2015 Ram DEF issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndyMcK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello

I have a 2015 ram 5500 that is giving me so much trouble with the emissions stuff.
3 days ago the 150 miles till 5mph max speed service def came up on my screen.
I took off the def injector and cleaned it and still had the same issue. I ordered a new injector and had the same result. Started troubleshooting and had a few trouble codes show up. P20E9 came up. I started looking at the def pump. Turns out it was bad. Found one locally at the dealer. Now I am still getting the same warning but only 50 miles till limp mode with a P229E code. Which deals with the NOX sensor. Would this code nox code make the DEF warning to keep coming back? If I erase the trouble code about 1 in 4 times it will get rid of the 5mph def warning but 5 miles down the road the warning is back. And every time it comes back it resets at 50 miles again. 2 times the warning went away on its own and said I had 4089 miles till service def system then goes off but comes back a few miles down the road with 50 miles till limp. And the CEL comes on and the only code is a P229E.

I need this truck for work. I can't afford to be without it for a day.
Please help!!

Thanks

Andy

baqdraft57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
This is many moons later from when the thread started. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7L and my truck threw the following codes:

P229E-NOx sensor circuit-bank 1 sensor 2
P229F-NOx sensor circuit range/performance-bank 1
P1C70-SCR error detected-engine disabled

Along with these codes was the 150 mile derate to 5 mph. Luckily when I ticked down to 0 miles, the next message on the dash read "5 MPH Max at next shutdown, long idle, or refuel". The beneficial thing was I was able to finish my trip into the next town and get it to the shop. I wasn't sure if I was going to be shut down right there on the freeway. I am not sure what the definition of a long idle is but the other two I understood very plainly.

I tried to clean the NOx sensor with some Lucas injector cleaner overnight but the error message only would clear to a 50 mile warning with the same P229E codes. I ended up replacing the sensor with one from NAPA ($394), (dealer wanted $900), and the problem went away. My truck was good as new.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
P229E
check the NOx Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
it could be that pins are bent in the connector, or the sensor itself

P20E9 Reductant Pressure Too High

watch Both of these videos, so the dealer can't rob you

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/p20e9-reductant-pressure-too-high.2492173/

Last edited: