Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreamauto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L 8 Cylinder
I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L 8 cylinder engine that seems to have some sort of electrical issue. When I turn the key to on or start the truck, there is no response from the car but if you wait there for a few minutes with the key in the ignition, power comes to the dash and will start right up. Even if the key is in the "on" position there is no power to the car, no dinging or cluster lights or radio, all electronics don't function. However, once I wait there for sometimes like 10 minutes and get it started, it doesn't do it anymore for the rest of the day. I have replaced the fuse box, ignition, and key and still experience the same problem when starting the truck up. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always start with the basics, check and clean terminals. Make sure battery is fully charged. Check connections on both ends of the battery cable ECT...

OP
OP
D

dreamauto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L 8 Cylinder
Yeah I did check all that, still does it even with a jump box hooked up to the battery

Runninbear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having the same Problem with my truck. Just replaced the key part on mine to the tune of $500.00. After not even a week I was Going to start the truck and the same thing happened. So if anyone finds the answer I sure would like to know what to do. Going to go back to the dealer and if anything good happens I will let ya know. I think they have 3 parts that control this so I guess more and more money to the dodge people.

elvatoli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is doing the same. I have a 2012 RAM 1500 4x4 4.7 Quad Cab 190,000 miles, and already changed the fuel pump, because it was staying on draining the battery. New battery AGM high performance. And still doing the same things, draining the battery for the fuel pump stayed on, turning off the truck running on the expressway, not making contact to start the truck sometimes and remote control not working after change of batteries and housing.
Las thing I did that worked, is the mechanic attached a new relay with a jumper over the fuel pump relay at the fuse box (under), and with this it stopped leaving the fuel pump on and now is not draining the battery, but still doing the other things. Hector

Runninbear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still having the same problem. new keys new box same old problem. where to get the answer. ? TThe dealer wants more money and more money and more money with no fix. Rogersville TN, dodge dealer. one person says to bypass the key. don't know about this .any help out there YET? anyone have the fix. can it be the programming part? that just does not take. have done that 3 times already. Help me out

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Larime
Engine
Hemi
My 2012 Laraine is also doing this. Not all the time. Sometimes Have to try it twice then it will work. But just last nite 2 different times I had to try and start it 4 attempts. :sad72: Not a very warm and fuzzy feeling up here in Maine if February.
I took it to dealer Of course they can't duplicate it and no codes showed. I said that it seems to be an issues with OTHER RAMS out there on internet. I was told that they have NEVER heard of this issues. And yes I have tried Both fobs and new battery's in both.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Larime
Engine
Hemi
Well I have good news AND Bad news on this issue. After being at dealer 3 times with this issue. They said never heard of this or could duplicate. (of course Not)
Finally they did what they said was a PIN test. And guess WHAT ,there was some that were bad.
They replace the whole ignition an 2 new keys. So far all is good..Now for the BAD NEWS.. $800.00 . Still cheap enough from being stranded during a blizzard.