20,400 and some odd miles and I’m stranded…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course it had to be on a day when I’m heading for the deer lease with 24 wheelers on a 16 foot trailer and various and sundry supplies for the weekend of shooting and building deer blinds. Instead, I’ll be waiting on a tow truck to get me back to the dealership at home.

Not what I expected at this low mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CabChassisMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2017
Engine
Contact Stelantis/RAM CUSTOMER CARES and get a case manager.
Mine was Robin.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s not good at all! What happened??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Of course it had to be on a day when I’m heading for the deer lease with 24 wheelers on a 16 foot trailer and various and sundry supplies for the weekend of shooting and building deer blinds. Instead, I’ll be waiting on a tow truck to get me back to the dealership at home.

Not what I expected at this low mileage.

Why are you stranded? Will the engine not start? Transmission issue? Odd noise?

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check engine light came on and it is service electronic fuel throttle assembly. Truck will not start or run and I’m 95 miles away from home.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Check engine light came on and it is service electronic fuel throttle assembly. Truck will not start or run and I’m 95 miles away from home.

As a test to see if you can make the ETC work, put the ignition in the run position but do not start the engine. Make sure you don't have a foot on the brake pedal or the accelerator pedal. Once the ignition is in the run position, slowly press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it down for 15 seconds. Once completed, let off of the pedal and turn the ignition off. Then, try and start it like you normally do. Let me know what happens.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will start when I do that but it runs super rough. That’s how I got it off the stop sign and onto the side of the highway once I exited. Tow truck is hopefully on the way.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
20 year AAA Plus Member.... when needed, the tow has arrived within an hour. However, while I think of it, KNOCK ON WOOD, I only needed a tow in a Chrysler product once... and that was my own fault. Hope this turns out OK for you.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Mopar roadside assistance on this one. Had I not had the trailer with me it would’ve been much faster and simpler. Hope to find out cause of problem and time check will be in shop today. Picking up a loaner in about 30 minutes.

Slotback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be interested in hearing what the problem ultimately was.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok...just got it back and the cause was a broken intake valve spring. The tech said he thought the spring broke halfway throwing the code, then when I stopped, it broke in half sticking the valve open. Truck then dies and won't run right in limp mode. Sounds crazy to me, but that's the explanation. Started it and it runs perfectly.

Anyone hear of anyone else ever having this problem? Asking because I have a thing for unusual problems [tech usually say 'never heard of that one'].

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The mechanics that belong to this site should be getting home any time now

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok...just got it back and the cause was a broken intake valve spring. The tech said he thought the spring broke halfway throwing the code, then when I stopped, it broke in half sticking the valve open. Truck then dies and won't run right in limp mode. Sounds crazy to me, but that's the explanation. Started it and it runs perfectly.

Anyone hear of anyone else ever having this problem? Asking because I have a thing for unusual problems [tech usually say 'never heard of that one'].

So my exhaust valve on my ‘13 (and more miles) did the exact same thing. I lucked out and valve never hit the piston, so no major damage. $7 and 2.5 hours of my time later (with a buddy and beer) and I was back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of it happening but only a couple times on the Eagle Hemi so it's a pretty rare occurrence. I would say your chances of cam\lifter problem happening are like ten times greater(not you specifically).