2016 Rebel Air Suspension Off road mode lowers over 25mph. What about spinning in mud?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016RebelGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a used 2016 Ram Rebel 1500. I understand the off-road mode lowering at 25mph, but what about if you are spinning in mud or snow? I don't think I would want my truck auto lowering when you are already in mud/snow. Is that really how it works? Can you turn that off somehow?
Thanks!!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The suspension lowers automatically when vehicle exceeds a specific speed. I'm assuming the system uses the speedometer reading for this, so theoretically it will lower if your wheels are spinning faster than that speed. You mentioned snow, so this is in regards to winter conditions since I don't have much off-road experience. Why are you giving it more gas once your wheels start spinning? At that point you've lost traction, and it won't get better by spinning your wheels. I've had a couple different trucks with air suspension (2017 Rebel, 2020 Limited) and never had my suspension lower during winter driving at the off-road height. But then again I doubt I've ever spun my wheels that fast during those conditions.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's countless threads about the air suspension in these trucks. They use the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) to determine drive shaft speed. So if you're spinning tires on snow, mud, ice etc and the wheel speed goes about 25MPH the system will want to automatically lower to "normal" height. The "easy" solution for this is to put the truck in Offroad height, turn remove the fuse "F50" in the TIPM. It'll throw a code for the air ride but it's disabling the system so it won't lower. If you don't have a leak people commonly remove the fuse in the winter anyways to minimize issues with the system.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
With abs, stability control and all the other systems and sensors these vehicles have they "know" when there's spinning due to loss of traction vs running at speed.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The suspension lowers automatically when vehicle exceeds a specific speed. I'm assuming the system uses the speedometer reading for this, so theoretically it will lower if your wheels are spinning faster than that speed. You mentioned snow, so this is in regards to winter conditions since I don't have much off-road experience. Why are you giving it more gas once your wheels start spinning? At that point you've lost traction, and it won't get better by spinning your wheels. I've had a couple different trucks with air suspension (2017 Rebel, 2020 Limited) and never had my suspension lower during winter driving at the off-road height. But then again I doubt I've ever spun my wheels that fast during those conditions.
You can't get the mud/snow flingin' unless the wheels are spinnin'! It's something the cool kids do, as grownups we forget fun stuff like that.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't get the mud/snow flingin' unless the wheels are spinnin'! It's something the cool kids do, as grownups we forget fun stuff like that.
There's a few situations where a good "fling" to clear the tread helps traction a ton.