be thicker than most home construction companies would normally pour. My brother did a bunch of research on them many years back and he ended up with a four post lift in his garage and I believe it was due to concrete pad requirements. I will have to ask him. The lift manufacturer should be able to tell you too.
Minimum 4" but 6" in recommended and the PSI needs to be to spec too. Yeah, I am leaning towards a 4 post too. The attachments these days (jacks, etc) make it more feasible and it is definitely safer than a 2 post!

Rowdy Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 inch min. With 3500 concrete. ..I have 7 inches and 4500 psi concrete...I have a ben-pak. I symmetrical.. give great flexibility...

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm having a workshop built in my back yard (if codes and zoning will ever finish reviewing the plans). The metal building manufacturer specifies a 4" slab but I'm going with a higher PSI rating than they specify. I'm thinking of the National Auto Tools NT-9 two-post lift. I don't know if I will actually get one, I'm good with a creeper and jack stands, but it's cheaper to pour the concrete now than to try and redo a couple of mounting spots later.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
-FINALLY- got the permits back from the city and the yard surveyed (I'm too close to an easement to just tape-measure it)... Concrete contractor is working up a quote for me for a 4" slab, 4000 psi. I specified 3500 but he said 4000 was what was commonly being delivered these days. I called National Auto Tools and they are good with the 4" slab for the NT-9 lift.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was lurking over at garagejournal while doing research on the the subject. Lots of options but I really want to hear from Ram owners. I am thinking about adding a 2 post lift for my Ram 1500 and my future 2500 (Tradesman PW package, most likely).

Anyone have one, and have feedback on its usefulness for our Rams? I have a little more than 12 ft clearance inside at the ridge. Prices look reasonable.

I went 4 post as I didn't want to deal with new mounting points especially lifting a 8000 lb truck. also 12 ft is probably not going to be tall enough for a lift if you plan on putting a truck on it. I had my lift in a 10 foot ceiling height area. even with a car, it was pretty tough to use, crouching under the vehicle.

I ended up re-engineering the roof with a ridge beam and "purlins" beams which removed the bottom chord/joists. This gave me about a 16 ft ceiling. WAY better.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
My building is going to have 12' walls and if I go with a lift, will locate it under the peak of the roof to give me room for the roof of the cab. I kinda would like one of the "movable" 4-post lifts, I could put my project of the moment on it and roll it in and out of my work space. But in my experience, other than oil changes, the vast majority of my work has been on the front end and on brakes. A 4-post lift doesn't allow you to just lift the vehicle and pull the wheels. It is definitely more stable if all you are doing is oil changes and underside work but kinda useless if you're pulling the front wheels to repack the hub bearings. I haven't convinced myself to even buy a lift yet, since a floor jack and stands have worked just fine for me since I was 15... I'm really beginning to think more towards one of the hydraulic lifts that will slide under and pick up both sides of an axle in one shot. No need for jack stands...

As mentioned in another thread (I think it was), putting 8000 pounds of truck up 6-7 foot in the air on two posts isn't for the faint of heart...