2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Swap To 2017 Ram 5.7 Hemi Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aurorean Skye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I have a 2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab and I was having some issues with the engine. It started a few months ago while driving up hill, the truck seemed like it had no power. So I called a local mechanic and he suggested I change the plugs and wires. I had them replaced and truck still didn't seem like it was running right going up hills and bridges. So he suggested that I have a transmission shop replace fluid and filter. Transmission shop also replaced a shifting relay. Seemed a little better but wasn't fully convinced the truck was repaired. About 2 weeks later I get a check engine light on. Take back to local mechanic he says truck is getting a code for cylinder 3 misfire. He replaces the #3 cylinder coil. Truck seems a little better. About a week later check engine light comes on again. Bring it back to local mechanic and he thinks that the problem is an ejector for cylinder #3. He replaces it and during his road test check engine light comes back on. Code is for cylinder #3 misfire. He checks cylinder compression and 7o psi on cylinder #3. He believes it is worn lobes on camshaft. He doesn't charge me for the fuel injector replacement. He suggests I take it to dealer to confirm. Paid to due a diagnostic at the dealer and sure enough Camshaft. Truck only has 125,000 miles and I have always done oil changes between 3000 to 4000 miles. Dealer tells me camshaft is on backorder for 4 to 6 weeks. Also quotes me a min. price of 3,000 for just camshaft replacement and up for what ever other parts need replacing. I tried to get quotes from other mechanic shops and they all suggest basically rebuilding the engine due to metal in motor from possibly lifters and the camshaft. I called some local junkyards and found one that has an engine out of a 2017 Ram truck with a Hemi with less than 10,000 miles, the transmission is also available as it is still currently attached to the engine. Truck was wrecked in the rear and totaled. Was thinking I should buy both engine and transmission. I noticed online that 2009 to 2014 5.7 hemi are the same and 2015 to 2017 are the same. What are the differences and what would I have to change to make newer engine and transmission work. Thanks

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I may suggest... break your post up into paragraphs so people can read it. That wall of text hurts my brain.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the biggest difference you will find is that the ‘14 and up will have the 8 speed tranny and electronic power steering.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The electronics might might trip you up. The dropped lifter and worn cam lobes is a somewhat common issue. Dealers have have repaired this under warranty and I have yet to hear/read of a an issue caused by metal particles. If it were my truck, I would just rebuild the top end with forged internals and never have to worry about it again.

Last edited:

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m facing the same issue with my 2011. I want to swap it out for a 2017 with 28k on it. Going to leave my 2011 transmission in. I’m figuring that I would have to use my 2011 wire harness. Am I right. What did you do ?