2015 Pentastar V6 Towing [SUPERCHARGER SUCCESS!]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Engineering, ol buddy, 3.92s will be a big improvement. But from what I've read in post #155, I'd do 4.10s. That Pentastar needs all the help it can get.

It's pretty stupid of RAM to have ever put 3.21s in any of these trucks. You have an 8 speed, but can use only 5 or 6 of those gears. Does that make any sense at all? No it does not.

I'll never forget the first time I drove my truck after I had 4.10s put in it. I thought: This finally feels correct. I'm glad I didn't do 3.92s.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Engineering, ol buddy, 3.92s will be a big improvement. But from what I've read in post #155, I'd do 4.10s. That Pentastar needs all the help it can get.

It's pretty stupid of RAM to have ever put 3.21s in any of these trucks. You have an 8 speed, but can use only 5 or 6 of those gears. Does that make any sense at all? No it does not.

I'll never forget the first time I drove my truck after I had 4.10s put in it. I thought: This finally feels correct. I'm glad I didn't do 3.92s.

I don't disagree that 4.10 is a good call - I just wanted to get an OEM gearset. The 4.10's are all aftermarket which is not necessarily bad, but it requires me to do the homework to make sure I am getting good quality set.

Even with the 4.10, 8th gear will still be a fairly rare event. The 3.21 is kinda weird 75mph is only 1700 rpm.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Even with the 4.10, 8th gear will still be a fairly rare event. The 3.21 is kinda weird 75mph is only 1700 rpm.

That’s quite different from my truck. At 75 I’m turning just under 2500rpm on the 5.7. I’ll be watching this thread for end results!

best,
DG

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Does anyone happen to know the OBD-II PID codes for transmission temp on the RAM trucks?

It is not one of the standards and the only thing missing, I have my data recorder ready and the weather looks good to move this project forward.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s quite different from my truck. At 75 I’m turning just under 2500rpm on the 5.7. I’ll be watching this thread for end results!

best,
DG
5spd trans?
If it’s the 8spd and you also have 3.21s, your hemi rpm will be the same as the pentastar’s.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Does anyone happen to know the OBD-II PID codes for transmission temp on the RAM trucks?

It is not one of the standards and the only thing missing, I have my data recorder ready and the weather looks good to move this project forward.

They’ve done a good job of keeping tranny temp PIDs a secret for years. Heck im still trying to find the PID for the old RFE’s and my RLE. AlfaOBD shows my tranny temp, but I haven’t found the PID to show it in anything else. Hopefully someones found a PID for the ZF 8 speeds though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
They’ve done a good job of keeping tranny temp PIDs a secret for years. Heck im still trying to find the PID for the old RFE’s and my RLE. AlfaOBD shows my tranny temp, but I haven’t found the PID to show it in anything else. Hopefully someones found a PID for the ZF 8 speeds though

Sounds like endless hours of hacking - not worth it me thinks.

Looks like trans temp may be a pencil/paper solution for now. I don't need super precision, so it should be ok.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Interesting - trying to understand that suggested PID as a valid OBD2 data frame. I wonder if that is specific to the tool being used in that case?

I will dig a little to see what I can figure out on this.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Interesting - trying to understand that suggested PID as a valid OBD2 data frame. I wonder if that is specific to the tool being used in that case?
The PIDs talked about are used in many apps/programs to read the vehicle data.
What PIDs is short for is: On Board Diagnostic Parameter IDs. The format is standard but can also include manufacturer specific data.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
The PIDs talked about are used in many apps/programs to read the vehicle data.
What PIDs is short for is: On Board Diagnostic Parameter IDs. The format is standard but can also include manufacturer specific data.

PID: 22b010
Long Name: Transmission Temp
Short name: Trans Temp
Min value: 0.0
Max Value: 250.0
Scale: x1
Unit: (degrees)f
Equation: ((A*256)+b)*(1/64)

I am trying to figure out how to access the enhanced data indicated by the '22' where 0B10 appears to be the command ID.
Reading the 01 service codes is easy enough - the enhanced codes are forwarded internally to a specific module that is not directly accessible on the OBD2 bus.

I did not get a response from '220B10' - but guessing that I have not formatted the CAN frame properly. Not using a scantool, I am writing my own code with custom interface hardware.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am trying to figure out how to access the enhanced data indicated by the '22' where 0B10 appears to be the command ID.
Reading the 01 service codes is easy enough - the enhanced codes are forwarded internally to a specific module that is not directly accessible on the OBD2 bus.

I did not get a response from '220B10' - but guessing that I have not formatted the CAN frame properly. Not using a scantool, I am writing my own code with custom interface hardware.
It's been a while since I've read up on this but I think you have to have a header code also so the app/reader knows where to go read the value.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Ok - I now have the truck in position and ready for the Sprintex Supercharger installation. I am giving myself around a week to get it all done as I have time between work obligations.

Basic information gathered when the truck was unloaded and loaded was that the coolant temp had almost no change, trans temp went up around 10-15F on long uphills. Engine oil temp went up about 10-15F. Overall, it was lighter than usual by about 1,000lbs or so. 1/4 tank gas, empty water tanks, no passengers, and no cargo. The hills were medium grade, nothing extreme. I kept it around 65mph which is mostly 4th gear (3850 rpm) and 3rd gear (~4600 rpm).

I will make the same run after the install and see how much it changes. Exciting!

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Half way there.....hope this works :)

The install process is about what I expected so far. The instruction from Sprintex are barely passable but I guess that is enough. The hardest thing about working on modern vehicles is figuring out hoe to release all the crazy electrical connectors with Houdini latches.
It's all good....I am patient. If I am lucky, it will be running tomorrow.

More pics after it is complete.....

upload_2021-3-5_19-36-39.png

upload_2021-3-5_19-37-21.png

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
There are parts missing from the kit and differences from my 2015 year and the 2013 year the kit was developed with.

Some invention required, but appears to be minor overall (so far). The missing parts can be had from McMaster Carr and I have a commercial account with them.

The instructions continue to with ambiguity and conflicts - Sprintex can REALLY improve on this. An 8 hour install has ballooned to multiple days and a lot of guessing. It feels like they just slapped the instructions together one evening and never actually checked anything or did an installation against them. I am not surprised by this, but it is still frustrating for sure.

Looks like I can get to about 90% completion before I am stuck finding and waiting for the missing pieces.

EDIT:
I completed the analysis of the issues with the Sprintex kit. I ordered the parts necessary from McMaster Carr and they will arrive on Monday. Everything else seems to be in position and ready.

There is a LOOOOONG list of issues that I sent to Sprintex, curious how favorable they will respond. I feel sorry for anyone with modest skills hoping to get this done in a day. The only thing saving me is a couple decades of engineering and manufacturing - very thankful that I have a huge assortment of fasteners, shims, etc and a CNC machine to make some necessary brackets that don't exist in the kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Keep at it buddy, I'm rooting for you.

Thank you!

Most of the pieces need to finish have arrived. Waiting for a single piece of stainless tubing right now.

In other news - crickets from Sprintex so far. Sent messages to two different places and no response in 3 business days.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Starting to look like progress - although hidden in this image are blood and tears that cannot be seen.

Obviously, I don't yet know how this will work - but I already consider it a failure regardless of how much torque it makes. The first thing is the Sprintex is apparently not reachable so any questions are up to me to figure out on my own. As noted in a previous post - the instructions are just barely better than totally useless which is a massive time suck so far.

Now that the supercharger is in position - it has become very clear that this kit was designed for Jeeps and poorly adapted to the RAM 1500. There are screws that are stunningly difficult to get to, it took 4+ hours to get two screws behind the super charger started. It required me to create silly little fixtures to get them started. 4+ hours......for two screws. The instructions simply say "Insert screws and tighten" :893Chainsaw-Smilie- Right now, I about 30-35 hours in. Guessing another 8 or so for completion, but that is a wild guess. Who knows what other silliness may come up. For reference, I am not a pro mechanic but I have a LOT of experience on a lot of cars street to full race. In addition, I am an engineer that personally builds complex machinery for a living. Perhaps I am not Gods gift to mechanics, but I am no slouch either.

Anyway - all 15 of the manifold screws are started and now I am trying to figure out how to actually tighten them. I have all sorts of wrenches of various shapes, lengths, etc but that is not really helping. The two difficult screws (bolts M6) are in a position that I am leaning over with full reach and holding the wrench with only two fingers trying to hook up with a bolt head that I cannot see. Once I get the wrench on there, I can turn it about 1/32 of a turn. The ratcheting wrench seems to be the best and I hoping to get 2 ratchet clicks at a time. To make things easier - I am using a camera hooked up to a laptop to help me get the wrench in position. Hope that helps a little.

Honestly - the engine needs to be dropped for this kit. Technically, it is not impossible but it is VERY close to impossible to install it according to the directions. The engine sits so far back that it becomes excruciating to get to the screws. To make things more fun - the whole system needs to be removed when it comes time to change the plugs so I can count on 10-12 hours to change spark plugs.

Continuing on with the project now after taking a break to avoid uncontrolled rage. At this point - I would not accept this kit if it was given to me for FREE. It is not worth the time regardless of how well it may perform (which of course remains to be seen).

upload_2021-3-13_15-46-58.png

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a royal pain in the **** especially without any help from sprintex. Any progress is still progress. Keep at it man. Been watching this thread since the beginning and can't wait to see the results!