2019 Classic Express regular cab Remote start install & Hood Ajar switch and vehicle alarm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dwhutch

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for the big picture. If there is any thought on why this light would stay on with the proper ohm reading let me know.
Is that a classic or new body style? I have a classic and don't get that light at all

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry for the big picture. If there is any thought on why this light would stay on with the proper ohm reading let me know.
For everyone else wondering about your hood ajar indicator, you have a 5th gen, which has the feature in the cluster. Did you install the hood latch, and is the wiring for it present all the way to the BCM C1 connector pin 11?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you are wired up correctly, set CBC I/O config: Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Input Present to YES

CBC I/O Usage: Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Signal Usage to 1K parallel resistor

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’ve tested both settings and check ohms value with hood opened and closed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve tested both settings and check ohms value with hood opened and closed. Thanks for the suggestion!
The resistance values only tell you that the hood latch itself is good, and will read the same way uninstalled on the bench. Need to know the following:
1) is the ajar sense wire present from the hood latch connector all the way to the BCM C1 connector pin 11, and have you laid eyes on it being in the bcm connector?
2) is the hood latch ground wire grounded, and is it a good ground?
3) is CBC I/O config: Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Input Present currently set to YES?
4) is CBC I/O Usage: Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Signal Usage currently set to 1K parallel resistor?
5) after all that is verified, set VehConfig 1 remote start present to YES, drive a few key cycles, and see what happens with the hood ajar light. Then, all you need to do is take the fobs to the dealer and only program them. They don’t need to add the remote start sales code.

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Jimmy, I think I forgot Vihconfig! I’ll check it tonight.

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for all the help. Is there anything i can do to log changes after the dealership does their programming?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for all the help. Is there anything i can do to log changes after the dealership does their programming?
Did the hood ajar light go out?
Click on the battery icon in the bottom right and read system ID. This will automatically put your bcm log in the BCM folder. As long as the dealer only programs a fob, nothing will change. If they add a sales code, or restore vehicle configuration for some odd reason, any changes you made will be reverted.

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The hood light is light still On. I just checked the connections again for the second time... that isn't an easy job with some fat hands. Is there a known voltage or ohms at the latch plug?

OP
OP
dwhutch

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For everyone else wondering about your hood ajar indicator, you have a 5th gen, which has the feature in the cluster. Did you install the hood latch, and is the wiring for it present all the way to the BCM C1 connector pin 11?
So I have a 19 classic Express and have added remote start and enabled factory alarm system which both work correctly (see post #9) but I don't get the hood warning indicator on the display. Is there a setting somewhere to enable/disable the indicator?

OP
OP
dwhutch

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hood light is light still On. I just checked the connections again for the second time... that isn't an easy job with some fat hands. Is there a known voltage or ohms at the latch plug?
Go back and read post 8 & 9. I read about 1.6 volts on mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unplug the connector from the hood latch. On the two wire connector, use something to jump/tie the two circuits together. Change CBC I/O Usage Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Signal Usage to 500/500. If the hood ajar indicator does not go out, there’s something incorrect with the wiring.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I have a 19 classic Express and have added remote start and enabled factory alarm system which both work correctly (see post #9) but I don't get the hood warning indicator on the display. Is there a setting somewhere to enable/disable the indicator?
No, there is no such indicator on the 4th gen clusters.

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went from being really confident in my wiring to dammit, I’ve gotta tear this dash apart. From the backside of the plug pin 11 should be the second pin from the top right side correct?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went from being really confident in my wiring to dammit, I’ve gotta tear this dash apart. From the backside of the plug pin 11 should be the second pin from the top right side correct?
Nope, top left- joXQDmA.jpg
tFrBlG4.jpg

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
jimmy, I do believe I put it in the wrong hole! I just changed the connection and I have to say when I saw the matching purple wire it was a good and bad feeling. The truck didn't like the jumper but after I reconnected to the hood latch... All is good! I can't thank you enough for your time! If you ever need refrigeration support please ask!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
jimmy, I do believe I put it in the wrong hole! I just changed the connection and I have to say when I saw the matching purple wire it was a good and bad feeling. The truck didn't like the jumper but after I reconnected to the hood latch... All is good! I can't thank you enough for your time! If you ever need refrigeration support please ask!
Lol, I’m curious- was the horn sounding off when you put the jumper wire on?