2018 Power Wagon Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could you say it sounds like a continuous clicking? or is it occasional loud clunk that surprises you and then is silent again?
No it is more like a light grinding or rubbing noise that changes at wheel speed, like a loud to silent cyclic sound. it is also felt in the floorboard and gas pedal.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
No it is more like a light grinding or rubbing noise that changes at wheel speed, like a loud to silent cyclic sound. it is also felt in the floorboard and gas pedal.
Might try and get us a video of the noise.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull your abs Fuse and try to replicate this sound
I will try that. I noticed the light was on with 4 lo selected as it should and I tried it in 2 wd with traction control selected off and normal with no change.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will try that. I noticed the light was on with 4 lo selected as it should and I tried it in 2 wd with traction control selected off and normal with no change.

only pulling the fuse deactivates the ABS fully.

you may be experiencing this ABS interaction.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
OK, looking at my track bar bolts, looks like the dealer checked them at my last visit, i saw fresh tool marks on the bolt heads. using the pasted info above from thurenfabrication.com, I found the bolt heads on my track bar to be 27mm, a 1-1/16" fit real snug. My torque wrench tops out at 150 ft lb so I tried that first, no movement, then I used a bar and put over 200 on it, no movement. Looked around for obvious signs of rubbing and none found. Went out on a red clay sand road and found the following... In 2 wd with the body tweaked a bit it will make "the noise" with a little throttle applied, rears spinning. 4 wd lo, flat and level in tight turns walking speed will produce it best. sounds like a rubbing grunt of sorts, not the tire type of sound, cyclic, loud to soft about the same speed as the tires/ axles. tried axles locked and sway bar disconnected, no effect. I have yet to jack it up and try it unloaded, but that will likely be next. I also noticed the steering recall had been accomplished by welding the lock nuts to the adjustment sleeve on the drag link. How am I to adjust steering wheel position now? anyhow the saga continues... and I appreciate all suggestions.

Is this your first 4WD vehicle (with transfer case, not “AWD” center diff type)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this your first 4WD vehicle (with transfer case, not “AWD” center diff type)?

No, I've had several jeeps -YJ's, JK, KJU, and currently TJ and a 1500 RAM 4X4, been around Ford and Chevy 4X4's and a fair amount of off road and recovery.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only pulling the fuse deactivates the ABS fully.

you may be experiencing this ABS interaction.
And that's sort of what it feels like in the floorboard and foot feed when the ABS pump runs when ABS is activated but not exactly...

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
No, I've had several jeeps -YJ's, JK, KJU, and currently TJ and a 1500 RAM 4X4, been around Ford and Chevy 4X4's and a fair amount of off road and recovery.

The reason I ask is that with the maneuvers and driving surfaces you’re describing, it sounds like normal tire scrub/slip that has to happen when turning in 4WD (even more so when a diff or diffs are locked). Even in 2WD, a sharp enough turn can get the LSD to start trying to work.

If you have experience with this type of drivetrain, I’d guess you probably wouldn’t be here asking, so maybe your noise is something else.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason I ask is that with the maneuvers and driving surfaces you’re describing, it sounds like normal tire scrub/slip that has to happen when turning in 4WD (even more so when a diff or diffs are locked). Even in 2WD, a sharp enough turn can get the LSD to start trying to work.

If you have experience with this type of drivetrain, I’d guess you probably wouldn’t be here asking, so maybe your noise is something else.

I thought of the ABS kicking in after the noise happened in 2wd. I assumed the ABS was not functional at the speeds I was hearing it, and I didn't get the flashing ABS light. I will try the ABS fuse removal next, hopefully today. Thanks for your help!

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Now I'm wondering about ESC. ABS should only be for braking. In the OP's case he is on the accelerator. Could it be ESC kicking in???

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
removal of the ABS fuse also takes out ESC i believe...

pulling the fuse is a great way to determine if its computer driven or a mechanical failure.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
removal of the ABS fuse also takes out ESC i believe...

pulling the fuse is a great way to determine if its computer driven or a mechanical failure.

Yes, esc will no longer function either.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good evening and thanks for all the help from all! I went in search of the ABS fuse which my owner's manual shows F76, 10 amp to be Antilock brakes/ Electronic Stability Control. On the fuse panel cover it shows BSM/STP LP SW/EPB/ESC- since I did not know all those TLA's (three letter acronyms) listed, I pulled F06- ABS pump MTR instead. This causes the brake and stability MIL to illuminate, the "service electronic braking system" notice on the EVIC, and my noise to go away. I reinstalled and removed the fuse a couple of times to be certain. It still does not sound like an ABS pump activating to me, but that is what is doing it.. But of course my hearing ain't that great either. So again thanks to all! I still wonder why it is trying to do anything in 4 lo at no MPH- is there something wrong, and if not, is there another way to completely turn the Nanny off besides pulling the pump fuse? I made a video with my cell phone to upload but could not hear the noise well after it downloaded to my PC...

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good evening and thanks for all the help from all! I went in search of the ABS fuse which my owner's manual shows F76, 10 amp to be Antilock brakes/ Electronic Stability Control. On the fuse panel cover it shows BSM/STP LP SW/EPB/ESC- since I did not know all those TLA's (three letter acronyms) listed, I pulled F06- ABS pump MTR instead. This causes the brake and stability MIL to illuminate, the "service electronic braking system" notice on the EVIC, and my noise to go away. I reinstalled and removed the fuse a couple of times to be certain. It still does not sound like an ABS pump activating to me, but that is what is doing it.. But of course my hearing ain't that great either. So again thanks to all! I still wonder why it is trying to do anything in 4 lo at no MPH- is there something wrong, and if not, is there another way to completely turn the Nanny off besides pulling the pump fuse? I made a video with my cell phone to upload but could not hear the noise well after it downloaded to my PC...

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yep, you need to get yourself one of these!

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5798