2011 1500 oil pump 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aslaught3r45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m looking into swapping my oil pump and using higher weight oil for my 2011 5.7. But I have some questions first.
Whenever I first fire up my truck, my oil pressure is anywhere between 25-33psi.
However whenever the engine heats up, cruising on the highway at 50-70mph my oil pressure drops down to around 15-18psi. And when coming to a stop it drops down to about 4psi and throws a low oil code at me. Would this be because the oil pump is bad? Any advice is appreciated!

Rod Knock

Reaction score
The relief spring inside your oil pump might be bad, or you have a worn-out bearing or bushing somewhere (most likely one of the camshaft bushings - and I know, some call them bearings, but they're round, so I'm gonna call them bushings). Forum advice is one thing because it's a lot of speculation involved. I recommend getting a proper diagnosis from a reputable independent shop that knows what they're doing.