2020 rebel 130 miles tranny fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyBgoode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I factory ordered a 2020 Rebel. I picked it up and on my second day of driving it began Erving high between gears and shifting very hard. Then I had multiple check engine lights and the truck wouldn’t go over 40mph. Dealer did quick scan and popped 4 transmission codes. Stuck in 3rd gear, gear ratio error, and a few others. Truck went into “limp mode”.

Ram care said they will get me a rental while it takes the dealer a week to even take a look.

My question is- can I demand a new vehicle? Consumer care act of 2015 seems to allow me to cancel the sale within 30 days.

Any advice? Legal or other ?

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I'd just make sure that they keep you in a no charge rental/loaner until they get the trans swapped out.

And no, you aren't entitled to a new truck.

Now, your dealership might swap out the truck for a new one if they had a suitable replacement and hopefully you paid cash and they haven't sent the paperwork to the Secretary of State. Unwinding a loan and all is a bigger undertaking. But that would be a dealership goodwill gesture only.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow! That's crazy. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get it all straight quickly.

Red

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Most likely either the factory or the dealer's prep guy failed to put fluid in the transmission. With no fluid the ATF temp sensor would not provide a reading as their would be nothing to measure.

Personal decision but if it was up to me I would return the truck and get a new one.

I have learned to assume nothing and so before accepting a new vehicle from the dealer I take 20 minutes and check ALL of the fluid levels and verify that there is a spare tire and that there is a tire jack and wrench for the lug nuts. It has proven to be a good investment of my time and is much better than having a problem and spending hours, days, weeks, or months trying to get it resolved. Once the vehicle is off the lot there is a lot less incentive or pressure on the dealer's people to fix problems.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Most likely either the factory or the dealer's prep guy failed to put fluid in the transmission. With no fluid the ATF temp sensor would not provide a reading as their would be nothing to measure.

Personal decision but if it was up to me I would return the truck and get a new one.

I have learned to assume nothing and so before accepting a new vehicle from the dealer I take 20 minutes and check ALL of the fluid levels and verify that there is a spare tire and that there is a tire jack and wrench for the lug nuts. It has proven to be a good investment of my time and is much better than having a problem and spending hours, days, weeks, or months trying to get it resolved. Once the vehicle is off the lot there is a lot less incentive or pressure on the dealer's people to fix problems.
I agree with you about thoroughly checking a vehicle out before signing the paperwork. But how did you check the trans fluid when there is no dip stick?

Exactly how would you go about returning the truck and getting a new one? That's not something you have a say in unless you go the lemon law route, which does not yet apply for the OP. I mean, you can always ask about it. Good luck actually getting a new truck though.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surely sounds like low ATF from factory, ridiculous.
Dealer will likely add fluid and off you go.

OP
OP
J

JonnyBgoode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for the reply, The tech that scanned the codes seemed to mention to the service manager about checking fluid in one of the quick comments they tossed around. Anyone know if Chrysler would extend a warranty to me? I plan to keep this car a long time. I stress over not knowing what will Prematurely break next.

also, if fluid if the problem, how much damage was done in the 130 miles I drove it? Or the 10 miles I limped to the dealer in limo mode?

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If they put fluid in (or forgot to check in the first place when selling you the vehicle) and it fixes it I would be VERY worried about long term problems.

Be sure everything is well documented...and I don't mean having the dealership keep the records. Get copies of everything you can.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
You can MAYBE get a new transmission. New truck? Are you smoking crack? Why the **** would you get an entire new truck because of a bad transmission?

OP
OP
J

JonnyBgoode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
**° UPDATE °**

Service advisor stated that the transmission fluid was low from the ‘factory’ and driving it without the proper fluid caused the tranny to fail. They sent fluid samples and other info to Chrysler who have approved my truck for a NEW transmission.

Let’s say dealer is supposed to check this on delivery- what else can I look for to see if anything was missed? Example: Engine oil ? What other damage could have been done?

any chance of ramcare offering extended warranty? I’m so upset about this!

sawman556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
In my experience, FCA is the worst to deal with. I had alignment problems with my 18 Hellcat Challenger which had to go back to the dealer a dozen times before it was fixed. At the time I ended up getting an attorney because I thought the car was unfixable. I was going to sue FCA to buy the car back. Big friggin hastle. FCA would not do anything other than tell me to take the car to the dealer. Well I finally found a shop that fixed it. I decided to keep the car and my attorney got me back $10k. FCA is a PITA.

I say let them put a new tranny in your truck and move on. You can always call 1-800-LEMONLAW and see what they can do, but at this point you don't have a case.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Doubtful you'll get an extended warranty out of this, but you can always ask. The worst thing that will happen is they laugh and look at you like you're crazy. Dealerships can't casually check the trans fluid because there is no dipstick. It's not your dealer's fault.

I think you're overreacting to this. It happens. Let them install the new trans and call it a day. The new transmission will be covered by the power train warranty. I'd be more worried if they just added fluid and sent you on your way. New transmission wouldn't worry me in the least.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know exactly what you're thinking.

If they forgot to add transmission fluid which is outlandish in my mind, what else did they forget.

Well it's called lack of QC, prominent today.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There should be a simple checklist when they're getting vehicles ready to go out the door on a sale. And if there was and it wasn't followed....then the dealership is not a very good one.

New transmission...covered under the full warranty...Sounds good to me. I'd check the engine oil though, just to be safe.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There should be a simple checklist when they're getting vehicles ready to go out the door on a sale. And if there was and it wasn't followed....then the dealership is not a very good one
There is a new vehicle checkout sheet that is supposed done and signed off by a mechanic, most likely it's pencil whipped.
For anyone buying a diesel, it used to state that a truck was supposed to be filled with DEF and the cost was to be picked up by FCA, it was rarely done.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ny lemon law

A new vehicle that was purchased, leased or registered in New York State for personal use and which manifests a serious problem or defect that is not corrected after four or more repair attempts, or is out of service due to repair for at least 30 days within the first 18,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first, may be eligible for lemon law relief through the arbitration program. If successful, the consumer will be entitled to either a full refund of the purchase price (less an allowance for mileage over 12,000 miles), or a comparable replacement vehicle. The prevailing consumer will also be awarded a return of the $250 arbitration filing fee

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
**° UPDATE °**

Service advisor stated that the transmission fluid was low from the ‘factory’ and driving it without the proper fluid caused the tranny to fail. They sent fluid samples and other info to Chrysler who have approved my truck for a NEW transmission.

Let’s say dealer is supposed to check this on delivery- what else can I look for to see if anything was missed? Example: Engine oil ? What other damage could have been done?

Which really sucks since you need an advance degree to check the fluid level. Very horrible.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
**° UPDATE °**

The trans is sealed. No way for the dealer to check during PDI. Just a fluke that unfortunately you got. If you had no engine oil you'd have gone about 10 miles....

Don't lose sleep. It's not worth worrying about what ifs... Don't give yourself an ulcer.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would be satisfied with the new tranny and be happy. My old 2007 Ram had a rear end whine that they could not get rid of. They replaced the entire rear end with new and I drove the truck for 13 years and 130,000+ miles. Your tranny was a fluke and you ended up with it.

Red

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I wouldn't be too concerned about it, especially since they're replacing the transmission. I'm on my third truck with the zf 8 speed and I've had no issues. Problems happen. People rush. Dealers assume. Consumers assume. It's how the problem is dealt with and how the dealer treats you that would make me feel comfortable / confident. You can certainly contact your dealer and then Ramcares and express your concerns for the longevity of the truck and they may throw an extended powertrain warranty on in good faith- I had the same done for me when they replaced the hemi on my '14 Ram 1500 with 12k miles on it. They also reimbursed me the loan amount for the time I was out of my truck (a couple months) and provided a rental. I have had excellent care from my dealer and Ramcares, but it usually takes some long talks on the phone articulating why this is a concern that FCA hasn't properly addressed, and why FCA should be inclined to do what you propose. Just remember, at the end of the day, they can tell you to pound sand because they're repairing the truck by replacing the transmission, which is the only known problem.