2017 Ram 1500 6 speed - trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
i have 70k miles on my 17 ram with the 6 speed.

What fluid should i use? I know at+4 but does brand matter? Someone recommended Valvoline, while someone else said to use only Mopar or the trans will stutter?
What about filter? Autozone has a kit w/ 15 bolt deep pan w/ cooler line for $27.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
6 speed trans in a '17? I thought the 8 speed was the only option for the hemi in these.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I use redline c+, pure honey actually fixed shudder I was having in low rpm's. Amsoil ss atf is likely as good, you want the SS multi vehicle if that is the case, both of those have a viscosity over 7, which is what you want to avoid shudder. You want the correct metal thread iupgrade for the spin on filter, the plastic threads have killed some ram forum transmisions. You may opt for a synthetic filter as well. This is the correct metal threads trust me, the billet ones fit loose, these fit tight, dont risk it, less then 15 bucks.

Drain and fill without flushing lines and torque converter will be 8 quarts. I would use only mopar sump filter, oem has a valve aftermarket ones don't, and chose what you want for canister filter, there are two one sump and one canister. Make sure you pull the o ring out of the cavity on the sump filter then use the new one that comes with the kit. Just have to be careful with rfe and leaks.

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I use redline c+, pure honey actually fixed shudder I was having in low rpm's. Amsoil ss atf is likely as good, you want the SS multi vehicle if that is the case, both of those have a viscosity over 7, which is what you want to avoid shudder. You want the correct metal thread iupgrade for the spin on filter, the plastic threads have killed some ram forum transmisions. You may opt for a synthetic filter as well. This is the correct metal threads trust me, the billet ones fit loose, these fit tight, dont risk it, less then 15 bucks.

Drain and fill without flushing lines and torque converter will be 8 quarts. I would use only mopar sump filter, oem has a valve aftermarket ones don't, and chose what you want for canister filter, there are two one sump and one canister. Make sure you pull the o ring out of the cavity on the sump filter then use the new one that comes with the kit. Just have to be careful with rfe and leaks.
Alot to take in here, so are you suggesting one of the synthetic filters thats in the link? If not use the adapter thats linked "less than 15 bucks" - Pure honey - some sort of additive - no matter which fluid i use? Also, those filters the wix 57055xp or the amsoil EA15K13 these are for the trans, and are needed with the sump filter? They are not for the engine oil correct?

For the sump filter, i would have to go to ram to purchase then correct? Would they sell the whole kit with the o ring?

Thank you

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
yep. you and many other thought that. But 17 express. 6 speed... she only shifts 6 times lol

They were still flogging the RFE into Canada all the way up to 2019 Ed
I did not realize that. Sorry. I would've thought the switchover to the 8HP was across the board.

The 8 speed in mine has been great so far, just the annoying bump where it seems like it finally drops into 1st when you take your foot off the brake to accelerate on a green light.

Sometimes I have to drive it differently than I normally do, use the skinny pedal more than I already do to fake the transmission out and then it's usually much improved for a while

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did not realize that. Sorry. I would've thought the switchover to the 8HP was across the board.

The 8 speed in mine has been great so far, just the annoying bump where it seems like it finally drops into 1st when you take your foot off the brake to accelerate on a green light.

Sometimes I have to drive it differently than I normally do, use the skinny pedal more than I already do to fake the transmission out and then it's usually much improved for a while
It was only the lower trim level trucks that were still getting the RFE transmission in Canada,anything like a Sport or above trim level were getting the 8 speeds from 14 on.My 2014 regular cab shortbox 4X4 Sport has the 8 speed

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For anyone interested, for a fluid to be sold as specifically ATF+4 it has to meet the specs of the factory fluid. It's a trademarked name. Walmart brand has an ATF+4 that I used back in the day, perfectly fine.

I'd still go straight to the dealer with your VIN to get filters. Not worth the hassles that have been around with filters splitting.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Alot to take in here, so are you suggesting one of the synthetic filters thats in the link? If not use the adapter thats linked "less than 15 bucks" - Pure honey - some sort of additive - no matter which fluid i use? Also, those filters the wix 57055xp or the amsoil EA15K13 these are for the trans, and are needed with the sump filter? They are not for the engine oil correct?

For the sump filter, i would have to go to ram to purchase then correct? Would they sell the whole kit with the o ring?

T
Use that metal thread upgrade no matter WHAT! Buy once and never deal with those gimmick plastic ones again.

For the filters, I think you need to buy an oem kit which includes the canister which you may opt to change. I got my mopar filter kit amazon.

In the link there is a list of synthetic filters for the rfe.

Yes, those filters listed are for canister only, it is an option over the oem canister filter. I highly suggest you cut open that canister filter, you will likely see what I found in mine, sticf as a board, no filtering happening. Read oil filter thread for benefits of spun microglass. The sump filters from oem are perfect, they are high flow synthetic type material.

47118549492_bdecc27466_z.jpg

46256419055_1988541e45_z.jpg

redline is pao/ester, mopar is mineral oil, see what happened when hot and cold. line 2 and 5, versus line 1. People describe it as butter smooth over mineral oil.

R.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
These are for rfe, in this case wix is a good choice, rp always is.

WIX 57055XP
RP 10-2867
M1-110A (synthetic blend)
XG7317
EA15K13 amsoil

Yes you need two filters, but if you are gonna skip one, I'd skip the sump filter, mine still looked new, but lets be real you will change it because it is 70k miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see the mopar one has some type of pressure relief valve or something in the sump filter, note the pink piece. You see the o ring as well, kinda suks 73 bucks, but it is the sump filter you want. Too bad this canister blows donky *****, but hey it is what it is. Hope all that helped, chose whatever fluid suits you, just suggesting a top quality one.

61wTPvOBH-L._AC_SX466_.jpg

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Use that metal thread upgrade no matter WHAT! Buy once and never deal with those gimmick plastic ones again.

For the filters, I think you need to buy an oem kit which includes the canister which you may opt to change. I got my mopar filter kit amazon.

In the link there is a list of synthetic filters for the rfe.

Yes, those filters listed are for canister only, it is an option over the oem canister filter. I highly suggest you cut open that canister filter, you will likely see what I found in mine, sticf as a board, no filtering happening. Read oil filter thread for benefits of spun microglass. The sump filters from oem are perfect, they are high flow synthetic type material.

View attachment 526553

View attachment 526554

redline is pao/ester, mopar is mineral oil, see what happened when hot and cold. line 2 and 5, versus line 1. People describe it as butter smooth over mineral oil.

View attachment 526555

So if i buy the MOPAR filter kit, do i still need the metal adapter?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
how much of the shutter fixer did you need?
I just added one tube and it helped a ton. After the Redline C+ and a factory mopar filters changed it started shutter a little bit. Its been on that combo for 23k miles and its been perfect again.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So if i buy the MOPAR filter kit, do i still need the metal adapter?
yes, you see the black plastic thread that comes with it. Put it this way, if you want a metal thread on rfe, you have to purchase it. This guy is incredible, if you buy ten ram forum will likely buy them off you, ask kyle he bought ten and they were gone in a day, lol. he sell lots as well. but 6 bucks plus 8 to ship it is stupid low price, you wont find better or cheaper.

I would only buy and use lubegard shudder fix IF you get shudder, with respect to TB's experience it is more likely you wont have shudder with redline c+.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes, you see the black plastic thread that comes with it. Put it this way, if you want a metal thread on rfe, you have to purchase it. This guy is incredible, if you buy ten ram forum will likely buy them off you, ask kyle he bought ten and they were gone in a day, lol. he sell lots as well. but 6 bucks plus 8 to ship it is stupid low price, you wont find better or cheaper.

I would only buy and use lubegard shudder fix IF you get shudder, with respect to TB's experience it is more likely you wont have shudder with redline c+.
Well I did loan my truck to my dad for 3 years and he did nothing to maintain it other then change the oil. It went way to long on the stock fluids, but I got that sorted out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well I did loan my truck to my dad for 3 years and he did nothing to maintain it other then change the oil. It went way to long on the stock fluids, but I got that sorted out.
Cool story, good to see someone be in a good position to help out your pops. It's the least you can do seeing that he gave you life, lol.