2014 Ram 1500 3.0L Turbo Diesel replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRam2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L, V-6 EcoDiesel
Newbie here. I have a 2014 Dodge Ram Tradesman, AWD, 6 cyl, with the 3.0L TurboDiesel. According the mechanic in the town in broke down in an injector exploded and the engine now has metal shards in and is non-functional. Question 1: Can these engines be rebuilt (mechanic says no) Question 2: if I put a rebuilt engine in there would I be better off avoiding the 3.0L trubodiesel and going with 3.6L gas engine

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did an injector let loose or just the HPFP? or was it something internal to the engine? Never heard of an injector exploding taking an engine out. The HPFP and the fuel system can be replaced without swapping the engine.
Or there's a whole new engine: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-complete-engine-5158048af
Despite all the ney sayer on this somewhat Hemi biased forum there are a lot of EcoDiesel running around well into the 100K and 200K mile mark, even three confirmed that have gone over 400K miles
Changing to gas you would probably need to swap the transmission as it uses a slightly different one than the EcoDiesel.

OP
OP
T

TexasRam2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L, V-6 EcoDiesel
Thanks, Crash. I'm not 100% certain what destroyed the engine but do know there is metal down in the pan and filter. i think my solution is to be a another 3.0L Eco Diesel and have it put in. I hope we can get 200K out of the next engine. It will make the 10 grand easier to swallow.
I wish there was an alternative diesel for replacement. These 3.0l's are hard to find.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I wish there was an alternative diesel for replacement. These 3.0l's are hard to find.
Someone did a Cummins 4BT swap into one, sounded like they had done the swap before into other vehicles. Too bad Cummins has only released the 2.8 Repower diesel, probably just not enough umph(161HP/310ft/lbs) for in a full size truck.
If you decide to tune the EcoDiesel, there's two worthwhile options. If you want to stay EPA legit/legal then Green Diesel Engineering. If your EGR, DPF, SCR has fallen off the vehicle then HD Diesel Supply out of Canada is your best bet. Avoid SFT or Reckless, way too many problems reported about their tunes and customer service.

OP
OP
T

TexasRam2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L, V-6 EcoDiesel
End result: i tried the link Crash offered: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-complete-engine-5158048af

There were 7 new 3.0' EcoDeisel in the US but all were spoken for. Waiting list is a couple of months long.
I found a used one on LKQ website. 69K miles and cost almost as much as new.
We are having it put in by a certified diesel mechanic for 2 grand.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you have your engine rebuilt and at the same time upgrade parts that are known to be troublesome?